Frugal Uses for Packaging Materials: Bubble Wrap and Foam Peanuts

I am looking for frugal uses for bubble wrap and packaging peanuts. Do you have any tips?

By Deb

I use packing peanuts to refill my kids' beanbag chairs - I have also made a new beanbag chair, stuffing it with peanuts (directions for making beanbag cahirs are at, I think in the sewing section). If you don't have any beanbag chairs, you could ask a daycare center if they would like them for beanbag chairs or craft projects. The bubble wrap is a non-issue at my house, since my kids actually FIGHT over who gets to pop it!

Use packaging peanuts in the bottom of plants to let the water drain from the soil.

I use the packing peanuts to make pictures of snowmen with my kids. I let them glue the peanuts in and the we sprinkle salt on the glue to make them sparkle.

If you're thinking of making a beanbag chair for your kids, save those packing peanuts to use instead of buying the polystyrene beads they suggest. I recently made one for our kids for the cost of the material. You can also continue to refill as needed, for no cost at all.

Susan - Waverly, NY

I work in the receiving area at the Hobby Lobby store in Kearney, NE, and save bubble wrap to give to people who are moving to wrap breakables in. Also had a customer ask for large sheets I take off furniture to put inside windows for insulation in the winter. You just go around the edges with box tape, then use double stick tape to seal it to the window. It still lets light in, but distorts the view of people looking in for privacy, especially good for bedroom and bathroom windows.

The cornstarch packing peanuts i use to wash my face, it takes all the oil off... i wet the end of the peanut and dab on my face & wash off with a washcloth. The plastic foam ones: kids can string them into garlands or doorway strands.

ALSO yes to using the large bubblewrap for window insulation, only don't tape it, just spray window with a little water and the bubble side of wrap will stick to the window. Very thrifty doable insulation.

I make door and window "doggies" that block out the wind (and dirt) when the wind blows here. Just make a fabric tube with one end and side sewn shut, fill with packing peanuts and sew other end shut with hand stitching. Makes the furnace and the a/c work for peanuts. LOL

I use the peanuts in the bottom of plant pots instead of rocks. It does the same thing (help with drainage) but is a lot lighter, especially in the big pots

Packing Materials
Reusing Packing Materials
Better Living Green Living ReusingApril 13, 2001
Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Stamps and Colored Ink
Cleaning Foam Stamps
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
Uses for Bubble Wrap
Uses for Bubble Wrap