Yorkshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos

Breed Description: The diminutive and glamorous Yorkshire Terrier is a very compact dog with a long, silky coat and an lively and ostentatious personality. Originally developed by the working class to control rats in mines and cotton mills, today the Yorkshire Terrier enjoys popularity as a beloved companion and show dog.

Group: Toy Group

Purpose of Breed: Hunting rats

Country of Origin: Great Britain

Average Size: Around 9 inches and up to 7 pounds.

Color(s): Steel blue and tan

Coat Type: The coat is shiny, soft, long and nearly perfectly straight.

Grooming: The Yorkshire Terrier's coat requires daily brushing and bathing once per month. The long hair over the eyes can be pinned up or clipped to avoid irritating the eyes. Dogs intended for show need special grooming. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads and nails. Teeth should be examined and cleaned regularly.

Exercise Needs: Yorkshire Terriers need only a moderate amount of exercise and make excellent apartment dogs.

Temperament: The Yorkshire Terrier is an active, intelligent little dog that is affectionate toward its owners and game for every family activity. Blessed with a dynamic personality, this breed sees itself as a "big dog in a little body." Yorkies are suitable dogs for the elderly and for homes with older children, as they dislike rough play. Loving and faithful, the dainty Yorkshire Terrier makes an ideal travel companion and playful family pet.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to eye irritations, tracheal collapse, premature dental disease and patellar luxation

Life Expectancy: The expected life span of the Yorkshire Terrier is 14-16 years.

Trivia: Newborn Yorkshire Terrier puppies are black when born.

More Information: Yorkshire Terrier Club of America, Inc.

Read More or Comment...

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Your Pet's Age
1 yr

Your Pet's Breed
Yorkie

How and when did you get your pet?
My daughters gave him to me as a birthday gift.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
He likes to play a lot; he is a very active dog. He has a lot of toys and he plays with all. He likes to take your shoes just for fun.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
He likes to model and he loves when you buy new clothes for him.

Comment Like this photo? 13

Thank you 

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Your Pet's Age
4 years old in February

Your Pet's Breed
Yorkie

How and when did you get your pet?
We got her right after her 2nd birthday. Her owner, Debra, was a breeder with over 20 dogs. She also worked with my husband, Phillip, in grocery retail. Debra found out she had brain cancer when Tinkerbell was one yr. old. Tinkerbell had become her own personal pet. She was so scared of everyone that Debra never could sell her.

A few years earlier I had lost my beloved little Yorkie, Sparky. It had broken my heart so badly that I had debated about getting another. When Sparky was 6 yrs. old, I became disabled with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Since I am always very tired and sleep more hours than I'm awake, I felt it would be unfair to get a puppy. I had been browsing adoption sites for a couple of years, but most of the Yorkies on them were seniors. I wanted one still in their youth.

Phillip and Debra had many conversations about me. Debra's daughter was diagnosed with CFS before Debra became ill. When she learned that she was quickly losing her battle against cancer, she spoke to Phillip. She wanted Tinkerbell to go to a home where she would be the center of attention. They decided on a surprise gift for my birthday which was a week after Tinkerbell's.

She gave me the greatest gift a person can give. She gave me back my life and my zest to live. Tinkerbell and I developed a bond that I didn't think possible with an animal. I changed her name from Lil One to Tinkerbell. We leash trained her. I taught her to say please, sit, down, sit up, play dead, roll over, shake, dance, and turn in circles. She's the smartest little diva I know and she's mine.

Comment Like this photo? 11

Just beautiful. Like you , I fall in love with my dogs so much that I fear loving another one after they die. But their love is worth the pain. Best wishes.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Abby wearing a skirt

She and her two brothers were the last puppies born at Northwoods Yorkies in Maine. I was in line to get the next little girl and that was Abby.

Pierre

I adopted Pierre from the Washington, DC Humane Society. He loves to run and nap. Pierre is a kind soul that brings so much joy to my home.

A yorkie sitting on a window seat.

Carley is 4 years old and a Tea Cup Yorkie. My friend gave her to me just before Christmas, 4 years ago

black and tan puppy

He is son to my Sweet Pea; 6/17/2016. He likes to chew on my toes.

A yorkie sitting in yellow flowers.

This little guy is Roscoe. He is almost 1 year old. Mr. Roscoe is a Yorkie. Santa Claus thought he needed a good home, so he was under the tree on Christmas morning. He loves to play fetch. Roscoe loves to play with and chase our German Shepard.

Tessa (Yorkshire Terrier)

Tessa was 13 years old and a Yorkie. I got my Tessa when my other Yorkie had a litter 13 years ago. She would like to go for walks and play with her toys.

Howard is an 8 month old toy Yorkie. I received an antique bird cage for Valentines Day so my husband took me to a pet expo. Instead of a bird, we found Howard!

Baby Woody (Yorkshire Terrier)

Baby Woody is 3 year old Yorkshire Terrier. He was a dog sold to the pet company store and came down with a collapsed trachea. They couldn't sell him since he was sick and nobody wanted him since he had issues. So we took him in and made him part of our family when he was 1 year old.

A yorkie sitting inside.

Lady Lacy Lovebug is a 5 year old Yorkie. I got her one year ago, rescued from a puppy mill. She likes to have her tummy rubbed. When we first got her, Lacy was very shy. It took a long time to get her to come out from under the furniture.

Sophie Francis King (Yorkie)

Sophie loves walks, playing with her toys, and dressing up for the Green Bay Packers football games. Sophie is so spoiled and lovable.

Ricco (Yorkshire Terrier)

Ricco is our 11 year old Yorkshire Terrier (teacup). My husband purchased him for me as a present. He plays tug of war with his toys! In this current photo Ricco is in desperate need of his bath.

Closeup black and white photo of Hershey.

Hershey was my 15 year old Yorkie. Hershey was a puppy from a previous litter I raised. Hershey liked to dress up and posed well for pics. At Halloween, in the past, she posed as The Great Artist! May she and all who went before and will follow rest in the loving arms of God!

Sir Bentley Charles is 1 and 9 months old. He is a Yorkie. A family had bought him and decided they no longer could take care of the Yorkie, so, I brought him into my home and may I say he is a gift from God.

Yorkie

He was a gift to my girlfriend. He sleeps with us like one of the family and we love him very much.

Marshall (Shih Tzu - Yorkshire Terrier) on the porch of a dollhouse.

We pulled up to this beautiful farm and the owner started putting near a dozen different breeds of small puppies in this octagon shaped fenced in area. I had my heart set on a small white pile of fluffy fur, but my kids got to them first.

A yorkie wearing a Harley Davidson hat.

Noel is a 2 year old yorkie. I got him two years ago before Christmas, and this is why I named him Noel. We go for car rides, and he rides with me on my Harley. He wears his clothes and riding goggles. I can't even call him D.O.G.

Jasper (Yorkshire Terrier)

Jasper is a 2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. We rescued Jasper from a shelter after the police raided a puppy mill operation. Adopt. Don't Shop!

Baby the Yorkie by Pink Stuffed Animal

Baby Girl is a 1 and a half year old Yorkie. I was searching the internet for a Teacup Yorkie one day, and I saw her picture and knew I had to have her. The very next day, I bought her.

Willie the Yorkie by a Teddy Bear

Willie is a 5 year old Yorkie. I got Willie about one year ago and he was a rescue. Plays with his brothers.

Ziva among the plants

I got her from a friend 9/01/09. She likes to chase a ball in the yard or play fetch; also search for chipmunks.

A dog lying on a red blanket.

Sammi was 13 in this pic. She's a Yorkie I got in Maryland from a breeder in '98. Sammi is no longer with us, she passed a couple of months ago. She was a very sweet little girl and she used to love to lay in the sun and run in the grass. A great soul who will be missed.

Bella the Yorkie Dog

Bella (AKA Baby) is a 4 year old Yorkie. My daughter was moving this past summer and she couldn't have a dog in her new place. I became the new momma to Bella. My daughter worked, so Bella was often alone.

Molly

Molly was 4 weeks old when I met her and her siblings. Mum and dad were doing a great job of getting their pups ready for their new homes and Molly had a determination in her to find me, with being the smallest pup she didn't let that stop her and she was perfect.

Muffin ready for Halloween.

Muffin was born on Cinco de Mayo 2005 and gotten by my mom at a puppy mill.

Penny-Candy (Yorkshire Terrier)

Penny-Candy is a 6 year old Yorkshire Terrier. We adopted Penny 2 years ago from a Rescue Source in St. Louis, Missouri. She was very skinny, no hair, and was used for breeding purposes only.

Photo of Louie Yorkie Dog

Louie is a 5 year old Yorkie rescue that we adopted a year ago. He has become my most loyal companion and is a wonderful addition to our family! Louie not only loves to play hide and seek; he also likes to corral our cat for us!

Karlee with tongue out to give kisses

A couple years ago I was blessed to be given Karlee when she was 4 years old. She stole my heart immediately. Her favorite thing to do is give kisses which she is showing you in this picture.

Sophie (Yorkshire Terrier)

Sophie is my baby Yorkie girl. She is 5 weeks old. I got her from a breeder. I'm so happy I got my baby. She will be such a spoiled girl.

Sophie with potted petunias.

I got Sophie 4 years ago from a dog breeder here in Wisconsin. She likes to go for walks, play with her ball and toys.

A dog with goggles on.

PeeWee likes to run, jump, try to catch birds, squirrels, mice, rats or cats, or anything else that moves. He also loves to hang out of the car window. He is like a two year old with wings, but also a real trooper, a very fun pal.

Sasha is 3 years old and a Yorkshire Terrier. I adopted Sasha in November 2008 from The Miami Animal Shelter with the help of Jennifer from United Yorkie Rescue.

Jake wearing a neck scarf

I rescued Jake 5 years ago.bJake likes to play tug of war and chase birds flying over and play with the cats.

Coco (Yorkshire Terrier)

This is our Coco. We got her in December 2010. She is 18 months old. We recently moved to Richmond, VA and our family and friends are in Buffalo, NY. We haven't been home since we moved.

Hank (Yorkshire Terrier) and Harley (Miniature Doberman) - looking out the window.

I took this picture of my Yorkshire terrier, Harley and my miniature doberman, Hank. When I raise the blinds in my bedroom, they both love to get up on the bed and watch people and cars move through the parking lot.

Webster and Mitzi in a patriotic sailor parade float.

Webster is a 13 year old Yorkie. I got Webster when he was 3 months old and weighed 2 pounds. It was love at first sight! Webster has been quite the entertainer in his day. He counts, multiplies, and divides in English and Spanish.

Ceasar (Yorkshire Terrier)

Ceasar is a 4 year old Yorkshire Terrier. I got him from a breeder. He likes to play with his toys.

Rascal will be 5 months on the 24th. He is a full blooded Yorkie. I met my breeder on the internet and picked him up when he was 9 weeks old.

yorkies

Stella and Gunner are Yorkies. Stella and Gunner belong to my son Justin and his girlfriend Amanda. Stella has been a part of the family for several years now and Gunner (the one-eyed wonder) was rescued from a home this past year in Austin.

Load More