Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Tape Residue From Clothing and Fabric

A name tag, price sticker or tape can leave adhesive on cloth. This guide is about removing tape residue from clothing or fabric.

June 26, 2013 Flag

I searched on how to remove no sew tape residue from clothing. The easiest solution was the paper towel remedy. Just lay the paper towel over the residue and iron over it. Press down firmly and voila! No more residue. Simple is best!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

This worked a treat for me. Change the paper towel often and use a single or double thickness only. My DH used duct tape to hem our daughter's school skirt! So lots of very sticky residue left on the fabric. Took about half an hour of ironing to remove it.

January 9, 2010 Flag

How can I remove the paper and glue that is on fabric samples?

By Jean from OK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Dip a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol, then saturate the area with the liquid. Let the area sit for several minutes, then peel up the sticker residue. Good luck.

Best Answer

Poured alcohol directly on polyester golf shirt that had been washed and dryed with name tag on it . As soon as i did i rubbed it and it immediately rolled right off with no residue.

February 4, 2017 Flag

I washed and dried a newly purchased top and then found that one of those clear size stickers was still on it (right down the middle of the front). I removed the sticker and now the fabric is sticky. How do I remove the sticky residue?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

From Real Simple:

Pick off what you can, then wet the shirt and rub it with a microfiber cloth and a little dish soap to remove any residue. Soak the garment in warm water for 20 minutes, then air-dry.

June 30, 2015 Flag

How do I remove adhesive residue remaining on fabric?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

try rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover, but a product called GooGone or UnGu works best. You may have to wash the fabric after use the last two products.

rubbing alcohol broke down the adhesive on my new shirt that a size tag had deposited, then I used scotch tape to pick up those remaining bits.

January 8, 2015 Flag

I used iron-on tape to put a piece of fabric on another piece of fabric. I put it on wanksrong and had to take it off. The fabric came off, but the glue stayed on. I can't get the glue off. Hope you can help.

By Marie C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A product called Un-Du will remove the adhesive. It will also remove smeared hot glue. You can get it at any craft store. I have also seen it at Lowes. Hope this helps.

I soaked the area if fabric in vodka (had on hand!) for four minutes, then peeled carefully with fingernail. It did come off. The die didn't come out, but it was a very fine cobwebby fabric, so the weave was somewhat disturbed.I had used vodka on adhesive on my refrigerator with good results.

September 10, 2014 Flag

How do I remove tape residue from a sport shirt? The paper towel/iron method did not remove the stickiness. What else can I do?

By Marie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I once dropped a towel on a bug glue trap. I used baby oil to make the adhesive gummy enough to ball up, then used rubbing alcohol to clear up the oily-ness. That was just a towel and not a shirt I had to wear...

Use your best judgement before trying that on your sport shirt!

I used paper towel and hot form and it removed the sticker residue that was put on the pants for the size. thanks

August 29, 2014 Flag

My daughter put duck tape around the headrest in my car. I am trying to figure out how to take off the tape residue?

By Mirna S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Peanut butter or mayonnaise often works. If those don't, you can get some Goo Gone and that will work. Good luck!

WD-40 might work.

March 30, 2015 Flag

I bought the shirt on eBay as, "new with tag". The same tag since the shirt sat on display for an entire golf season. There is a perfect ractangular tape strip discoloration where the adhesive attached the tag to the front of the shirt. What is the best way to remove this adhesive on the shirt without adding to my woes?

By Jeff

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Take a q-tip (so you can be precise with what you are touching) and use nail polush remover, or the equivelant, like paint thinner or acetone. it will work, there is also goo gone.

March 16, 2015 Flag

I had a cardboard box with tape on it sitting on my car seat and it left marks on the seat. Can anybody help how to remove the tape residue? Thank you.

By Pavla from Cairns, QLD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using sos pads.

April 19, 2015 Flag

How do I remove duct tape residue from fabric?

By Joanne W from Lynn, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 14, 2011 Flag

How do you get sticky tape off of nylon shorts?

By Tammy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you are sure it is nylon, try some lacquer thinners. First test on a spot that cannot be seen.

Mayonnaise, ice & a scraper (paint). Or Ask Helowise, Good Housekeeping.com Good Luck. : )

March 1, 2015 Flag

I have duct tape on my tablecloth and I want to remove the tape without tearing my tablecloth.

By Stacey

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 14, 2014 Flag

Will masking tape come off sewn material?

By Tina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 15, 2014 Flag

Sticky web tape has been used for shortening the curtains. Now I want to take them down, but it has left part of the tape on them.

By Sandra

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 9, 2014 Flag

I have a pink winter jacket. I took off the duct tape, but I noticed a lot of residue. How do I remove it?

By Christine

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 15, 2007 Flag

I recently purchased a skirt but the manufacturer forgot to remove some masking tape around the hem. Now there is a slight sticky residue, but even worse, the fabric is discolored. I have tried soaking and washing with Woolite, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the stain? Thanks!

inkybinky from Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There should be a tag inside the garment, perhaps down the seam somewhere to tell you it's fabric content. If washable, I'd definitely use WD-40, letting

it sit for 30 minutes, then rubbing gently with a folded paper towel on top, another under the fabric to soak up any residue from the back. It works wonders for most all sticky stuff on most every surface. The color should return once the sticky is off

it. Repeat as often as necessary, careful not to OVER

spray the spot, and only IF it begins to come off.

Once off, toss and wash as usual but remember that the spray is flammable and should be sprayed outside only. Then, hand rinse gently with Dawn before machine wash/dry. Good luck. God bless you. : )

Thank you very much Lynda... I will try that!

Alana

www.bluemellow.com

November 22, 2005 Flag

I have gotten a black stain from hockey stick tape on a brand new white t-shirt. It got wet and the colors/dyes from it ran. What can I do to get it out? Keep in mind there is a fairly large logo on the front, however the stains are on the arm and the back.

Thanks for any help.

Revolution from Toronto (Canada)

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you tried using something called "GOO BE GONE"? I use it on numerous things and hve never had it not work. I even had to use it on my dog. he got into a sticky trap, one used for mice, and it worked like a charm, and didn't hurt the dog at all. You can buy it almost anywhere. Also, you can try that oxyclean, again, I've used it on several occasions, it works great to get stains out of carpet, just make sure it doesn't damage the material you are using it on.

October 30, 2010 Flag

How do you remove glue from duct tape off of clothes?

By Debbie from Kosciusko, MS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 1, 2010 Flag

I used that sticky hem tape on some cotton duck curtains and now it's peeling off and I'd like to remove the sticky. Can I use something like Goo Be Gone on it? Is there something better?

By Renee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning TipsMay 12, 2013
tape rolls
Removing Tape Residue From Walls
Dry Erase Board
Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Dry Erase Board
Duct Tape
Removing Duct Tape From Carpet
A photo with tape on it.
Removing Tape Residue on Photos
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 7:27:41 AM on 10.0.2.68 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.