Writing a Thank You Note

What is the appropriate time line for a grandchild to write a thank you note for a birthday present? Thank you.

By Charlotte

As a grandmother I know I would like to receive a thank-you note period-heck, just an email would be fabulous! Oh well:) He does say thank-you during phone calls.

A month is about as long as it should take for a grandchild to thank Gran for a gift-even an unwanted one. But don't blame the little one if you don't get a handwritten thank-you because parents are not diligent about thank-yous anymore. Haven't been for a long time actually; I remember how shocked my mother-in-law was when I made sure my son hand wrote a thank you back in the early 80's.

From one Grandma to another - good luck on that one! Things are not like they used to be. We have to keep up with the texting and the social networks, otherwise we are "out of the loop". Maybe the answer is to just e-mail them "good wishes" for their birthdays.

As soon as they receive it - and absolutely before they play with or use the gift or spend the money!

The sooner the better on writing a thank you note. But just be sure to do it. Even months later is better than never - probably 10-11 months is a bit long.

Probably within a few weeks, but hardly anyone writes thank you's anymore. It's a great lesson for a child, though.