Yo Yo Christmas Tree

Category Decorations
Yo Yo Christmas Tree
Covering a Styrofoam or paper cone with seasonal fabric yo yos is a fun way to make a Christmas tree decoration to grace your table or to brighten up a room for the holidays. This is a guide about yo yo Christmas tree.

I love making yo yos while watching TV. They are a great way of using up fabric scraps or can be made from fabric purchased especially for your yo yo craft project. I decided to use some left over yo yos from my Christmas garland to begin this project.

• 8 - 10 pieces of various cotton Christmas fabric
  • 1 package each red, green, gold, and pearlized white sequins
  • sequin pins
  • 1 Styrofoam tree (or paper)
  • 1 sewing needle and coordinating thread for yo yos
  • hot glue gun

1. Make yo yos. Follow this link for a short tutorial, if needed: Making Fabric Yo Yos.
    I made 16 large (2.5 inches finished), 41 medium (1.75 inches), 12 small (1 1/8 inches), and 22 extra small (5/8 inches). The sizes used are your choice.
  2. Starting with a large yo yo, push pin and sequin through yo yo from gathered side.
  3. Apply hot glue to the pin and the fabric at the top of the pin.
  4. Ad
  5. Beginning at the bottom of the Stryofoam cone (tree) attach the yo yos overlapping as shown in the photo. I attached them so that they extended just past the base of the cone.
  6. Continue adding and overlapping yo yos. I used two rows of the large and six of the medium yo yos.
  7. Ad
  8. The final two horizontal rows are made with the small yo yos. For the final row of small yo yos I used two different pieces of glittery white fabric, one with a bit of light blue, hoping to simulate a bit of snow.
  9. Ad
  10. The top of the cone is flat on these Styrofoam forms and I used the extra small yo yos in the white fabric to cover this area.
  11. I was not completely happy with the look of the snow, so I used some of the extra small white yo yos scattered down from the top to improve the final look. See the completed project photo at the top of this page.

So cute!

You could also do this with a foam wreath for your door.