Reused and Recycled Christmas Wrappings

Ness - Lakeview, NY

In addition to all those Christmas wrapping ideas I collected and sent previously, here's some more:

• Use your child's artwork, such as a crayon drawing, to wrap small gifts.

• Small gifts like gift cards, small toys, jewelry items, etc. fit inside toilet paper rolls nicely, and then you just wrap overtop of that, twist the ends of the wrapping paper, and you have a cute little "Christmas cracker."

• The paper that comes as "stuffing" inside of new purses and bags makes good wrapping paper; you just have to decorate it.

• A friend of mine had her kids color scenes on plain paper specific to the receiver of the gift to make personalized gift wrapping.

• Small boxes can be spraypainted and used as gift boxes. Add a natural touch like a pinecone glued on the top instead of a bow.

• You can make "ribbon curls" from thin strips of wrapping paper rather than using ribbon. Cut the strips about 1/3 to 1/2 inch wide and gently curl them with a scissors. Makes a pretty topping for a package.

• Don't let anyone in your family toss out gift wrap or gift bags or tissue paper. Save it and try to reuse it!

Hey, so far this holiday I have most of my gifts wrapped and have not bought any new wrapping paper (though I have used old leftover stuff, and most of the ideas presented here and in the Daily Thrifty Tips).

I have been trying to get some of my non-recycling family and friends to do this kind of stuff, too. It's fun 'cuz when I show them what I made, like a gift bag or box, from some recycled item, they usually have good ideas to add to the whole concept!

By Ness

Anonymous

These all sound like good ideas but I think I'll pass on giving gifts in toilet paper rolls.