Browsing: Kitty Litter Substitutes

Shredded Newspaper as Cat Litter

Did you ever think of using shredded newspapers for cat litter? Works for my cats! I got one of those big plastic "blanket bins" that you'd slide under a bed, and use it for me cat litter tray, placing the cover underneath it for easier sliding. Then I place a layer of folded newspaper sections in it to cover the bottom, sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on top of that for deodorizing, and then begin to shred whole sections of newspaper into the tub, tearing them into 1 inch strips.

Be generous, I use a whole Sunday paper and fluff the strips up a bit when you're done. Just place this in the litterbox's usual place. It's cheap and easy to replace and takes care of two problems, eliminating the need for expensive cat litter, as well as recycling the newspaper in a really useful way as well!

Note: Maybe you should use the new bin with your regular litter for a little while, until they get use to the new tray. Also: A newspaper section is usually a bit serrated on one edge. That's the edge you'd tear from, to go with the grain and be able to tear even strips.

By Joanne

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

If I might add to Joanne's great tip (I use it myself, saves a fortune): we have a paper shredder which we originally got for security reasons (stuff with SS # on it, etc) but it works great for shredding the newspaper also. If u don't have 1, they are often on sale cheap at WalMart. Also great for shredding tissue paper for gifts. Thanks Joanne

Another little thing I have found out, just recently, is that my ferret would never use the litter box with any amount of frequency until I changed to shredded magazines, newspaper, etc.

You can also buy those little wee wee pads and put them in the litter box, for ferrets. Some ferrets will not step foot on litter. I don't blame them, I don't like it either, it is sharp and uncomfortable. As for my cats, when I buy litter, I buy the expensive stuff, the clumpable stuff. Even so, the ferret hates it. She gets the shredded paper. :)

Kitty Litter Substitute
Kitty Litter Substitutes
Pets CatsJune 6, 2001
Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 19, 2016 at 4:05:56 AM on 10.0.1.228 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.