Browsing: Getting Rid of Lady Bugs

Ladybug Problem

Would anyone know how to get rid of ladybugs? At first I thought they were so pretty, but they have infested my walls and ceilings. I live in the country, but the windows were closed all winter.

Thank you.
Gertrude

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Oh, Gertrude, this is not a problem! This is a blessing. Living in the country you need Ladybugs to rid your outdoor plants of aphids. They "hole up" in the window sashes and such in winter, but will soon disappear and you will find nary a one, unless you find them hard at work around your outdoor plants.

Sandra - Upstate NY

Best Answer

Capture them and sell them to a nursery, or send them to friend's who garden (esp. in the southern part of the U.S.)! Ladybugs feast on many of the garden pests that devastate gardens. I can understand why you don't want them in your house however! Please don't kill them though as they are so beneficial to have around. I would love to have some.

Helpful Reader and Holly

they AREN'T the garden-helpers variety- they are just nasty smelly and annoying- vacuum them up and empty the cup into a tied bag in your trash-

Best Answer

Here's a great online resource with information about ladybugs.

Helpful Reader

Best Answer

OK. I know Ladybugs are beneficial. I know they eat aphids. I now they are a great alternative to pesticides in the garden. Blah blah blah....I HATE THEM!! For those of you who say they aren't a problem and they will just hide in the sashes till spring. Or those who say to just "seal" up your house so they don't get in. To those who think a "few" lady bugs can be tolerated...you have NO IDEA what some of us are going through. Maybe you have 20 or 30 cute little bugs walking around in your house....but when fall comes I have MILLIONS all over my house. They are so thick you can't even see through them on the windows and walls outside. Seal the house up?? Sure...but when you open the door to go out or come in from outside hundreds fly in as soon as the door opens. They are in my bed, in my food, in my shower and in the closets and drawers with my clothing. I have a garden and a small farm. I get my water from a well. I undersdtand about chemicals and pesticides in the ground water and around my animals and children...but I kill these PESTS every chance I get and by any means necessary. In the fall when they first gather I use a pump sprayer and a strong pesticide and spray several times a day the outside walls of our house. The bugs pile up in heaps at the base of the house...but new ones replace those and I spray em again. Once again....if you think they are "cute" and "lucky" and "nice to have around" then you don't have a clue as to what some of us are talking about.

Editor's Note: Here is a good article about them and controlling them: http://www.thebeneficialinsectco.com/help/asian-lady-beetles.htm

Thank you, people just have a tendency to laugh it off, say oh yeah I have them too. But when it comes down to it they have 5 or 6. They have no clue what I go through all winter. Like you said they invade every part of your life. And I have tried all kinds of suggestions to no avail.

We are in Western Kentucky and I don't think they're cute either. I've lost count the number of times I've been woken up in the middle of the night from them biting me. And those suckers HURT!!!! I kill every one of them that I see. We too live in the country on a small farm with a well, but we're at the point of breaking out the chemicals too!

Same problem. Freaks me out when they come augering down on the dinner table...especially when I have company. I have a Nutone central vac so when I sweep them up, they go into a sealed container in the garage. That container must have a million of them in there by now. Hope they are cannibalizing each other.

you are the 1st person in 10 yrs that explained the problem of asian beetles the way I would. I live in the country, in central Minnesota and in the fall, late September, I get millions of them too. Catch&Release--really!There isn't enough caulk in this State to adequately seal double hung windows, lap siding, roof vents, crawl space under the house and 2 doors leading to the outside. Question; were I able to do all this caulking, do I caulk myself in or caulk myself out. I have had a 'no nothing' exterminator out, I have burned out 2 vacs. while sucking them up and I have sprayed 6-8 different, recommended pesticides. It's been now recommended that I buy and try a $150 dyna trap(elect bug sapper).

DOES ANYONE REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT WHEN IT COMES TO TREATING ASIAN BEETLES

Best Answer

You people don't understand they fly in your food while eating in your coffee pot and end up in your coffee. Needless to say the rest. I was sitting at the table eating dinner and one flew in my plate. Yummy! NOT. And like someone else said these are not lady bugs. They are Asian beettes and they are in my house by the thousands also. I guess I will just start trying stuff and let everyone know my progress. Best wishes to my self. I will start with the recipe given as

1/2 cup water

1 Tbs. vinegar

1 squirt dish soap

1 Tbs. sugar

Place in a milk jug near infestation.

I will give it a week and come back and post.

In reference to the ladybugs, we also have a ladybug problem,they are everywhere. So far we've found no real way to get rid of them. Although, I have found that if I leave the outer window cracked open, it seems to cut down on the amount that stay inside. Then I just vacuum up the rest.

B.

If those bugs are more on the orange side than a true red, they may not be ladybugs at all. Asian beetles look like ladybugs but are orange and they are more likely to cause the infestation that she was speaking of. You definitely want to dispose of these bugs, they really are not beneficial like ladybugs are and they can stain whatever they are sitting on (drapes, tablecloths, carpet). I have had some in my house and I try to keep them vacuumed up.

Sue, Wisconsin

Mulberry candles burn them in every room of your home the ladybugs don't like them and they leave. Mulberry and I heard bayberry candles work too. but I know Mulberry does work. Home Interior candles are so far the best. the stronger the candle smells the faster it works Sarah Pa.

Sandra,

I don't consider them a blessing. There are thousands in my house and when the infestation is at its worst, 10s of thousands! They are like a plague. All I do is vacuum them up, at least 10 times a day. They get in our food, our bed, stain furniture, walls. Rarely has an introduced species ever been a benefit.

Use a shop vac when you vacuum them up, because they smell terrible if you use your household vacuum cleaner! And, while I am a gardener and appreciate beneficial insects, these little pests are not benefitting nature if they are in my house!

Today, I was sitting on the computer doing my homework and looked out the window to see about 30 ladybug beetles things on the window. So I scooped them into a water bottle and spray it with febreeze and nail polish remover and sometimes soda. Although it's not stopping the problem it slows it down. I'm going to try the mixture that 'Mary Ann' posted.

I have to get rid of them. My 11 month old put one in his mouth. Yuck, they have to go. Please help me do so.

I came home to my boyfriend preforming a holocaust on all my lady bugs and was so sad! I loved them! I personally have thousands of them and he was vacuuming them! Then I found out they were Asian beetles. Fudge that, I don't want Asian beetles in my house! Gonna try the candles first. Hopefully they'll go away!

Okay. I live in Wisconsin and I have some lady bugs in my house. I kill them, but for some reason I keep seeing more and more. Is there anyway that I can get them all out of my house? If so, just comment back. Thanks.

I saw two ladybugs three days ago, two days ago there were 15, today there were way too many.

I filled a juice bottle with 1/2 cup water, some sugar, a splash of vinegar, and a squirt of dish soap. Shake a bit. When they are on the ceiling, put the bottle opening over them and gently move it, so they fall in. If they're on a wall use a piece of paper to nudge them in. They instantly die. It's time consuming, but I dont have a vacuum.

Then I found their favorite places (a corner of the kitchen, a specific window, and where the wall hits the ceiling.) I sprayed it with lemon lysol. I heard somewhere that they hate lemon, but maybe other cleaners will work. They drop immediately, scoop them up and put them in the bottle, to kill them instantly.

I heard they like blacklights, so if more come out tomorrow I'm going to put the vinegar sugar solution in a clear container, and put it over the blacklight on the floor. Hopefully they will all fly to their death.

Hi, My name is Rebecca and I'm the producer on a new Animal Planet series called Extreme Infestation.

I am looking for stories relating to severe infestations of any kind of animals, including ladybugs, cockroaches, rats, mice, spiders, toads, frogs, termites, wood worm, even bears! The series will look at the science of each type of infestation, as well as the stories of those who experienced them.

If you have been unlucky enough to experience an extreme infestation in your home or workplace, please do drop me a line at rebecca.north AT darlowsmithson.com. We are especially interested in hearing from people who filmed some home video footage of the event.

Darlow Smithson is a respected documentary conpany based in London, England. You can find out more about us by visiting our website at www.darlowsmithson.com.

We will be filming across the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand in a few months time.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Rebecca

Ive burned white sage and it seemed to help a lot.

Getting Rid of Lady Bugs
Getting Rid of Lady Bugs
Home and Garden Pest Control BugsApril 21, 2000
Tent caterpillars in a tree.
Getting Rid of Tent Caterpillars
Fly paper strips hanging by clothes pins.
Making Fly Paper
Ladybug Themed Party
Ladybug Themed Party Ideas
Toad in a garden.
Attracting Toads to Your Garden
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 4:23:35 AM on 10.0.1.252 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.