Make a Garage Sale Shopping List

It's yard sale time again! If you count yard-saling as an integral part of your thrifty lifestyle, you need to approach it with the same organization skills you'd approach any other undertaking. One of the ways I've found to get the most from yard sale season is to make a list of "wants" - list the items you'd like to find along with the price you're willing to pay. I exchange these lists with other yard-saling buddies, in case they happen upon something that I'd like, and vice-versa.

This year's list includes thermoses, an applesauce mill, an ice cream machine, blender, and of course, toys/clothes for the kids. I'll probably come upon other "wants" during the season - and adjust my list accordingly. It's a little like a scavenger hunt. Even if you don't exchange your list with others, making and keeping a list of wanted items, as well as a general idea of what you'd like to pay for each item, is a good exercise, and helps you home-in on items on your list, amidst the piles and tables of the average yard sale.