Browsing: Broiler Creates Too Much Smoke in Kitchen

Smoke Detector Broiler Problem

It seems that every time I use my broiler, the smoke detector goes off. I read somewhere that if you put water in the bottom of the broiler pan it would cut down the smoke. Does anyone have any ideas for what to do?

Carol

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

In response to the smoke alarm problem. I too had a very sensitive alarm, overtime I used my oven or fried anything the alarm would sound off. It became very embarrassing for me as I was sure everyone in the neighborhood heard it. My solution was to replace mine with a new one. Problem solved. It has since been brought to my attention that smoke alarms should be replaced after so many years. They eventually become too sensitive. My alarm was about 12 years old.

Wanda Bishop - Bristol, TN

Best Answer

I have been in the fire safety business for over 22 years. This type of problem is the most common. Ionization type detectors sound easily to smoke from a kitchen. Replacing the detector with another ionization type detector does not fix the problem. Photoelectric type detectors are not designed for kitchen use either. They are however much more dependable and reliable. Heat detectors are the best choice for areas of a home where smoke detectors are not designed for. i.e. kitchen, furnace, laundry room, attic, garage, etc. Anyone can contact me for more information.

Best Wishes

The problem is the type of smoke detector you have by the kitchen. There are two main types of smoke alarms. Replace the one in the kitchen with a photo detector and not the ionization type that is there now and this will stop most of those annoying alarms while cooking. The ionization detector reacts to the unseen particles from the cooking process thus the constant problems.

Your problem is the ill-conceived "free" broiler pan that came with your oven. It was not designed to work. The perforated sheet metal rack is the main problem. Fats that cook out of the meat touch that hot rack and smoke and splatter. Puttiing water in pans with a sheet metal rack doesn't stop the smoke that comes from the sheet metal rack. Little, if any, of the smoke comes from the meat. Water will make the pan itself a little easier to clean but water will not stop the smoke.

Water in a properly designed pan does make a difference. You can eliminate Smoke, Splatter, Flare-ups, Bake-ons and Scrubbing (even when broiling six hamburgers!) by using the world's first properly designed broiler-roaster pan, the Drannan WaterBroiler Pan, a beautiful stainless steel broiler-roaster pan designed to stop all broiling and roasting problems. This pan has many many design features which make it work wonders. You can read about this revolutionary cooking pan by going to the Drannan Cookware Co. website, www.waterbroiler.com . This pan is also sold on eBay. Look for auctions by drannancookware. The eBay auction site give a very complete explanation of why it works wonders and why every household would be well advised to have this cooking pan. It is not sold in stores.

Smoke in Kitchen
Broiler Creates Too Much Smoke in Kitchen
Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsJune 16, 2000
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 4:23:59 AM on 10.0.2.28 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.