Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Smelly Mouth Guard

I have to wear a night guard on my upper teeth every night to prevent damage to my teeth because I grind my teeth during the night. Has anyone had any experience with one of these things? Mine has gotten stained and smells terrible.

I don't care about the staining, but don't like the smell. No amount of brushing with toothpaste or a baking soda-water paste has helped. My dentist hasn't been able to tell me what to do. I don't want to put out the money for a new one and insurance wouldn't pick up the cost anyway.

Liz

By Christle02/22/2011

I have used the football mouth guards for years. I buy about 6 of them at a time and have been using the denture cleaners with them. I have been having problems with bacterial infections in my sinuses and am thinking there might be a problem with the mouth guards (of course I have been using them way too long without replacing). I also want to add that maybe using vinegar might leave some residual vinegar in the mouthpiece and vinegar is extremely caustic to tooth enamal. I am going to buy the $20 ion ozone toy, denture, phone and sponge cleaner (supposed to work in 5 minutes). With what I pay for denture cleaners, I should get my money back before too long. I hope this works. I have not found any evidence but the ozone is supposed to be the greatest cleaner there is. I will let you know

By mjp05/12/2010

I store my night guard in distilled white vinegar. The denture tabs did nothing, and it was tedious to brush it with baking soda. The vinegar kills many types of bacteria, plus it dissolves any calcium deposits that trap odor and bacteria. It stays clean and clear, and the lining is not affected as it may be with chlorine bleach. Eureka.

By Nicolemay05/17/2009

Here's what I did. Dentakit (http://www.dentakit.com) sells a bunch of different retainer cleaning products. They work on retainers but also on mouthguards. I bought the Sonicbrite system and it did a great job on my son's mouthguard. They also have cleaning wipes, so your kid can take them along and wipe off the mouthguard when the game or practice is over. It has been exactly the combination of things I'd needed. The company ships really quickly and they have good products. Oh yeah, there is also a cleaning spray that's pretty convenient, too.

By Richard (Guest Post)02/02/2009

Don't order the FRESH ONE Antibacterial Mouthguard Cleaning System from their website. I live in the US and ordered 2 a year ago and paid via paypal. Never received them and emailed SEVERAL times and never a response. Finally when I threatened them that would leave negative reviews, someone stating they were the owner emailed me back apologized and said would get it right out. Still never got it.
BEWARE ordering from them. I lost my money and never got the product.

""

By Chris (Guest Post)01/08/2009

Brain Pad Protective Solution in an effort to take bacteria out of the equation for mouth guards, Dentures, Braces and retainers released a case that uses a combination of Ozone and Ultra Violet light to oxidize bacteria and render it harmless.

Ozone is a form of oxygen the naturally happens in the atmosphere around us. Ozone is a very powerful oxidizing agent that has been widely used to purify drinking water for 50 years. Ozone is a natural biocide that kills bacteria from a cellular level by infiltrating the walls of the cell and changing the structure.

With the combination of Ozone and Ultra Violet light The Natures Zone ozone case are a perfect disinfectant and the only one currently on the world market scientifically tested and proven effective.

Mouth guards are always not take care of and after use while damp placed in a case, locker or gym bag and mold and bacteria grows very well in this environment MRSA is anaerobic and lives in this environment.

Life threatening infections/inflammatory diseases can be transmitted by the large number of molds, bacteria and yeasts found living in mouth guards, according to a case study done by Thomas Glass, DDS, PhD, published by the Academy of General Dentistry, in an issue of General Dentistry.
Take the Natures Zone challenge

The first thing you will notice is the mouth guard smells clean. Bacteria are what have the odor and ozone and UV will oxidize bacteria even in the smallest areas only scene by a microscope.

Take the Natures Zone challenge and you will not only see the case working and in three minutes with only ozone and UV and no chemicals the mouth guard will be clean and smell clean.

By steve (Guest Post)12/23/2008

I've tried the peroxide but it just doesn't seem to do the job. It does okay. So, I tried the alcohol 91% and mixed it with water 1:1 like the post above. It got rid of all of it except the plague that is much harder to get off from. I soaked it for about 30-45 minutes. I'm certainly happy with the results. So, from now on, I'm going to use the alcohol. The mouth guard that I have is sturdy made from the dentist and not a football one, just to let you know. Stay clean!

By Pat [3]10/16/2008

This is for the post from needsaguard-they were asking if anyone has used an OTC mouth guard. That's all I have used as we have lost our dental coverage. The one I have had you "size" it for yourself by immersing it in boiling water, letting it cool slightly, and the placing it in your mouth while biting together so that you get the proper indentations for your mouth set into it. If you make a mistake, you just repeat the process all over again.

It fits nice and snug and only requires a brushing and rinsing after each use and letting it air dry.

By Dorina (Guest Post)10/16/2008

I wore a retainer then a night guard during my years of braces. As an adult, I wore a night guard because of grinding.

Both my orthodontist and my dentist told me to use the effervescent denture cleaner daily. I had my retainer for years and my night guard as well.

If I was out of the cleaner I would use listerine.

Remember to brush your teeth and use listerine before you put on your night guard.

By Rita (Guest Post)09/27/2008

I soak mine in denture cleaner all the time, so it does not smell, but it does not look great from years of wear.

To TRY to get rid of the stains I have put it in the dishwasher, soaked it in Oxy-Clean (that works for most everything else), used peroxide and baking soda as a paste in the sun. No luck, still ugly

Using the denture cleaner keeps it fresh though. Sometimes I am good and soak it everyday. Most times not. Because it is ugly, I store it in a ceramic covered dish - it was a cheesy jewelry box someone gave me, but is perfect to hide the mouth guard on my bathroom counter, and to also soak it in denture cleaner.

By george (Guest Post)09/17/2008

I have a same problem. My mouth smell all time and people don't like me cause when I talk they put their hand by they noses cause the odors are so much.

By (Guest Post)09/07/2008

Does your morning breath smell worse when wearing the guard?

By needsaguard (Guest Post)09/07/2008

Have any of you used an OTC night guard? If so, how would you rate it? I'm sick of the expensive ones I have had fitted by dentists

By Sonia (Guest Post)08/29/2008

Hi Liz, I totally understand your frustration. I also use a night guard for my upper teeth due to my TMJ condition and a retainer for my bottom teeth every night. I have been using them for several years. What I do is I brush them both with tooth paste then I soak them in hot water with a Retainer Brite Cleaning Tablet in a Sonic Cleanser all day.

Before I wear them again I rinse them in hot water and soak with Act Mouth wash for a couple of minutes (dont use mouth wash that contains alcohol). Sometimes I soak them in hot water in the Sonic Cleanser and a drop or two of clorox... but not all the time, you can do this maybe once a month or every 2 months... check the following website if you're interested in buying the Cleaning Tablet and the Sonic Cleaner, its not expensive, 1 year supply is only $39.95 and you get the Sonic Cleaner free. Here is the website. http://www.smileshop.com/catsheets/retainer_brite.asp
One last thing, every time you go to your dentist for your cleaning appointment bring the night guard with you and ask them to clean it for you. They should put the night guard in a solution that removes tartar and stains. I personally do this and they come out nice and clean. Hope this is helpful. It has worked for me.

Sonia,

By (Guest Post)08/07/2008

I have the same problem with my night guard, and I feel like my breath is worse in the morning when I am wearing it. I asked my dentist about this, and he told me to use denture cleaner.

By smith (Guest Post)05/23/2008

I soaked my nightguard in dilute bleach - at my dentist's recommendation - but now I can't get the bleach taste to go away, despite many attempts to rinse off the guard or soak it in water. Any suggestions for how to get rid of the bleachy taste so I can start wearing my nightguard again?

I'll definitely be trying a different cleaning method next time!

By peter (Guest Post)05/15/2008

DO NOT use denture cleaners. It might just be the night guard I use, but denture cleaners (the effervescent ones) can destroy the night guard!

By Felicia Rose (Guest Post)03/16/2008

Hey Stinky,
I am no sure what your guard is made of, but I used to have that problem years ago with my retainer. Someone told me that they soaked their dentures in Vinegar (regular white Vinegar) overnight every couple of weeks for the same reason and so I tried it. Unbelievable! I couldn't believe how well it worked. Try it. I would love to know how it worked for you. Obviously in your case you would do it during the day when you don't need to wear it, the point is it should be in there for at least 8 hours. Best, Felicia

By Mindy (Guest Post)02/23/2008

Soak in listerine during the day, and disinfect once a week by boiling in an uncovered pot for 5 min.

By Sven Hansen (Guest Post)08/04/2007

I was in Philly recently at a Hockey Tournament and bought two Fresh One Antibacterial Mouthguard Cleaner Carrying Cases.
Awesome product!
I use it to clean my night guard and my son uses his to clean his mouthguard.
We travel a lot and it is portable and convenient.
I would highly recommend the purchase if you come across one!
Good Luck!
Sven

By Sean (Guest Post)06/18/2007

I've had the same problem - the bacteria coming from your mouth is the issue. Soak it in hydrogen peroxide (get it at the supermarket) - the same stuff women used to beach their hair with - it will kill the bacteria and the staining...just make sure you rinse it sufficiently afterward.

By Steve (Guest Post)06/06/2007

Try the FRESH ONE Antibacterial Mouthguard Cleaning System - check out the web site @ www,freshone.ca
An excellent, convenient and portable idea. Works like magic - spread the word ...............
A dual compartment Cleaner Carrying Case - gotta see it and use it!

By Charisse (Guest Post)09/27/2006

This really helped me cuz I was't sure how to store mine or if I should brush it or what.
Thanks!

By Jake (Guest Post)09/27/2006

I usually use mouthwash and accidentally bought listerine. Is listerine too strong to use to let the mouthguard soak in?

By olga (Guest Post)06/22/2006

You need to brush it with toothpaste every day. To steralize it, use 1:1 solution of peroxide and water.
Olga

By Ted (Guest Post)07/13/2005

I brush it with toothpaste in the morning, then soak it during the day in a 50% water/50% blue Listerine. It never smells anymore. I replace this solution weekly.

The 40% alcohol in Listerine also does a pretty good job of killing bacteria while it soaks.

By Me (Guest Post)05/25/2005

Are all nightguards denture safe?

By Courtney (Guest Post)07/29/2004

Hi,

My dentist told me Denture Stain Away plus was the best thing to use to clean it, relatively inexpensive too.

Good Luck!
Courtney

01/02/2001

If it doesn't have to be worn during the day, try soaking it in
water with a denture tablet. :-)

Barbara

By thekinneys12/28/2000

I wear a night guard too! I love it & can't sleep without it! I soak mine in hot water & 1 Efferdent with Listerine tablet all day on Sunday after I take it out Sunday morning. The rest of the week, (Mon.-Sat.)when I take it out in the morning, I let it soak in an equal solution of water & Listerine all day. (I use the blue Listerine!) It stains it blue, but when you rinse it in hot water before putting it in your mouth, the blue fades away! My mouth tastes great the next morning & I've never had any odor to my nightguard!!! Hope this works for you!!!

By kamother12/20/2000

I've read a lot of tips about vinegar lately. Maybe soaking the guard in a bowl of vinegar would eliminate the smell.

By ahsusanna12/20/2000

Try soaking your guard in hydrogen peroxide, as the smell comes from bacteria, and the peroxide should oxidize(kill) it. You can follow up with another soaking in a denture cleaning tab or mouthwash to freshen it.

By n8ur9irl12/20/2000

diluted bleach will help also but not if it has a soft liner

By lapdogkennel12/19/2000

Try brushing with toothpaste then letting it soak in mouthwash during the day.

By lelbel12/19/2000

Have you tried a denture cleaner? They clean and deordorize dentures. Perhaps they would do a good job on your mouthguard. If they don't work for your mouthguard, you can always use them to clean your toliet bowl.