Removing Stains on Formica

I have been trying in vain to find some way to clean the counter tops in my kitchen. We are renting this house and the counter tops in the kitchen (Formica I think) are beige. There are all kinds of grayish stains and some that look like rust.

I have tried Comet, Ajax, Bon Ami, a little household bleach and SOS pads to no avail! They have helped with some of the lighter stains, but there are still those awful old ugly brownish/grayish stains! I'm not sure where these came from, but I sure would like to get rid of them.

If anyone has any suggestions, I certainly would appreciate hearing from you. I saw a commercial on TV for something called Oxi-Clean and was wondering if that might help (however, it may just be for laundry, I'm not sure). Anyway, Happy Holidays to everyone! :)

By Kathy

I would try either just some water softener (Calgon) in warm water which is an excellent cleaning solution -- or -- a mixture of 1 part water, 1 part hydrogen peroxide, 1 part liquid Tide, another good stain cleaner.

I have used Lysol Plus Bleach All Purpose Cleaner for many stains on my counters, and have had very good luck getting them out.Good Luck.

I have used Soft Scrub with good results. Are you sure it isn't a burn mark?

I always use straight Clorox>> open windows

leave on for about 10 minutes, if needed apply again. Haven't had a stain it hasn't taken off yet.

Lotsa Luck,

DLB

Try a product called Zud. You can usually pick it up at a home improvement store, or Wal-Mart. It is very reasonable, and I have found it to work where other products haven't. Good luck

I use the bleach trick also, but on occasion that doesn't work. Then I take some liquid dishwasher detergent, any will do, and rub that on always works.

I swear by BARKEEPERS FRIEND. That's what we used to clean the counters in a bar I worked years ago. I sill use it in my own home all the time. I wouldn't be without it. You can buy it in any grocery store. Good Luck. taz4taz4

Go to your local paper products/janitorial place and get some ringo if they have it. Don't leave it on for more than 2 minutes. But it will work.

I have used good old BAKING SODA and a damp sponge or also the liquid electric dishwasher detergent. Preferable liquid cascade brand for great results as I have all white counters

I use a product by Melauleuca called "Sol-u-mel"...it is a wonder product! Just dab it on a cotton ball and spead it on the stain...let it sit, then scrub with SOS pad. I believe you can visit the Melaleuca site on the net to see about ordering it...or perhaps one of your friends is a distributor and could order it for you!

If possible, I would ask the landlord to put in new counters. If refused, what about painting the counters, with the landlord's permission, of course. A good paint store or Home Depot type store should be able to make good suggestions.

Lynn

For the person looking for counter top cleaner, a friend gave me

something that is similar to Ajax, it is called Barkeepers Friend.

It took marker off a wood/glass coffee table. It works wonders!

Sharon

Try using a dampened bar of Lava hand soap on the stains on your Formica counter top.

Submitted by a reader.

Simple Green or the new Clorox Clean-up

how do I get a burn mark off of a formica counter?

Editor's Note: Try some Barkeeper's Friend. It is in the supermarket near the Comet and sink cleansers.

For food stains(organic stain) we use 1 scoop of Oxi-Clean in 1 qt. of water. This is also great to really shine up stainless steel sinks. Use your dish brush to scrub.

Magic Eraser by Mr. Kleen

Cleaning
Cleaning Formica
Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenFebruary 5, 2001
hot coffee pot placed on counter by waitress
Removing Heat Stains and Burn Marks on Formica
painted formica countertops
Painting a Formica Countertop
Bottle of Clorox bleach.
Repairing Bleach Stains on Formica
🎉
🎄