Creating a Leaf Collection
Collect, store, and classify leaves you find in your backyard!
Approximate Time: Ongoing
- wax paper
- 3-ring binder
- plastic business card sleeves or plastic DVD sleeves for larger leaves
- leaf dichotomous key
- construction paper
- three ring binder
- Collect leaves from your backyard and put them into a shoebox.
- Using wax paper, iron both sides of the leaf to preserve it on a low, dry setting.
- Slip leaves into a plastic sleeve that fits in a 3-ring binder (I used plastic business card sleeves and plastic DVD sleeves for larger leaves).
- Use construction paper to brighten up the collection, and provide a space to label the leaves.
- Use online dichotomous keys to classify your plants based on appearance.
Enjoy your keepsake leaf collection!
By GRAPE from Collegeville, PA
Read feedback for this post below.
Click here to post feedback.
Absolutely love it! Thank you!
Great way to encourage kids to care about science and enjoy nature! Thanks for sharing your collection!
Add your voice to the conversation.