Overcooking popcorn in the microwave can result in a burnt odor and staining. This is a guide about removing burnt popcorn smell and stains from a microwave.
I am writing to thank the person who said acetone free nail polish remover would remove the yellow stain in my microwave oven left after seriously burning a bag of microwave popcorn. She was absolutely right on! At first, I tried 10 ounces water and three teabags boiled and letting it steam the inside of the microwave but this did not get rid of the smell nor the yellow stain. I also tried soft scrub, 409 glass and surface cleaner, and vinegar water. Each of those cleaned the microwave of the first layer of carbon from the burned popcorn but did not take care of the smell nor the yellow stain. The yellow stain was removed only by the acetone free nail polish remover, which I tried in a small spot first because I thought for sure the paint enamel would peel right off. I don't believe everything I read. I cleaned the yellow stain off with acetone free nail polish using lots of cotton balls. So go at the problem like this:
By Sunshine from Columbus, ND
Yes! The nail polish definitely worked! I tried everything I could think of to remove it. Nothing worked but the nail polish remover. I went over it again and again, I'd say that 95% of the yellow is gone, a vast improvement.
How do I get rid of the odor from burning popcorn in a microwave oven?
By Gloria L.
I posted if nothing else works cleaning paste. It is what I used to use when my son did this quiet often (was in last weeks). It really works on so many things. You mix same amounts of baking soda to whitening toothpaste (cheap kind is fine) it will lightly clean the microwave, and leave behind a fresh smell (if any at all) the baking soda has never failed me in helping with odors. This paste is one that I made (was out of what it usually called for), I am so glad I did!
A story; I had the bright idea to put my tooth brush heads in the microwave to kill germs. Stupidly not realizing it had metal in it, talk about a smell, as well as black smoke marks all over. My paste did great!
I hope it works for you,it get rid of marks on the wall and tennis shoes. I always have it made. Luck to you!
I burnt something, and wiped out the microwave with baking soda and water. I also kept a box of baking soda in it for several weeks. Eventually, the smell dissipated. The smell seemed to have permeated right into the interior parts of the machine and the exhaust smelled burnt for quite a while afterwards. It did go away.
Try a bowl of water with vanilla extract.Heat to a boil and leave in there for about 20 minutes then wipe with clean cloth.
Had this situation years ago. I tried everything I could think of, and eventually the smell went away. Wash the entire interior. Boil cups of vinegar in it. Let bowls of vinegar sit in it overnight. You may find that the interior doesn't smell, but using the micro starts up the odor. In that case, wash interior and keep bowls of vinegar in it overnight.
Vinegar= apple cider or white.
I burned popcorn in a microwave. How do I get rid of the smell first and if possible the yellowing on the plastic liner?
By Nancy from Harrisburg, NC
I used Soft Scrub and a little elbow grease and it cleaned off all of the yellow stain left by 'Extra Butter Popcorn' that had accumulated for a while. As for the odor, try a small bowl of half water and half lemon juice concentrate and microwave it till it is near boiling. Then shut off the microwave and let it sit in there for about a half hour or so. As for the house, I'm afraid you are going to have to open the windows, turn on all fans, and wait! After most is cleared out, spray with any scent of Febreze, which is a great odor remover.
How do you get burned popcorn smell out of a microwave?
By Tracy from Pasadena, MD
A teenager in a normal hurry exploded the high oil popcorn in the microwave. Help!
By kwren from Dallas
How do I get horrid, burnt popcorn smell out of the microwave and house? And how do I get yellow stains out of the microwave from burnt popcorn?
By MP from Birmingham, AL
Wipe it down with vinegar! Set a cup of vinegar in the microwave, set timer for 1 minute and remain overnight, in the am, set again for 1 minute; then the stains should wipe out, the vinegar smell will only be short-lived if you leave the door open for a while. (07/29/2010)