Wooden Spool and Nails Instructions

A friend of mine saw me making a bracelet. So she started telling me about another craft. She doesn't know how to start it or what it's called. First you hammer in 4 or 5 nails into a wooden spool (evenly spread out) and you have 5 strings.

You knot the strings and put that part through the hole in the middle of the spool. Then you are supposed to wrap the other end of the strings around the nails in some sort of pattern and pull the string that's through the hole to make it tight. That's all I know. Would anyone happen to know what the pattern to wrap the strings around the nails is?

Answers:

Wooden Spool and Nails Instructions

The technique you are referring to is called "spool knitting". There is a bigger version known as "rake knitting".

A site that gives simple instructions for the particular craft you are wanting information on can be found at

http://www.sweaterscapes.com/spool.htm

Also, if you type either "spool knitting" or "rake knitting" into a search engine you will find additional sites. (08/31/2005)

By Denise

Wooden Spool and Nails Instructions

Go to HGTV - Carol Duvall Show - episode cds1235
It shows you how to do a beaded strand but you could do a plain one too. When I was a kid (a million years ago) we used to do this with string or yarn and make useless trivets & potholders etc. We called it horse reins... now they have made it into something special. I love it. Anita (08/31/2005)

By GraNita

Wooden Spool and Nails Instructions

When I was a little girl we used to use what you are explaining. We would wait until our mom had an empty spool from thread & then our dad would nail in 4 evenly spaced nails. We would then take some yarn & knot the beginning of it & let it fall through the hole of the spool. Then you make a loop of yarn around each of the 4 nails & this is the important part GET A CROCHET HOOK preferably a small one & bring the yarn using the crochet hook over & under each loop.

Depending on how long a piece you "do" will determine what you can make with it. I used to make little rugs for my dollhouse & potholders for my mom for a Christmas surprise.

Good luck & thanks for bringing back the memories. (09/19/2005)

By kidena

Wooden Spool and Nails Instructions

I used to do the spool knitting when I was little. For my 5th birthday, I actually got a kit with the spool, 5 or 6 little balls of different color yarn and a small crochet needle. It was called a "Horse Range" set...why, I haven't the slightest clue. But now that I'm a Grandma, I wanted to try and find some instructions so I can teach my granddaughter. (11/27/2005)

By Teri E.

Crocheted Drying Hanger
Crocheted Drying Hanger
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Wooden Spoon Deer
Wooden Spoon Reindeer Craft
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 22, 2016 at 8:07:21 AM on 10.0.0.121 in 998 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.