Saving on Makeup

How can I save on cosmetic basics such as eyeshadow, mascara, and lipstick, without sacrificing quality?

By Mary P.

I have found the neatest site www.bigbigsavings.com. Alot of time they have free makeup. They also have alot of other free stuff to try. We have really recieved alot of nice things. You might want to try this site

Anonymous

I buy a lot of my cosmetics from Avon. They have great products and offer specials in every booklet. I've gotten eye shadow for as little as $1.99 and they often have buy-one-get-one-free offers.

Another suggestion is to pay attention to drugstore ads in your Sunday paper. Every week, stores like Rite Aid and CVS offer many coupons good for cosmetics and hair products, and they will also accept manufacturer's coupons on the same product. So if they have something on sale with their coupon for $1.99 and you have a manufacturer's coupon for $1.00, you get the product for $.99. Last week, they had hair color on sale for $4.99 and I had a $5.00 coupon - free hair color!!!

- Lynn in Virginia

Anonymous

There are several brands that are less expensive, but are still quality products. You really have to try different things to see what works for you. As for lipstick and facial powder (loose) you can extend their life! For the lipstick, you can dab the color onto your lips and use a lip balm or petroleum jelly to even it out. Or you can take a small amount of the lipstick (say that in the bottom of the tube) and mix it with a bit of petroleum jelly and apply with a lip brush. You can also buy a pack of lipsticks (usually 10 or 12 tubes) at a discount store for around $5, and mix different colors to get a shade that is right for you.

To extend the life of your loose powder, you can mix cornstarch or baby powder with it. (Obviously this works better on lighter complexions)

- Brandi

To save lipsticks - I use a lipstick brush to get to the very bottom of the tube of my lipstick. That way I don't have to discard my lipstick when it gets too low to apply to my lips.