Browsing: Vacuuming Tips and Tricks

Vacuuming Tips

Hate to keep unplugging the vacuum cleaner as you go around the house? Add an extension cord. Also, spray some perfume on a tissue, tear it up and then vacuum it up it. Makes the house smell great!

By Janina

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I have used the perfumed floor powders until I learned they are no good for the carpet or the vacuum. Next time I'll use the Kleenex method. Thanks for the tip.

Using an extension cord is a great idea but please be sure to use a cord that has the guage load to handle the amps pulled from your vaccum.

I got reminded of something just today. To prevent accidentally sucking things into your vacuum that could bind it, check the area for loose items first. This includes trailing blankets and loose carpet strings. I was careless today and burned out yet another flimsy belt. Bleah!

Here's another thought: If you have an odd-shaped room or need to navigate around furniture that's too heavy to move, turn your vacuuming into a simple geometric puzzle. For instance, I can mentally break down my living room into a series of rectangles. Thinking about the pattern makes the job a little easier and less like work.

Remember to keep just a little slack in the cord. If you hold a loop of cord in your hand, you'll know without looking when you've come to the end of your vacuum's reach before you accidentally yank the plug from the outlet.

Overlap your "vacuum tracks" as if you were using the lawnmower. You can see when you miss a spot with the lawnmower, but not necessarily with the vacuum. Overlapping means you get the whole carpet without missing spots.

Last but not least, avoid releasing the recently-swept dirt back into the room, especially if you're an allergy sufferer as I am. I have a bagless vacuum and when it's time to empty the dirt cup, I slip the whole thing and my hand up to the wrist into a plastic grocery bag. Then I carefully tip the cup into the bag. A little shake and voila! I wrap the dirt in the bag and double it back on itself before I tie it off. My strategy may not help much, but hey - the less stuff floating around aggravating my allergies, the better!

Firstly, adding perfumed anything to the dust bag on board or bagless chamber can damage the filter, particularly if you have a Miele vacuum - it warns against using scented anything. Perfume can also saturate the bag and cause the motor to ignite since perfume is flammable.

The best alternative is to use a room spray as you would normally rather than bothering anything with a vacuum cleaner. Or talcum powder but even then you'll damage the filter on board or clog up the bag, dependent on what you have.

Another thing - regarding emptying a bagless vac - even if you use a plastic bag, dust bags in vacuums are so much more hygienic these days - there's a reason to why schools and hospitals still use bagged vacuums.

Vacuuming Tips and Tricks
Vacuuming Tips and Tricks
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsApril 26, 1999
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 4:22:51 AM on 10.0.2.9 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.