MiscellaneousCrafts

Mail Box Covers or Decorations

Category Miscellaneous

Thanks for the hint about using table cloth to cover mailbox. Does anyone else have any cheap ideas on how to cover the regular silver colored mailboxes? I really want to cover mine. I have a Christmas cover around here somewhere. (That is the biggest joke in our family, it's around here somewhere. Sometimes I wonder if Jimmy Hoffa and the Lost Dutchman Mine are around here somewhere.) Thanks in advance for any ideas.

By Linne

Anonymous

When we first moved to our home in the country, I noticed the dented tin mailbox and thought of replacing it, but instead used some left over green rust proof paint and painted it all over. It looked clean and nice, but then I wanted to perk it up so with some yellow and red leftover rust proof paint, I painted large flowers all over. On my daily walks I can see my cheerful mailbox and might proud of it too! Didn't spend a penny. Trudy

Try using mack-tack to cover your mail box. You will not need very much can get all Kinds of different patterns it is cheap and if you get bored with it just replace it. To help it last longer put a touch of silicone on the edges to keep water from getting under it. If you really want to get fancy use different colors and create your own design.

Before the "community" mailboxes came into play, I had painted on our mailbox. It was black and in gold paint I painted an eagle with a fish in its talons on one side and in various colors I painted a fly fisherman on the other side. I still have our old mailbox and have been begging my husband to screw it down on our front deck so that I can put a notepad inside so that if friends or family come by while we are out they can leave a message for us.

At our previous address, we had one neighbor that bought small wooden window boxes and took metal straps that were screwed down to the mailbox and also screwed onto each window box and they hung on either side of the mailbox and in summer they planted flowers and in winter they placed silk arrangements in there. They were lucky not to have another mailbox right up close to theirs to prevent that.

Another neighbor took an old cowboy boot and nailed it to the mailbox stand with the heel of the boot backed up to the back of the mailbox and filled it with dirt and silk flowers. On American holidays they added the American flag.