Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Crayon Stains on Clothing

I washed clothes not realizing there were crayons in there. I dried the clothes and and am needing to know what to do to get the crayon out of clothes. Please help me?

By Angela from Clinton, MA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Gracie03/20/2011

The hands down winner for me. I followed the advise of the editor was to start simple and work up from there. I used 1 box of baking soda and followed the regular washing instructions, voila, almost everything was gone from 4 dress shirts and 2 high-end restaurant aprons. (My son works at a high-end restaurant and picked up a brown crayon and put it in his apron. He forgot all about it and all his uniforms were 'ruined', at least till today.)

Of course, that's after I gave up following my first method (it was grueling and I couldn't get it to work). At first I started with one of the aprons and a blunt knife, trying to scrape off the excess crayon and running boiling water from the back of the fabric through the apron and blot onto a clean white towel to 'blot' off the crayon residue. This was grueling because the apron was water-resistant and I couldn't get the boiling water through it easily. Hardly anything was coming off and I scraped and boiled water for 2 hours, barely making a dent in the apron. My hands and back were sore.

I gave up and searched the internet and found all your great ideas. Starting simple was the miracle for me - although I was worried....the washing instructions called for a gentle cycle and cold water. I used almost 1 full box of baking soda, upped the temperature to 'warm wash and warm rinse', used my gentle detergent and set my HE washer on gentle.

After the first round, I had a couple spots of crayon left on an apron and a bunch on a shirt sleeve (it had been turned inside out on itself, so when I opened it there was still crayon all over inside it), so put the whole load thru another gentle cycle with warm wash/warm rinse and detergent. (I didn't have any more baking soda). After the 2nd time I only had 1 small spot on the apron that I could rub off with my fingernail. Too easy!

Thanks for the great tip!

Here are questions related to Crayon Stains on Clothing.

Question: Removing Crayon from Clothing

How do I get orange crayon out of my husband's khaki shorts?

By Shaquan S.

Most Recent Answer

By Grandma J06/01/2011

There is a cleaner that dry cleaners use, you can find it in hardware stores. It's a chemical that needs a lot of fresh air around, and is flammable.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Crayon off Clothing?

I did a wash with crayon in my pocket I rewashed in hot and it came out of everything but two white shirts.

Archive: Crayon Stains on Clothing

My son had a blue crayon in his pocket. I washed it and dried it. Now I have blue clothes and a the inside of the drier is blue? How do I get it out?

P.L. from Muscotah, KS

RE: Crayon Stains on Clothing

GooGone works wonders! (05/17/2006)

By Julie.

RE: Crayon Stains on Clothing

We got the orange crayon out of the whole load of laundry I used about 2 tbsp of Orange hand cleaner (degreaser) also added just a little Shout and laundry detergent (Purex with bleach alt. Mountain Spring) Washed the load in hot water and was amazed all of the crayon was gone!! Thanks for the tips and I hope this helps others with the same problem. So when life hands you lemons just make lemonade smile. (07/17/2006)

By Patty from NC

RE: Crayon Stains on Clothing

I was freaking out cause crayon got mixed in with all my favourite clothes, but i sprayed generous amount of shout on the spots and scrubed a little bit and it all came out! I'm still working on the white shirts but surprisingly hairspray is a miracle worker too it takes out VERY set grease stains as well as crayon off my white bra. (10/07/2006)

By Tara

RE: Crayon Stains on Clothing

When this happened to me, I freaked out! I hate for my three year old to get food on her clothes, let alone have crayons in her pocket! When I opened the dryer ALL of her clothes were red! Red crayon was everywhere! I went to Food Lion and bought 3 things. I bought Zout, Clorox OxyClean and Wisk with colorsafe bleach. I sprayed the clothes with Zout and then poured some of the Clorox Oxyclean and Wisk in the laundry. When we took the clothes out they were spotless! Even stains that had been there before the crayon were gone! Try it! It worked for me! (11/12/2006)

By Kim in Carolina

RE: Crayon Stains on Clothing

I am so happy to report that MY red crayon disaster is resolved. My dryer and a load of clothes had red splotches everywhere. I used a remedy similar to Kim's of Carolina and I am amazed at the results. I actually had my clothes in the garbage they were so bad. I bought Zout, OxyClean Stain Fighter and Wisk dual action. I kind of did an experiment because it would be too time-consuming to spray every item with Zout, I used it with only the most important items, but everything got equally clean. I used hot water and let the clothes soak for a while with the washer door open and used the heavy duty cycle to wash. The dryer came clean very well with regular Colgate toothpaste. I think the hot water and Oxy Clean were the most important things that got the clothes clean. Hopefully this will help someone else. I am very thankful!!! (11/19/2006)

By Molly of Florida

RE: Crayon Stains on Clothing

As of 10 minutes ago... I totally concur on the soaking in oxyclean and hot water with a shot of Zout on any remaining tough spots then rewashing the "Zouted" items as normal. I just saved a whole load of light colored jeans from a green crayon disaster. This was the easiest and most efficient method-- THANKS! (11/25/2006)

By Gayle

Archive: Crayon Stains on Clothing

I recently washed and dried a load of clothes which includes: light jeans, a white tank top, a dark American eagle hoodie, some cotton dark t-shirts, and some underwear with a dark blue crayon.

Archive: Crayon Stains on Clothing

Crayon Stains on Clothing. How do I remove crayon from clothing?

Archive: Crayon Stains on Clothing

My boyfriend works at UPS and he uses a black crayon to mark boxes. He called me at work to ask me how to remove melted, dried crayon from his work clothes and the dryer. He used a magic eraser on the dryer and it worked completely.

Archive: Crayon Stains on Clothing

My 4 year old hid some crayons in her only good winter coat and never took them out. It was washed and dried before we knew it and it is horrible. I believe it is a cotton coat, and it's white with dark fur around the hood. I am so upset cause it's starting to get cold outside and she needs to have a winter coat for school. Please help me figure this out.

By Annie from Grover Hill, OH

RE: Crayon Stains on Clothing

I would call a professional cleaner and see if they have the ability to remove crayon from cotton coat first, and then buy your child a good used coat in case she needs one before her best coat comes back from the cleaners. My own assumption is the dryer heat has caused the crayon to be absorbed into the material and it may never come out. I'd also "google" for suggestions to remove ground in crayon. (10/27/2009)

By Lorelei

RE: Crayon Stains on Clothing

My 4 year old does this all the time. I don't know how it will work with it being white, but I have done this each time and it always takes it out.

Wash the item in hot water adding your liquid clothes detergent, white vinegar (maybe 1/2 cup), and some liquid dish detergent (maybe 3-4 Tbsp. full) as the water begins to fill the machine. Don't wait until it is already full. Don't turn the cycle on right away, let the clothes sit for 5-10 minutes soaking, then let it run through the cycle. It should come right on out. Hope this helps. (10/29/2009)

By minnabird

RE: Crayon Stains on Clothing

Try the hot water to get the wax out. If the color remains, get some "Rit" clothes dye that works in your washer and use a dark color to dye the coat. (10/29/2009)

By catastrofy

Archive: Crayon Stains on Clothing

How do you get crayon stains off clothes?

By Debra

RE: Crayon Stains on Clothing

Scrape off as much as possible, first. Place a paper towel or white cloth on either side of the material around the stain. Iron it on low to medium setting. The wax should lift off on the towel. Rub a mixture of liquid detergent and water on any remaining stain, rinse, then wash as usual. Mountain Maids http://www.facebook.com/pages/mountain-maids-cleaning-service/337874387234 (09/10/2010)

By mprince

Archive: Crayon Stains on Clothing

My son put a red crayon into his pants pocket, which I then put in the laundry. I did not realize this until after drying the entire load. How do I get red crayon out of the clothing?

By Sharai from Orlando, FL