Lids cut from food cans using a side-cutting type can opener can be made into charming low-cost unique ornaments for the tree or wall hangings.
Approximate Time: 10-15 minutes
- Side-cutting can opener
- Christmas fabric with desire motifs
- Quilt batting or other padding material
- Cool melt glue gun
- Metal lids cut using a side-cutting can opener
- Felt in matching color
- Narrow ribbon in matching color
- Pre-gathered lace or other trim to compliment fabric
- Remove lids from cans of various sizes using a side-cutting type can opener. Check for sharp edges, and wash lids.
- Use the lid as a template to mark the various materials needed. For each ornament, mark:
- One motif fabric circle on the back of the fabric. Make sure there is at least a 1/2 inch margin around it. (This piece needs to be cut larger than the lid
- Two pieces of thin, or one piece of thick quilt batting
- one piece of felt
- Cut out the motif fabric at least 1/2 inch larger than the marked line, and cut the rest of the pieces on the marked line.
- Place the batting inside the lid rim on the outside of the lid. It can be tacked down with a small dot of glue to keep it in place.
- Lay the lid with the batting face-down on the motif fabric, checking to be sure the motif on the fabric is centered on the lid. Use the glue gun and tack down the fabric edges to the back of the lid, pulling the fabric slightly tight, alternating side to side with your glue spots to keep it centered.
- Tack down the lace to the back of the ornament. Make sure it is gathered enough to lie flat, and plan on overlapping on a side or bottom of the ornament.
- Attach a loop of ribbon for a hanger to the back of the ornament at the top.
- Glue the piece of felt to the back all the way around.
Now you are done.
By Wanda from Winnemucca, NV
Related Content(article continues below)
Read More Comments
December 24, 20090 found this helpful
This is a super idea! You are recycling and making an homemade ornament at the same time. I am going to do this one. Thanks for the idea!
I bought a Pampered Chef can opener and my husband and I had a time figuring out how to use it! When we did, I found a new source of craft materials - can lids! With this can opener, the edges are smooth. You could also use lids from frozen fruit juice concentrate.
Approximate Time: 15 minutes
- Smooth-edged Can Lids
- Primer paint
- Trims, Embellishments
- Ribbon for Ornaments
- Magnet for Memo Holders
Prime the lids and allow to dry. Cut photo to fit lid and attach.
Attach trims such as tinsel pipe cleaner for Christmas Ornament (shown) or coordinating rick rack for memo holder, as well as beads or tiny flowers, etc.
Attach ribbon to top for ornament. Attach magnet to back for memo holder.
By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA
August 28, 20090 found this helpful
This is great! Thanks for sharing with us!