Browsing: Getting Rid of Old Computers

Uses for old computers and equipment?

Hello Frugal Friends, I've got a question for you. I bought a new computer last year, and now I want to know what to do with my old one. It's become a eye sore in my computer room. How do I go about disposing it properly? Thanks for all the help.

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Hi, I googled Richlands, VA computer recycling and I found some great links.

The first is for a place that you can donate your old computer.

http://www.computerswithcauses.org/computer-donation-virginia.htm

If, for some reason, that doesn't work out, here is Virginia's DEQ page on recycling computers and other electronics.

http://www.deq.virginia.gov/ecycling/

I'm so glad that you are trying to find a way to responsibly dispose of it. I'm located near several Intel campuses and they do a computer recycling event every year for the community. You have reminded me to look up when it is this year. Good luck!

There are countless people out there that need to be "Computer Literate" to find a job. They also need a computer to search the Net for job listings. I know because this happened to my daughter. Here are 2 suggestions where you can HELP someone, & not add your old computer to a landfill.

1) Post an add on Craig's list in the "Free" section listing your computer.

2) Call up you local DSHS (the welfare people) and ask to speak to a "Councilor"

3) Call your local "Unemployment" office & have someone post your computer on the bulletin board, there.

4) Call several churches & ask them if they know someone who really needs a computer.

5) Most Thrift Stores do not take use computers, but if it still works, call the local "charity" Thrift Shops (like the Cancer society or Children's hospital) They are more likely to take used computers. (If they work!) Plus, you get a tax write-off when donating to these guys.

6) Call your local "Food Bank" & ask them if they or someone they know needs a computer for job hunting.

7) Call your local library & ask them if they have a "regular" who comes in to use their computers that could use one.

8) In my state (WA), before the Republicans came into office (& they lost their funding) They used to teach a 2 week computer course, that taught computer basics, free for women trying to get off of welfare. If someone donated their used computers to someone from this class, They could have their own computer, at home, instead of using one at the library.

* There needs to be an organization where we can give our old computers to the poor (who need them to find jobs). This could also be a Tax write-off... & could help countless people who don't need the "Newest" computer, they just need something simple, so they can look for a job & be able to say on their job applications that they know how to use a computer.

* Call you local DSHS office & ask them if there's a place like this near you.

*REMEMBER: Your "old, outdated" computer, would be "New" to someone else & could change somebody's life!

---> Be sure to CAREFULLY ERASE EVERYTHING FROM YOUR HARDRIVE before giving your computer to someone else.... Even family!

BE WARNED - In the uk we had a charity that recycled old computers - they were sent to the third world - mainly Nigeria - where computer experts got into the hard drives of the computers and stole all the previous owners details and it was a multi million pound financial scam!

Be careful!

Kindest regards - Borasic Lint

We always remove our hard drives from old computers before getting rid of them just a safety precaution and for peace of mind.

This just came out in the Costco magazine. Go to costco.com, click on electronics, and then on trade-in and recycle. If it has a cash value, they will buy it. If not, they will still send you a prepaid shipping label and you can send it to them. They will recycle everything that isn't currently usable, so it won't go to waste.

Check with your local library or school. They sometimes take donations for afterschool projects. You may even try the YMCA or Local Boys and Girls Club. Hope this helps. Some computer repair stores may even buy it for parts.

If the hard drive is safely cleaned off, I would Freecycle it.

The Freecycle in our area is all the time needing computers, they get grabbed up quick. You can look on Freecycle.com to find the link in your area to join. You may have other things also you would like to freecycle. It's a great way to clean out....

Hi,

I live in Canada in a small town and we take any computers, televisions and electronics to our local dump for free. It is recycled from there.

Freecycle.org - people want those computer parts or all of it desperately! Theyll come and get them whenever you want!

There's a new book out called "Show me How" (www.showmenow.com) which shows you how to make a fishbowl out of an old computer! What's great too is it gives you step-by-step illustration.

Old Desktop Computer
Getting Rid of Old Computers
Organized Dumbells
Organizing Fitness Equipment
Woman Recycling Her Old Cell Phone
Recycling Your Old Cell Phones And Computers
computer
Saving Money on Computers
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 20, 2016 at 5:27:06 AM on 10.0.2.115 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.