Thrifty Tips

Readers

Adopting Your Next Pet

Adopt your next dog or cat from an animal shelter. They are much less expensive than a pet store, and you usually get reduced spay/neuter rates, you get all that free love!

- Sandra
~ ~ ~

Think before you buy

Think about how long it takes you to earn the money (hourly wise) to buy that one big item, and you might end up changing your mind!
-Beth
~ ~ ~

Closure clips off of potato bags

My wife saves the plastic closure clip off of potato bags and uses them as row counters in her crochet projects. These same looking tabs cost $5.00 in magazines
- Bryan
~ ~ ~

Cold water all day long... Refreshing!

I reuse plastic soda bottles or juice bottles and fill them with water and freeze. When my husband goes to shoe horses, he grabs 1 or 2 and as it thaws out he has cold water to drink. (Editor's Note: Good for use in coolers, too.)

- Karen

The tip to freeze water in plastic soda or juice bottles works excellent with iced tea. As it melts it does not dillute the drink as the "ice" is also frozen tea. Just remember not to fill the bottle full as the beverage will expand as it freezes and leave the cap loose or off untill it is frozen. I have done this for many years now and new people who see me do it are now doing it themselves.

ONE OF THE BEST THINGS TO HAVE IN YOUR HOME/APT IS A WEATHER RADIO THAT GIVES NOTHING BUT WEATHER, NOTHING ELSE. WHEN YOU BUY ONE MAKE SURE IT HAS A SIREN ON IT. SO MANY OF THE STORMS HIT AT NITE WHEN WE ARE ASLEEP. I GOT ONE OF MINE AT RADIO SHACK. ALSO IT IS ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS I PACK IN THE LUGGAGE WHEN GOING ANYWHERE AS IT WILL PICK UP ON THE WEATHER WHERE EVER YOU ARE. ALSO THEY DO HAVE A BACKUP BATTERY INCASE THE POWER GOES OUT. MINE HAS THE 9-VOLT BATTERY. THIS COULD SAVE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY I HAVE ALSO GIVEN THESE AS GIFTS

Adopting animals from a shelter is an excellent idea, but why not ask friends if they know of anyone wanting to give a pet away. Lots of puppies and kittens need homes and love. You could always look in free publications, like we have Buy/Sell Bulletins here. They always have free pets in them.

Better Living Frugal Living TipsJune 8, 2001
Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
Pine needle bunches tied with fabric.
Crafts Using Pine Needles
Close-up of Little Chocolate Bells
Saving Money On Candy
Primary Colored Shirts on Clothesline
Making a Clothesline
🎉
🎄