Many recipes call for a can of cream soup, but this can add unwanted fat and salt to the finished dish. This base is easily made at home. This page contains cream soup base recipes.
Canned soups are not good for the blood pressure so I make my own. It is cheaper and better.
Approximate Time: 5 minutes
Yield: equals 1 can of soup
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Stir in flour, stirring until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Add broth and milk, a little at a time, keeping stirring until smooth.
- Return to heat. Bring sauce to a slow boil.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed
- Use in recipes in place of canned cream soups.
Add herbs and or seasonings, as desired. You can add vegetable broth, sauteed chopped celery, celery seed, sauteed chopped mushrooms, whatever you want.
Source: Found this in a recipe file
We use this one at home and when in the RV.
Creamy Soup Base
This easy-to-make soup base will keep in your refrigerator. Then, simply use it as the creamy soup base mix in both of the recipes below for a quick and healthy weeknight meal. Makes 3 cups of dry mix.
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup instant chicken bouillon
- 1 Tbsp. dried onion flakes
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
Five minutes to prepare dry mix
Be sure all equipment and ingredients are dry. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
California Medley Cheese Soup
- 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup dry creamy soup base mix
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
Add frozen chopped vegetables to 3 cups boiling water and cook slightly. Mix dry creamy soup base mix with cold water in small bowl. Add cold soup mix to boiling water when vegetables are crispy and tender. Add 2 tablespoons of grated cheese just before serving. Cover and refrigerate leftovers within two hours.
Yields 7 1/2 cups
Chicken or Turkey Broccoli Casserole
- 1 lb. fresh, or one 10-ounce package frozen broccoli
- 1 cup cooked chicken or turkey (can use canned chicken if your cooking time is limited)
- 1/3 cup dry creamy soup base mix with 1 1/4 cup water stirred in
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- Cooked pasta, brown or white rice, or noodles.
Wash and cook broccoli until crispy tender. Dice cooked chicken or turkey. Cover bottom of casserole dish with cooked broccoli. Cover broccoli with poultry, and soup and water mixture. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes or microwave for 15 minutes, turning once.
Serve over cooked pasta, rice or noodles. Cover and refrigerate leftovers within two hours.
Source: MO extension center
By Mom-from-missouri from NW Missouri
Does anyone have a recipe for cream soup base? I used to have one that I made up, similar to white sauce with a few more ingredients, then I could add any meat or vegetable to it.
AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read More Answers...
Try a "cream" soup base without the cream or the flour. I make a "Creamy" Zucchini Soup with Chicken that uses zucchini cooked in chicken broth then pureed in the blender and added to the soup pot. Delicious!
ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A can of cream of chicken soup blended with 6 cups water, makes a good base for chicken or turkey soup, with rice or noodles. Also quick and easy for dumplings!
By Lorac456 from Searcy, AR