How Should I Store My Clothes?

I am interested in finding out how I can store my children's outgrown clothes until I hand them down to my future nieces and nephews. I have heard from others who have stored them in Rubbermaid type boxes that the colors of the clothes all bleed into each other. Any suggestions to keep clothes looking nice without spending a lot of money?

Best Answer

The best way to store clothes for a long time is the same way to store quilts. Wrap each piece of clothing in white tissue paper. This prevents the fabric from touching anything else. Please note that all stored fabrics should be folded as little as possible (don't over fold, not fold as small as you can get it). Also all stored fabrics should be taken out, checked for condition (ie: mildew) and washed once a year. I hope this helps you.

Mrs Kathy Cohen

Best Answer

Select a large plastic bag to store the clothes. A clear trash bag, zip top bag, or space saving bag would be appropriate. Transfer the stack of clothes into the plastic bag and remove excess air while sealing the bag.

Use a permanent marker to label the outside of the bag with the size of clothes, gender and appropriate season. An example would be "Size 3T, Girl, Summer."

Stack the bags side by side in a large plastic storage box. These should be placed in order from the smallest size of clothing to largest, with the smallest size against one end of the container. As you add more bags, they should go in order by size.

Try sorting colors into plastic bags (the ones you get from the grocery store) then place them in the RM containers. This works for me.

Have you thought of trying the new plastic bags, that have been advertised on TV that you can attach your vacuumn to to suck out the air and flattens the bag out? Target was selling a bag for around $5.00 or $6.00 at Christmas time; Home Place was selling them for more when I recently checked. They certainly take up less storage space. Just a thought! They do work.

Ms. Syd Barr

Dunkirk, MD

Storing Clothing
Storing Clothing
Organizing ClothingDecember 28, 2000
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Grapfruit wedge with grapefruits in the background.
Storing Grapefruit
Whole limes and limes cut in half.
Storing Limes
Storing Out of Season Clothing, Stack of folded sweaters in different colors
Storing Out of Season Clothing