Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Animal Urine

Use vinegar and water to clean animal urine accidents from carpet. It will smell of vinegar only temporarily, but neutralize the pH level and discourage animals from having an accident there again.

Heather

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Penny Melko [1]08/25/2011

Get a good Rug Doctor for carpets to lift dog or cat urine out. Urinating on clothing, rugs, blankets: rinse the urine off, then wash on hot cycle and use a little fabuloso or other. Smell the piece or pieces after washing and drying. If you can still smell the urine, wash it again till gone.

Cat spraying. This means you have too many cats & they're marking. It is hard to stop this. Cover everything with plastic. Remember some cats are attracted to urinating on plastic bags and other types.

Males hiking leg in house. Catch them in the act and get them outside. Cover where he's urinating with plastic to protect fabrics.

By Stephanie [110]08/23/2011

Use caution and make sure you try a test area first. We ruined light gray carpet by using too much vinegar to water - ended up with a big pink spot in the middle of the floor. Other areas we'd done with less vinegar in the water were fine.

By Brigid (Guest Post)12/13/2007

My daughters cat urinated on her marble fireplace slab. She poured hydrogen peroxide on the damaged areas.Let liguid seep into marble until areas are like it was never damaged. It worked for us, Give it a try. Good Luck.

By Babette [33]06/19/2007

X-O ODOR NEUTRALIZER
CALIFORNIA VETERINARY SUPPLY
www.calvetsupply.com
1800-366-3047

I have cats but I'm down to only 2, I found X-0 about 25 years ago it works, it is a bit pricey but it will last a long time, the directions on the bottle says to mix it 50/50 with water but I put 1 oz per cup of water and This works just fine.
I had a friend borrowed my spray bottle because someone threw a dead cat in the church dumpster in the summer, she sprayed the dumpster, it totally eliminated the odor, the dumpster wasn't picked up for 4 days after she did not have to spray again. Both my mail and female have a tendency to spray, if I catch them at it I can spray immediately
(Because I know where they sprayed) there is no odor.
Since Im not always sure where they sprayed I mist everything from my knees down every now and then and I have no smell, I even spray outside.

By gator08/22/2006

The thicker your cushions are, the longer it will take them to dry. Are you able to let them sit outdoors? What I do is set them out on a chaise lounge and let them dry by solar power; keep an eye on it turning the cushion every 20-30 min; if i'm concerned the sun will bleach out its color, then I place a light cloth atop the cushion/pillow to shield it. The sun will also sanitize it.

If you can't dry them outdoors, use a clothes dryer on it's lowest setting for longer than you'd normally dry things; only time and experience will teach you how long to keep them in there. Start w/ 10 min. then check on it in intervals until its dry.

Years ago, my ferrel cat peed on the sofa (he must have thought he was hiding it, ha ha). Onto the sofa mattress was poured a whole bottle of pet odor erasure b/c it was a big 'n deep deposit. Without solar power it took weeks for it to dry... in the mean time we sat on other things. THEN, a plastic mattress-like cover was placed over the couch then a washable cover was placed atop this so any future 'spills' would create less damage :o)

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.