Getting Rid of Household Pests

I need help with a bug problem. We only seem to have them in the kitchen and bathroom. I have one of the sonic boxes that work with the house wiring. We haven't had any field mice since getting them, but they don't seem to work on the bugs.

I used peppermint oil (worked on the ant problem). I used sprays which work for a few days, then they're back. I read a report on catnip, it doesn't work. I'm looking for something to drive them away, and keep them away.

Boric acid seems to be keeping them away from areas we don't have them, but it doesn't seem to drive them out. I've heard pipe tobacco drives them out. Has anyone tried this? We're on Social Security so don't have a lot of money to spend. Any help would be appreciated.

KayD

I have had good luck by putting steel wool (not the soap one) in all openings under sinks, etc. and using boric acid mixed with powdered sugar. ( one bottle of boric acid to 1 T. sugar) and sprinkling along baseboards and under cabinets. NOT IF YOU HAVE PETS OR SMALL CHILDREN!!!

Dottie

In response to KayD who is looking for bug deterrent for her kitchen - Combat makes a gel that you apply to the bugs' feeding sites. It comes in an applicator tube, the bugs eat it, take it back to the nest, and viola - no more bugs! It's about $8 for the tube, which is plenty to do your whole kitchen. Be sure to place it where you see them, but in inconspicuous places, as it comes out brown, and stays brown. I had a bad problem in my kitchen, used the Combat a year ago, and have never had one bug return. It's the best stuff I've tried - and I've tried it ALL! Hope this helps;

Sheryl in FL

It wasn't mentioned what type of bugs but I have a book here called Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean -- she is on Channel 3 in Phoenix all the time and gives cleaning hints. She has a section called "Bug Out" that I will just take the highlights from to see if they will help you.

You may be experiencing sewer roaches or whatever. In that case:

To keep cockroaches out of the cupboards, place some bay leaves on the shelves.

Kill cockroaches with a mixture of 1/3 borax, 1/3 cornmeal, 1/3 flour and a dash of powdered sugar. Sprinkle this in crevices under sinks and vanities where they love to hide. Keep away from children and animals.

You can also try this formula: Mix powdered boric acid with sugar an powdered non-dairy creamer. She uses a mixture of 50% boric acid to 25% each sugar and creamer. Keep away from children and pets. Sprinkle the mixture in all the dark, warm places that they can be found -- under sinks, behind refrigerators, in cabinets and closets, and so on. They will walk through the powder, then clean themselves (like a cat) and once they ingest the powder, they die.

A suggestion I would have personally is that she recommends Borax for so many things that next time you go to the store, you check out a box of Borax and see if it can help you with whatever problem you are. Good luck!!

AZLeadfoot

The reason the bugs are found in kitchen and bathroom is because they come up through the water pipes. Try keeping the plugs in the sinks etc. overnight, it keeps them out. A wet washer over the shower drain also works well. Also I find that if I use bleach in my mop water they detest that, so I clean everything in problem areas with diluted bleach.

Catherine Booth

I had bugs and found a leak under my sink. It was between the sink and the faucet and did not appear until the water was run for awhile. Bugs need water and food, so I had a new faucet put in and trimmed all the bushes that were touching the house and made sure that there were no crumbs left after eating. I sprayed the place with Raid in all places where my cat would/could not go. I took the cat out for the rest of the day so the odor would fumigate the place. I came home and vacuumed real good and put Borateen down(Boric acid costs too much and I think it is the same stuff). I left it down for 2 days, having it just lightly in places where the cat goes. I then vacuumed the areas that the cat can reach, but left the stuff behind furniture and in corners. I have not seen a bug since, and I am on the first floor.

like you i am also on a set budget. if the problem is roaches. try putting cucummber peels in the drawers and cuppboards, behind the fridge and along the baseboards(no kids or pets) they seem to be working for me. and i live in Louisiana where we have them ALL. you will have to get them up in a few days but they work. i also buy boric acid that seems to keep them away after the peels. i also have a recipe

8oz boric acid

4oz sugar

half chopped onion

2oz bacon grease

8oz flour

water to a thick paste

roll into balss and place on foil and put in cuppboards and where ever they seem to live. replace ever two months.

ants in house
Pest Control Tips for Around the House
Home and Garden Home Improvement Pest ControlJuly 21, 2000
Bug Sprayed on Wood Table
Cleaning a Bug Spray Stain on Wood Table
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Hands holding organic fertilizer.
Homemade Organic Fertilizer Recipes
Manure Pellets
Using Organic Fertilizers
🎉
🎄