Removing Tape Residue From Clothing and Fabric

A name tag, price sticker or tape can leave adhesive on cloth. This guide is about removing tape residue from clothing or fabric.

roll of tape
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 17, 2010 Flag

How can I remove the glue from a "My Name Is" sticker on a polyester shirt?

By Bernadette from NJ

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I just voted and placed the I VOTED sticker on the lapel of my new polyester jacket only to find out it left a adhesive stain when I peeled it off later. My girlfriend suggested placing scotch tape across the area and pressing down with your finger then quickly ripping it off. Worked like a charm!

Best Answer

Use duct tape to take off the sticky stuff and then wash it to remove the residue.

Best Answer

Rub some cornstarch baby powder on it. Then brush off with a clothes brush, wash in warm water. Do not dryer dry unless you see it is off. If not, take a wet washcloth and rub it like you would a stain. Do not use any applications that would have an oil base to it. This will enhance the stain after the glue is off.

Read More Answers...

June 26, 2013 Flag

I searched on how to remove no sew tape residue from clothing. The easiest solution was the paper towel remedy. Just lay the paper towel over the residue and iron over it. Press down firmly and voila! No more residue. Simple is best!

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 9, 2010 Flag

How can I remove the paper and glue that is on fabric samples?

By Jean from OK

Best Answer

Dip a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol, then saturate the area with the liquid. Let the area sit for several minutes, then peel up the sticker residue. Good luck.

kffrmw88

Will you please tell me does the rubbing alcohol discolor the fabric? Will wait your reply before trying. Thank you

Dear KFFRMW88,

Thank you so very much. Decided to go ahead and try it on the bottom of fabric where the paper was glued on . Lo and behold it worked! The fabric is fine. I assumed that if it stained that area of the fabric I wouldn't loose anything. If it didn't work I would have to cut that area of fabric off any way. You are a absolute jewel!

With appreciation,

jean b.

June 30, 2015 Flag

How do I remove adhesive residue remaining on fabric?

try rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover, but a product called GooGone or UnGu works best. You may have to wash the fabric after use the last two products.

August 29, 2014 Flag

My daughter put duck tape around the headrest in my car. I am trying to figure out how to take off the tape residue?

By Mirna S.

Peanut butter or mayonnaise often works. If those don't, you can get some Goo Gone and that will work. Good luck!

WD-40 might work.

March 30, 2015 Flag

I bought the shirt on eBay as, "new with tag". The same tag since the shirt sat on display for an entire golf season. There is a perfect ractangular tape strip discoloration where the adhesive attached the tag to the front of the shirt. What is the best way to remove this adhesive on the shirt without adding to my woes?

By Jeff

Take a q-tip (so you can be precise with what you are touching) and use nail polush remover, or the equivelant, like paint thinner or acetone. it will work, there is also goo gone.

March 16, 2015 Flag

I had a cardboard box with tape on it sitting on my car seat and it left marks on the seat. Can anybody help how to remove the tape residue? Thank you.

By Pavla from Cairns, QLD

Try using sos pads.

January 8, 2015 Flag

I used iron-on tape to put a piece of fabric on another piece of fabric. I put it on wanksrong and had to take it off. The fabric came off, but the glue stayed on. I can't get the glue off. Hope you can help.

By Marie C.

A product called Un-Du will remove the adhesive. It will also remove smeared hot glue. You can get it at any craft store. I have also seen it at Lowes. Hope this helps.

September 10, 2014 Flag

How do I remove tape residue from a sport shirt? The paper towel/iron method did not remove the stickiness. What else can I do?

By Marie

I once dropped a towel on a bug glue trap. I used baby oil to make the adhesive gummy enough to ball up, then used rubbing alcohol to clear up the oily-ness. That was just a towel and not a shirt I had to wear...

Use your best judgement before trying that on your sport shirt!

May 14, 2011 Flag

How do you get sticky tape off of nylon shorts?

By Tammy

If you are sure it is nylon, try some lacquer thinners. First test on a spot that cannot be seen.

How about cotton? I dried my pants at work and ended up with a spot of a glued area from the dryer and it simply will not come out.

Any help out there?

Gem

Mayonnaise, ice & a scraper (paint). Or Ask Helowise, Good Housekeeping.com Good Luck. : )

January 15, 2007 Flag

I recently purchased a skirt but the manufacturer forgot to remove some masking tape around the hem. Now there is a slight sticky residue, but even worse, the fabric is discolored. I have tried soaking and washing with Woolite, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the stain? Thanks!

inkybinky from Canada

There should be a tag inside the garment, perhaps down the seam somewhere to tell you it's fabric content. If washable, I'd definitely use WD-40, letting

it sit for 30 minutes, then rubbing gently with a folded paper towel on top, another under the fabric to soak up any residue from the back. It works wonders for most all sticky stuff on most every surface. The color should return once the sticky is off

it. Repeat as often as necessary, careful not to OVER

pray the spot, and only IF it begins to come off.

Once off, toss and wash as usual but remember that the spray is flammable and should be sprayed outside only. Then, hand rinse gently with Dawn before machine wash/dry. Good luck. God bless you. : )

Thank you very much Lynda... I will try that!

Alana

www.bluemellow.com

November 22, 2005 Flag

I have gotten a black stain from hockey stick tape on a brand new white t-shirt. It got wet and the colors/dyes from it ran. What can I do to get it out? Keep in mind there is a fairly large logo on the front, however the stains are on the arm and the back.

Thanks for any help.

Revolution from Toronto (Canada)

Have you tried using something called "GOO BE GONE"? I use it on numerous things and hve never had it not work. I even had to use it on my dog. he got into a sticky trap, one used for mice, and it worked like a charm, and didn't hurt the dog at all. You can buy it almost anywhere. Also, you can try that oxyclean, again, I've used it on several occasions, it works great to get stains out of carpet, just make sure it doesn't damage the material you are using it on.

October 30, 2010 Flag

How do you remove glue from duct tape off of clothes?

By Debbie from Kosciusko, MS

Home and Garden Cleaning TipsMay 12, 2013
      tape rolls
      Removing Tape Residue From Walls
      Dry Erase Board
      Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Dry Erase Board
      Duct Tape
      Removing Duct Tape From Carpet
      A photo with tape on it.
      Removing Tape Residue on Photos
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:06:54 PM on 10.0.0.85 in 399 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.