Browsing: Using Horseradish

Using Horseradish

I grew a lot of horseradish this year. I'm wondering how to use it. Do I need to peel the roots? Are the leaves edible? Does anyone have recipes for preparing horseradish, preserving it and any ways I can use this up?

By Susan

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Susan,

My father has lots of horseradish, and this is how he prepares it:

Peel the roots

Cut it into chunks

Put it in the blender with a little water

Watch it so it doesn't puree, but so it's a little bit coarse (you might have to add a little more water to the desired consistency)

Put it into jars and put in the frig, it'll last forever.

No, I've never heard of the leaves being edible, and I've never heard of anyone freezing it.

Hope this helps!

- Vicki

Hello -- in the spring when the leaves are tender, I use them in roast beef sandwiches instead of lettuce. In the fall after the first frost, we dig a root or two, scrub it well, cutting off knots and so forth, and grate it on a hand grater or in the blender. For about half a cup of gratings I add enough vinegar to barely cover and then keep it in the refrigerator. Some people add beet juice to color it. If you cook horseradish, it loses its bite.

- Patricia

Peel enough root to make ONE cup from blender. Then add 1/4 cup of white vinegar. Then let age for a while.

- gold89wing

Vicki you forgot to add vinegar. Your mix without vinegar can be dangerous as botulism might grow in it. Vinegar stops botulism.

Horseradish
Using Horseradish
Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesOctober 2, 2001
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Horseradish
Growing Horseradish
Horseradish Sauce
Horseradish Sauce Recipes
wasabi horseradish and paste
Recipes Using Wasabi
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 3:03:55 PM on 10.0.1.233 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.