Uses for Cardboard Boxes

Recycling your cardboard boxes is a great practice, but don't forget that many of them can be reused in your own home. This is a guide about uses for cardboard boxes.

Uses For Cardboard Boxes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have made a doll's house out of small cardboard boxes (not shoe boxes, but a little bit bigger). I have done each room separately so I have 4 separate boxes. Would anyone know what would be a good covering for this when joined together to make it more sturdy? I want to use something other than wood. Many thanks.
Helen

By h.arnott from U.K

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would use foam core board. Then you can use contact paper to decorate the outside if you so choose.

Best Answer

Many dollar stores have inexpensive peel and stick tiles. How about those in different patterns for roof and sides, doors and window frames could be yet another pattern.

Best Answer

Corrugated cardboard can be really strong depending on what it is made to hold. Go to your home appliance store (washers, stoves) or stores that carry heavy goods and see if you can get discarded cardboard. Hold the individual boxes together with a strong glue and then wrap with the strong cardboard. A hardware store could tell you the right kind of glue or strapping to hod the dollhouse together. Good luck. Send ThriftyFun a picture when it is finished if you can.

Read More Answers...

I have completed several jigsaw puzzles and have glued them together to frame them. What do I do with the boxes? I really don't want to discard them.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Good idea. Also, storage of things you don't use often. Small Christmas balls come to mind. If the top is sturdy, cover it with contact paper and use it as an "inbox" for mail, bills, etc. Use smaller ones to corral that "funk drawer" we all have. Glue some of the smaller ones together for a shadow box of light things, or cover the outside ones with fabric or contact paper, glue them together and put photos inside. I hope those helped.

Read More Answers...

This year I want to try raised beds in my garden, but I don't want to spend any money on purchasing the wood necessary to make them, plus all the work involved. So I came up with this idea - why not use cardboard boxes from the grocery stores? I plan on getting approximately 12 inch deep ones with sturdier sides. I think that they should hold up for one entire summer. I will let you know how I fare with them. If this works, I'll be so happy!

By annelaundrie from Green Bay, WI

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We recently bought some furniture at Ikea and used the broken down boxes to protect our floor while we assembled the furniture. When we were done our daughter decided to make her baby brother a play mat to drive his cars on.

Cardboard Vehicle Play Mat

She used markers to draw roads and buildings. Her brother loved it! She may go back and color everything in, but he really wanted her out of his way so that he could play on it. :) We can recycle it after awhile but for now it slides easily under our couch to store it.

Cardboard Vehicle Play Mat

Cardboard Vehicle Play Mat

Cardboard Vehicle Play Mat
      CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For sending presents by mail instead of using brown paper to cover the box, try recycling a cardboard box that can be gotten from a grocery store or any other store (before they crush them, of course). Instead of blacking out all the writing on the box as the post office suggests, turn the box inside out.

Cut the tape or pull open the glued flaps as if you are going to flatten the box. (If you are lucky you can get the boxes already cut open from the store because some of them flatten the boxes before they crush them.) Carefully cut the seam of the box with a knife so it is able to be opened up flat. Turn the box over to the non-printed side (inside out).

Tape the seam back together with packaging tape inside and outside if you want it to be more stable although taping outside will suffice. Tape the flaps on the bottom closed again. You can then put whatever you are sending in the "new" box and seal it up with the packaging tape. This not only saves on the brown paper and recycles the boxes but also helps the post office because the brown paper often rips off or rips so that it gets stuck in the machinery used to process the packages. The only drawback is that you can only do this once unless you are careful when opening the box and you use easily removable labels on them.

I have done this countless times with no problems at all. Every time the box arrived intact. Happy shipping.

I work at a restaurant that throws away all of their cardboard boxes. For a month or so I have been recycling the boxes for them because it annoys me that they throw them away. Does anyone have any cool uses for boxes? Craft projects that require a lot of boxes? Or somewhere that I can donate boxes. Thanks!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use cardboard in my garden. Instead of laying down 5 or 6 sheets of newspaper or instead of purchasing that expensive fabric in the garden department that you lay under your mulch, I cut up the cardboard boxes and then put my mulch on top of them. It sure keeps the weeds away from my rose bushes and other plants and it will eventually deteriorate into the garden.

Read More Answers...

This year, I put lots of gifts in the cardboard decorated boxes you can buy at the dollar store. I noticed they were perfect for art projects, to protect furniture, and to store after the children are through with them.

Cardboard box under painted suncatcher project.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Don't recycle those inner cardboard boxes used to separate tampons in the multipack. Reuse them for organization!

Better Living Green Living ReusingMarch 9, 2013
      Making Cardboard Box Playhouses
      Making Cardboard Box Playhouses
      Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
      Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
      Reusing Cardboard, Stack of Corrugated Cardboard
      Reusing Cardboard
      Robot Costume made with cardboard boxes
      Costume Ideas Using a Cardboard Box
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:09:39 PM on 10.0.0.37 in 478 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.