Denture Cleaning Tablets for Coffee and Tea Cup Stains

Clean coffee or tea stains from cups using denture cleaning tablets, can also be used in other ceramic containers.

Source: I saw it on a TV program on how to clean things on a low budget.

by John from Lanarkshire, Scotland

I think a little dab of Comet & some elbow grease would be a lot cheaper than using denture tablets.

There are lots of great ideas here! Thanks everyone.

My suggestion is to avoid all the abrasive techniques. If you have to rub it then it will eventually make your cups or other items look old. Cleanser, salt, toothpaste, etc. All those powders and pastes are abrasive to some extent. Don't use them if you don't have to. Cleaners that work without scrubbing or rubbing will make your glassware look better longer.

December 14, 2009 Flag

I used to live in England and they drink lots of tea there. The way that they clean the stains is to wet the inside of the cup and rub salt over the stains. It works easy and fast. This also works for coffee stains.

By Heather from Whitman, MA

Cleaning Coffee and Tea Stains from Cups

I buy an container of Oxygen based cleaner at the Dollar store and just put about 1/2 scoop in the cup, fill it with hot water and the stains are removed immediately. No scrubbing with anything harsh that might damage the surface of the cup or mug. (12/06/2006)

By Roberta

excellent suggestion (01/07/2007)

By Ed

Best for me have been the commercial tablets sold to clean dentures. Drop one in the dirty cup filled with water, and Voila! Completely clean in a few minutes. (02/27/2007)

By Max

I tried Jane's toothpaste method. It worked like a charm!!! The toothpaste I used contained baking soda too, which could have made the results all the more amazing. (05/12/2007)

By David

I use 409 spray. Just spray it on and watch the stains run. If the stains don't run with just spraying the 409 on the stains, then take a sponge that has the non-stick cookware scrubber on one side, wet the sponge with water and wash the cup with the 409 spray using the scrubber side of the sponge. The stains will wash away with very little effort. (01/12/2008)

By Joanne

The oxygen cleaner works like a charm with NO effort! (04/23/2008)

By Honey

This truly works and it is so easy. Thank you! (07/06/2008)

By sjhills

The salt worked like a charm and so fast! Thanks (07/12/2008)

By Hope

Thank you - amazing! and no environmental impact. THANK YOU! (07/25/2008)

By Gordon

For VERY tough tea stains, this finally did the trick - first, scrubbed with salt and damp green scrubby, then scrubbed with baking soda, then soaked in pure bleach for half an hour. None of these worked on their own, but a combination of all seemed to loosen the stain and finally remove it.

Thanks for advice! (09/07/2008)

By Julie

I have read through the entire list of suggestions for cleaning tea/coffee stains from cups from the list of posted suggestions and have tried them all at one time or another. None of them worked.

The cup has the name "Eurita, Reston Lloyd", Made in China. They are light colored and have a glossy finish. They are light in weight so I am sure the are not china, but they may be ceramic. (12/04/2008)

By Norman T.

I just used the salt method. It worked great. Thanks a million. (01/01/2009)

By Jen

Cream of tartar and a little water work great on cups and on your coffee pot. (01/17/2009)

By j suber

December 5, 2006 Flag

I know someone out there will come to my rescue so here is my question: what can I use to remove coffee and/or tea stains on CorningWare coffee cups. I have used a gentle scrubbing pad (not SOS), soft scrub and even have used bleach to no avail. Thanks in advance for your solutions.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all and please take a few minutes to realize that even though this good old world has a lot of new problems and some of us out there this year are down in the dumps we still have a lot to be thankful for.

Joe's Girl

I read over the CorningWare site and they say to clean with vinegar or nonabrasive cleanser. I remember they used to recommend Bon Ami which is a cleanser that can be found in the same section as Comet. You could also try baking soda. It will take off many stains and not scratch the surface.

Soak in With Vinegar Overnight

This is in response to Joe's Girl, who is having trouble removing stains from her CorningWare coffee cups. She should try soaking the cups in straight vinegar, overnight. That should take out the stains.

Baking Soda

This is for Joe's girl wanting to know how to remove coffee stains off her CorningWare. Dip a damp cloth in baking soda and rub on the stains. Will not scratch and will remove the stains. This is good also for removing those burned stains on the edges of glass baking dishes.

I would try making a paste with baking soda and let them sit over night.

A paste of baking soda takes these stains out very easily and with no damage.

Dear Joe's Girl

I can usually get these out by rubbing with a damp dishcloth and a little baking soda. Good luck!

Corning Cleaner & Conditioner

Corning makes a cleanser that removes the rust marks from utensils & also from hard water deposits. It is called "Corning Cleaner & Conditioner" Specially formulated by Corning to Clean, Polish, Protect.

Post by hskper

I use a weak bleach solution in my CorningWare cups as well as with other ceramic cups and coffee pots. I soak over night and the next morning every thing is bright and clean. No scrubbing or rubbing.

Post by mary (Guest Post)

Dawn Power Dissolver

I recently bought an old CorningWare coffee pot with coffee stains so bad that baking soda would not remove them. I found that Dawn Power Dissolver works great.

Post by Laura (Guest Post)

Dishwasher Detergent

I use liquid dishwasher detergent. then let it soak

Post by Etched (Guest Post) (11/14/2001)

December 5, 2006 Flag

To remove tea and coffee stains from cups or glasses, dampen a dishcloth or paper towel with water, then dip in baking soda and rub.

Denture Tablet
Cleaning Uses for Denture Tablets
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesDecember 14, 2009
A denture tablet submerged in water.
Storing Denture Tablets
tea cup
Cleaning Teapots and Tea Cups
dirty coffee cup
Cleaning Discolored Coffee Cups
Crochet top pin cushion, a craft found on Thriftyfun. Submitted by a member.
Making a Tea Cup Pincushion