Removing Stains on Formica

I have been trying in vain to find some way to clean the counter tops in my kitchen. We are renting this house and the counter tops in the kitchen (Formica I think) are beige. There are all kinds of grayish stains and some that look like rust.

I have tried Comet, Ajax, Bon Ami, a little household bleach and SOS pads to no avail! They have helped with some of the lighter stains, but there are still those awful old ugly brownish/grayish stains! I'm not sure where these came from, but I sure would like to get rid of them.

If anyone has any suggestions, I certainly would appreciate hearing from you. I saw a commercial on TV for something called Oxi-Clean and was wondering if that might help (however, it may just be for laundry, I'm not sure). Anyway, Happy Holidays to everyone! :)

By Kathy

I would try either just some water softener (Calgon) in warm water which is an excellent cleaning solution -- or -- a mixture of 1 part water, 1 part hydrogen peroxide, 1 part liquid Tide, another good stain cleaner.

I have used Lysol Plus Bleach All Purpose Cleaner for many stains on my counters, and have had very good luck getting them out.Good Luck.

I have used Soft Scrub with good results. Are you sure it isn't a burn mark?

Anonymous

I always use straight Clorox>> open windows

leave on for about 10 minutes, if needed apply again. Haven't had a stain it hasn't taken off yet.

Lotsa Luck,

DLB

Try a product called Zud. You can usually pick it up at a home improvement store, or Wal-Mart. It is very reasonable, and I have found it to work where other products haven't. Good luck

Anonymous

I use the bleach trick also, but on occasion that doesn't work. Then I take some liquid dishwasher detergent, any will do, and rub that on always works.

I swear by BARKEEPERS FRIEND. That's what we used to clean the counters in a bar I worked years ago. I sill use it in my own home all the time. I wouldn't be without it. You can buy it in any grocery store. Good Luck. taz4taz4

Go to your local paper products/janitorial place and get some ringo if they have it. Don't leave it on for more than 2 minutes. But it will work.

I have used good old BAKING SODA and a damp sponge or also the liquid electric dishwasher detergent. Preferable liquid cascade brand for great results as I have all white counters

I use a product by Melauleuca called "Sol-u-mel"...it is a wonder product! Just dab it on a cotton ball and spead it on the stain...let it sit, then scrub with SOS pad. I believe you can visit the Melaleuca site on the net to see about ordering it...or perhaps one of your friends is a distributor and could order it for you!

Anonymous

If possible, I would ask the landlord to put in new counters. If refused, what about painting the counters, with the landlord's permission, of course. A good paint store or Home Depot type store should be able to make good suggestions.

Lynn

Anonymous

For the person looking for counter top cleaner, a friend gave me

something that is similar to Ajax, it is called Barkeepers Friend.

It took marker off a wood/glass coffee table. It works wonders!

Sharon

Anonymous

Try using a dampened bar of Lava hand soap on the stains on your Formica counter top.

Submitted by a reader.

By guest client (Guest Post)

Simple Green or the new Clorox Clean-up

how do I get a burn mark off of a formica counter?

Editor's Note: Try some Barkeeper's Friend. It is in the supermarket near the Comet and sink cleansers.

For food stains(organic stain) we use 1 scoop of Oxi-Clean in 1 qt. of water. This is also great to really shine up stainless steel sinks. Use your dish brush to scrub.

Magic Eraser by Mr. Kleen