Feedback on Library Tip

As I librarian I wanted to thank the reader who suggested that people request that their library either purchase or borrow from other libraries items that are needed. Most libraries are happy to "go the extra mile" to get whatever is needed to satisfy patron's requests. Many users of libraries are not aware of this service. We can usual get almost anything that is requested (although sometimes it will take a little time, therefore patience may be necessary).

By Helpful Reader

There was a very good tip that, even when your library doesn't have the book you want, request it. This was the means I used to read the third volume of the Tightwad Gazette books. Because I requested it, they got an inter-library loan, and I was able to read a book that normally "lives" at a library in another state. If you use an inter-library loan, you do need to know that you will be required to follow the rules of the library making the loan, so you might have a few less days to read, and you probably won't be able to renew. I found that it was well worth it, anyway.

By Rose B, mother of three, in NC

Carol, if you re-read the librarians message you will see that she was referring to 'inter-library loans' as being the service many people do not know about. I think the majority of people who are interested know full well about checking out books and movies for free, but many did not know that if an item is not available through their own library, they can request it through the Inter-Library Loan system.

Rather hung up on your tax dollars, aren't you?

I love the library. I go there often for movies, books

or just to read the Sunday paper. I don't own a computer but when I need a computer I know where to go - for free!.