Replacing Griddle

Years ago I purchased an electric griddle and I think it was some type of galvanized aluminum. It lasted me about 35 years. It was about 8 1/2" x 11" and was fully immersible.

It had a small opening in the middle on the edge so that you could empty any excess fat. At the opposite side was a prong type insert adapter with degrees on it and one end plugged into the griddle and the other end plugged into a wall electrical outlet. This was not Teflon coated.

Well, over the years the insert adapter started disintegrating. I wrote to the manufacturer with the model number and they sent me a replacement, but it never really fit properly and the same thing started happening. Other than that the griddle is all intact and the size covers my stovetop really well therefore allowing me a good spot to place it when using it. I am not interested in a Teflon griddle as Teflon has proven to be cancer causing and it seems that that is all that is offered.

I have looked in many, many stores all throughout the U.S. and have searched the internet and have even tried eBay and have been unsuccessful. Is there anyone out there that could help? I would even consider purchasing one from you depending on the condition. An advanced thank you to any and all who may be of help.

Joe's Girl

I have a comment on today's reader's request list. Joes' Girl makes the following statement:

"I am not interested in a TEFLON griddle as Teflon has proven to be cancer causing"

In reporting this, your readers will take this as true, when in fact, Teflon itself is NOT KNOWN TO BE A CARCINOGEN! This is just one person's opinion (that is not shared by the EPA.) However, the EPA and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), which is one of the National Institutes of Health lists "TETRAFLUOROETHYLENE, a chemical used in producing Teflon and other polymers, as well as having been used as a propellant for food product aerosols, as "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen." (

In addition, the EPA web site has a list of chemicals known or suspected to be carcinogens. Again, TETRAFLUOROETHYLENE is listed as "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen" but it DOES NOT list Teflon itself. (

Editor's Note: Thanks for your research and clarification.

I'd suggest, just keep looking. Check out your local thrift shops. They quite often keep controllers of all types or may have a griddle like yours on sale. Also check local garage sales and flea markets.

- Susan

Consumer Advice Product FinderSeptember 5, 2001
Eggs cooking on an electric griddle.
Buying an Electric Griddle
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Making Cookies on an Electric Griddle