DishesCleaning

More Water Softening Problems

Category Dishes

The hardness of our water tested at 20 grains. Best advice seems to be to install a water softener. Since neither sodium or potassium is acceptable in husband's diet we were advised to install softener on hot water only. Is this a viable solution? Is there a better way? The crux of our problem is that the glasses in the dishwasher come out cloudy and the dishes grainy, even with the commercial rinses in the last cycle.

This is in response to the question on water softeners. One reader asked if she could install a water softener on her hot water only, because potassium and sodium are not acceptable in her husbands diet. If she is concerned about hypertension, potassium chloride does not have the same affect on your body as sodium chloride does.

I'm not sure if it will be useful to hook up the water softener to the hot water only. I'm sure it could be done, but then any cooking they do would have to be with cold water only. If you made coffee or tea, or boiled water starting with hot water, the potassium from the water softener would be absorbed by the food and then eaten. - Tony M.

Here's a link for a sodium free water softening system.

Here's another salt free system. This one will not work for iron only calcium deposits.

Seems to me that if your biggest problem is with the dishwasher, I would try adding vinegar to the rinse cycle. I've heard there are very good results with hard water problems.

Add one cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle. This also works well in the washer for softening clothes. - Susan

An appliance man told me, after I found my glasses to be very foggy when coming from the dishwasher, to use much less detergent... He suggested filling the cups only one quarter full. Dishwasher detergent is very harsh and it pits the glassware. He said the smaller amount of the dishwasher detergent will do just as good a job as using much more.. I found he was right - Carol