Milk Jugs for Gardening and Around the Yard

It will be garden time soon. So, these are mostly garden ideas.

As you collect seeds, put them into jugs that you have cut with a hole in the side, or have cut the top off. You can carry the seeds to the garden in these when planting time comes. You could also sort your seeds by planting times, i.e., plant right after the last frost, plant in cold frame, start indoors, don't plant until late spring, keep for fall planting, etc.

When you plant your first crop out, you can use jugs to make frost covers.

Make a tote for your clothespins. (Buy any replacement clothes line and pins now, so you are ready the first warm day.) I made mine by cutting a hole in one side, and slicing through the handle. It slips over the line easily.

The tops make good funnels for larger stuff, or larger amounts. I keep one for filling the bird feeders.

Use jugs to store and carry household waste water to the garden. My garden loves soapy dish water, and so does my budget. It's also free exercise.

Set jugs full of water among the tender early plants. They will absorb solar heat by day, and release it by night.

Poke a small hole in a jug and use it as a drip waterer. Set one drip jug where the drops fall in an open basin of water to attract birds.

If you have a large dog, you probably need a big scoop, and you can make one from a milk jug. Cut on a slope, from the bottom of the handle to the opposite side at the base of the jug. Works to carry grain to larger animals as well.

Cut tops off (funnels, remember?) and use the bottom to make medium size planter pots. You will need to poke a couple of drainage holes so plants don't get water-logged.

By Rose B

Thanks for those reminders I'd forgotten! We have a few blocks of folks who ALWAYS save their milk jugs for placing over the larger bulbed stringed lights at Christmas time for "softening the glow", I understand.

I like the idea of perhaps making a wall of water filled milk jugs surrounding a new plant in the winter to offer a weighted buffer zone of warmth for both the ground and as the water melts through freezes, to drip evenly and support it's growth, even plants

that have been covered by an empty inverted jug!

Wow, a BIOSPHERE, almost. What a good

idea. The sun heats the outer jugs, while they both

protect and water the inner jug that covers!

Actually, the three liter cola bottles of water inverted around a milk jug covered plant should also work?

Then, when temps really fall, I could use the framework they form to hold a med. plastic garbage sack around the whole set up? Might consider this for the Brussel Sprout plants I hope will continue to grow that I was sold by an unscrupulous garden center IN THE TEXAS SUMMER HEAT. I placed them in the shade and actually have them about a foot high

so far with great leaves, looking forward to cooler temps and garden space.

Milk Jug On White Background
Uses for Milk Jugs
Better Living Green Living ReusingJanuary 11, 2001
Plastic Milk Jug
Crafts Using Milk Jugs
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
Milk Jug Ring Earrings
Making Milk Jug Ring Earrings
A single plastic 1/2 gallon milk jug against a black background.
Using Milk Jugs in the Garden
🎉
🎄