Stocking Stuffer Ideas

Stockings hung on a fireplace mantle.
Finding the perfect yet inexpensive stocking stuffers can take some thought. Look here for great ideas for thrifty stocking stuffers. This guide contains stocking stuffer ideas.

Tired of the same old stocking stuffers? Here's a horse of a different color idea. Instead of using a traditional stocking why not use something entirely different.

For example:

Teens and Adults

Paperback books. (These can often be found in new condition at used book stores.), Socks, Energy Bars for school lunches, Gift Certificates, especially for chain restaurants near their schools, Small fragrant soaps, Pocket calendars, Lotions, Shaving Gels. Charities that provide gifts for children say it is especially important for the teenage children to receive gifts and they are always looking for stocking stuffer gifts for these young ones. Too often, the teens in struggling families take on adult family responsibilities way beyond their years and they need to be remembered at Christmas, too.

Lynn - West of Eugene, OR

Useful Items

Gloves, Ice Scrape, De-Icer, Hot Oil Treatment packet, Barrettes and hair ties, Pens, Pencils and Erasers, Scissors, Pencil Sharpener

Susan

For Adults

I always felt that stocking stuffers for adults and teens were easier than coming up with ideas for children. Some things that have worked really well in the past for me are: Small or sample sized colognes, Manicure sets or makeup brush sets, Slipper socks (I think everyone can use these!), Chapstick, Prepaid phone cards, Bubble bath/sponges/bath oil beads, Address books or pocket calendars, Keepsake ornament, Shaving kits (you can buy trial-sized shaving cream and after-shave at discount stores), Pen or pencil sets, Bean-bag babies, Gift certificates to music stores, movie theaters, or a video store. Happy Holidays!

Brandi

Tools

Everyone, even teenagers, can use pliers or screwdrivers. For little ones: colors and coloring books.

Nell

Here's what I would like to receive...

These are some of the things I would like to receive as stocking stuffers! A package of safety pins in assorted sizes, scotch tape, Band-Aids, paperclips, Kleenex, a small calculator, a small mirror, felt tip permanent ink pen, wash rags, dish rags, small trash bag liners (they have pretty, scented ones now), a list of current addresses, phone numbers, and E-mail addresses, a new coffee mug, anything small to add to a collection I might have, envelopes, stamps, fabric glue, black and/or white thread and/or coasters. Some of these are very common but very necessary when you need them.

Jela

Science Items

My Dad is a semi-retired mad scientist, that explains my bend towards this sort of stuff. I've been doing some business with Edmunds Scientifics forever - never a problem. It's fun for adults and kids. Our daughter once stated that she noticed that she only got gifts that encouraged her curiosity. They had a special (on their catalog order form) for a bag of various sized prisms. This is only poured glass - nothing spookier than the glass in your window panes. If placed in a sunny window pane/clear glued, it is fun to watch for a rainbow in different places during the day as the sun changes. The childrens' ward at the hospital love theirs as they anticipate the next rainbow. Each tiny prism is individually wrapped in a small cardboard box. I don't have much money, but was able to give a rainbow to people who have had recent troubles, and a surprise gift for my family and friends. Be good, and have some fun.

By Susan

A Few Ideas

Another few stocking stuffer ideas would be life savers, nail files, small pack of tissues.

Pat Shook.

My Idea

Disposable camera, scratch off lottery tickets, local fast food $5 certificates, crosswords or riddle books, car fresheners, key chains, ornaments, ice scraper, address book, quality pen or mechanical pencil, hot chocolate. These work for both sexes.

Essa

Scratch Tickets and More

Chapstick, Toothbrush, Chocolate Books and/or magazines, Holiday Scratch Tickets, Trial size shave gel or hand cream, razors. For kids: Toothbrush, chocolate, bracelets, ornaments, pencils/crayons, books, craft kits.

Shawna

Happy Meal Toys

If you can manage it without the kids knowing, kids meal toys make great stocking stuffers.

Calnorth

Clearance Items

Use coupons for buy 1, get free gum, candy, etc. Check throughout the year for small clearance items.

Michelle

For Hubby

I had a few ideas that I am planning on putting in my hubby's stocking. Starbucks gift card, Desktop(one-a-day) calendar, Personal Certificates for Favors, Hugs, Etc. Russel Stovers Candy, Lottery Scratch Tickets, Alcohol Samples (little bottles that you can buy at the liquor store to try new kinds of alcohol), A Car Compass (the sticky kind).

Jennifer

Crafty Ideas

A few great ideas for stuffers are: a christmas ornament that you buy at a craft store that you can paint and put a picture of yourself in, a bar of handmade soap, a can of their favorite fruit/vegetable (ie. olives, fruit cocktail etc.), make a CD of their favorite songs, one of those tiny sewing kits for repairs on the go.

Tina.

More Ideas

Lottery scratchoffs, gum, makeup for the ladies, skin care items, boxers for the gentleman, small and inexpensive jewelry

Ideas for men: chapstick, shaving cream, favorite snack, gum/mints, boxers/jogging pants, personal grooming kit (Wal-Mart had some with razors, tweezers, shoe horn, comb, finger and toe nail clippers), lottery tickets, desktop calendar. My husband needed a cell phone charger for his truck. - By Brooke

Trivia Card Games, Popcorn & popcorn seasonings, Work gloves (for men), Garden gloves (for women), Eye makeup remover & cotton remover pads, Their favorite styling products, face and/or body cream, antibacterial hand soap for kitchen, small frames with special picture in it, a scarf you knit yourself.

Nicole

Gift Cards

Gift cards are great. LIke Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Albertson's, etc.

My List of Ideas

Here are some ideas: Lotion, Candles, Ornaments, Card Games (UNO, Phase 10, Etc.), Mini Tool Kit, Bath Stuff (bubbles, beads, fizzy things), Magic Towels, Nail Files, Nail Polish, Make-up, Yo-Yo, Candy, Lottery Tickets (Christmas Type), Gloves, Flavored Tea, Hot Chocolate, or Coffee, Gift Certificates, Matchbox Cars, Crayons, Pens, Pencils (school stuff), Mini Shaving Creams, Razors, Jewelry, Chapstick.

Amanda

Clearance Aisle at Walmart

For several weeks and months I watch the clearance aisle at our Wal-Mart store. Mostly I am only able to find things suitable for stocking stuffers, but I am almost always able to find several. This year I found scarves for .40 cents a piece and socks for .75 cents a pair! It pays to look!

Robin

Goodies and a Letter From Santa

Toothbrushes, eye-shadow, matchbox cars, underwear, orange, pack of gum, scratch off tickets, sample size deodorant (they love it since they are 6 and 8, they feel grown up), perfume samplers, deck of cards, $10 gift certificate to a local gas station, bag of fruit snacks, granola bars. They all get a personal letter handwritten by Santa telling them what wonderful things they did over the year.

Cher

One Dollar Bills

I put 5 crisp one dollar bills in my 5 year old's stocking. I also bought a gift certificate book to McDonald's for him. He thinks he is so grown up paying for items himself. I don't do gift cards, he loves to get the change back and purchase other items. I also get tickets to the zoo, aquarium, movies, etc and put one in each one of our stockings.

ANGEL

Batteries and More

Batteries, photo film, shoe laces, breath mints, flavored tooth picks, disposable bibs for baby, hand sanitizer for purse and hand cream, crayons, paints, Legos, magic tricks.

Jcerar

Halloween Clearance Candy

Right after halloween I went to Target and found my sister's favorite candies for only 50 cents for a big bag! I have enough to put a few in everyone's stocking.

Melody

Shake Up Flashlights

Shake up flashlights for the kids, no batteries needed, ever!

Harlean from Arkansas

Emergency Items for the Car

For women and driving teens: a good dependable flashlight and emergency flares for their car, in case of roadside emergency. For men: knives. For Preteens: an accessory to go along with their personal interests. For children: flavored chap-stick, sing-a-long CD's. I think the rest has been covered. There are some really good ideas listed.

Tina, TX

The best stocking stuffer that I've ever seen was batteries. Everyone needs batteries!

At my local Dollar General they have secetion where things are on clerance for a $1.00. So far I picked up note pads, and stickers. They also have other items for a little more like candles and crayons. My kids are young.

how about jumper cables, fix it tire spray, flares, other stuff to put in a emergency kit - bandaids, antibactrial spray, and such. I remember once when my father hauled out the kit because a man who was rollerskating fell and nicely ripped up his knee!

Pez dispencer and the candy to go with it!

FOR ADULTS....napkins, socks, toothpicks, duck tape, cd, puzzle books, playing cards, books, magazines, deodarant, tea, hot chocolate, coffee, nuts, lottery tickets, pens, mints, gum, candy, dish cloth, flash light, candles, travel games, gift certificates, jewllery, cook book, comb, brush, wallet, note pad, calendars, dvd's.

Wow, you have all outdone yourself with your suggestions, I'm sure that I will put some of these items in my family member's stockings this year. Thank you all and Happy Holidays.

shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hairspray, comb, brush, mirror, hair clips, socks, after shave, , shave gel, tooth brush, tooth paste, movies, dvd, cd, lottery tickets, envelopes, thank you cards, scotch tape, pay as you go cell phone card, cheese spreader, nut cracker, nuts, key chain, books, book mark, nail polish, soap, games, golf balls, wine opener, hand cream, cosmetic bag, address book, note pad, doll, lego, hot wheels, coloring book, crayons, pens, animal toys, kitchen utencils, clock, batteries, calendar, small tools, paper clips, staples, ties, gloves, glasses, hat, scarf, mitts, slippers, dictionary, photo frame, one-time-use camera, pringles, cologne, grooming kit, curling iron, mouthwash, cough drops, air freshner, tide stain remover pen, scissors, make up set, and watches,

book of stamps

Just a few ideas that may or may not have been mentioned yet. hand warmers, lens clothes (for eyeglasses or monitor screens), eyeglass repair kit, utility knife, night light and/or bulbs, decorative wine corks, chip clips, fridge magnets, room fragrancers (glade plug-ins, etc.), SD memory cards or jump drives, lanyards, retractable key or ID holder, spices (hot sauce variety), commemorative coins, a book or roll of stamps, tokens to your local arcade, coupon saver book, super glue, holiday pins, pins of their favorite sports team or player, koozie, favorite tobacco product (pipe tobacco, cigar, etc), dental floss, small figurines, kitchen utensils, candle snuffer, matches/lighters, decorated blank keys (krazy keys) to have their home or auto key copied, auto fragrancers, head scarves, belts, lapel pins, cuff links, ties, medical alert bracelets, pill divider and cutter. I have a number of people to buy for - all ages and relation.

Digital Photo Frame, Zune, Cell Phone, mini digital camera, fly fusion pen, Bobby Pins, Pocket sized Journal, chocolate, candy cane, lip gloss, deck of cards, at Barnes and Noble there is this cute little "Piece of Charcoal" which will have them freak out but it has a bunch of game ideas for it!, Little Virtual Pet Games, Cds, Microphone, Voice Recorder, car keys, concert tickets, slipper socks, money, gum, deodorant, perfume, sample sized lotion, soaps, catch phrase, 20Q, barbie for little girls, poster for teens, curling iron, straightener, hairspray, DVD, personalized postits, t-shirt with their favorite band/animal/singer/color/actor/actress, crystal bracelet, pocket book, Harry Potter Wand, Webkinz, mini flash light, DON'T JUST USE THESE! COME UP WITH YOUR OWN! STRETCH YOUR MIND! MAKE THE PRESENT SPECIAL!

For kids...brag size photo album filled with their family or friends photos, those camping light sticks (so much fun at night), bath scrungys, you know those round lacely balls you wash with? apple or orange, very small cans of playdoh, stickers, personalized pencils, nightlights, glossy lip balm, or regular for boys, hair ribbons for girls, new combs for boys, bandades with characters, silly straws, snow globes, very small sample bottles of perfume or colonge, mittens and travel size personal items like shampoo. The note that hints where the biggest gift is hidden. vitamin enriched cough drops.

WOW so many good ideas thank you all!! I always put a bag of Hersheys kisses and a bag of hersheys hugs in my hubby's stocking. It is not only his favorite candy but it gives him kisses and hugs from me when ever he has one!

Great ideas, but don't forget the Orange (or tangerine) and nuts (in the shell). The orange goes in first to help shape the toe. It's a tradition I grew up with. Orange, nuts, candy, and then the gifts!

Some good stocking stuffer ideas are chapstick, batteries, piggy banks, candy canes, wallet, nail clippers, nail polish, glasses case, flashlight, stay home socks, scarfs, hats, gloves,movie tickets, or gift cards to local fast food places.

Baseball and basketball cards, candy , small bottles of cologne, CD, jewelry, socks, gloves, movie tickets, gift cards

Eyelash curler, lip chap stuff, body sprays, socks, mints, mouthwash, posters, tooth brush, stuff if they have a pet like an add on to a cage or something if its there own pet.

I think one of the most clever ideas I've ever seen for a stocking stuffer for a child is to get a small block of CLEAR glycerin soap at the craft shop and melt it gently, as per instructions. Fold a new-ish $5 bill (or what your budget will allow) and press flat with an iron. Using either an honest-to-goodness soap making form or a small plastic container(even a yogurt container), pour melted glycerin soap to a depth of about 5/8". Let set until almost firm and place the folded money on it. Pour another 5/8" melted soap on top.

You may need to watch it for awhile and poke it down with a skewer to make sure the money doesn't float from the middle. When totally set, pop out of form and wrap in bright cellophane and ribbons. Your days of reminding your child to wash their hands before dinner are over as they see themselves getting closer and closer to that cash!

I always roll up a magazine and stuff it in there. Love the 5.00 DVD bin at wal-mart. Gourmet canned/jarred foods like olives, oysters, and tapenades. Personalized/engraved key chain, sample size specialty coffee, tea, scratch tickets, wallet/change purses, magnets (better if they have special meaning). Christmas tree ornament to be used the following year, memory cards for the technology-saavy, new toothbrush (they'll need it after the holidays:), for kids: single pillow case with their fave character. It always takes some searching for good stocking stuffers, but I think it's worth it when you put the care into it.

I usually buy a few reusable hand warmers from www.HotSnapZ.com for all the children, nieces and nephews in the family.

Practical, low cost and give a great "WOW" effect when kids first see them work. (btw, I found their name is pronounced like 'hotsnaps') Always unique, I've never gone wrong with them as a stocking stuffer idea.

The most exciting stocking stuffer I ever got was tickets to winter jam...a Christan concert 2 hrs away from our house...my mom planned it for me and my best friend (her mom did the same thing) for a night in a hotel and the concert! It was awesome. My mom printed out the flyer for it and put it in my stocking rolled up.

Great ideas! Also, for the younger generation drivers, I was thinking bumper stickers, window stickers, steering wheel covers (in a small box), key chain accessories...or, what I am going to do for my husband is, a new vibrating shaving razor (he just tried one for the first time and fell in love!), batteries of course, lotto tickets, candy, game cards.

My 18 yr. old step son is getting; batteries, calculator (since him and my husband are always using mine), address book, candles (he really likes them), a card with a gift certificate to walmart (the only store we have here), and an Arizona Drivers Manual (he doesn't have his license yet). Also, for both of them, I am going to get them a religious cross (rosary) just to have something sentimental and precious they can keep forever.

I always feel that the perfect item to stuff a stocking with is a fake foot.

In the excitement of keeping up with early risers on Christmas morning, and getting ready for other company, breakfast might be neglected or delayed. How about stuffing some quick breakfast items in the stockings just before you go to bed Christmas Eve night?

Bath and Body Works (hand sanitizer, bath salts, shower gel, soap, candles), warm and cozy socks, jewelry, a movie or fave TV series, a CD or iTunes card

I do one of two things each year for my family for Christmas (especially my grandchildren). I make a homemade ornament of some sort and send them early so they can enjoy them on their tree during the holiday season.

I stuffed my wife's stocking with a lot of cool things like: a wallet, her favorite type of candy, body wash, hand made romantic certificates, a bath sponge, a bag of rose petals, candy canes, Christmas card, little wrapped boxes, and a ring.

I used to feel a real anti-climax when at the end of Christmas my children would be gloating over their presents and little treats in their stockings and I end up feeling feeling left out, even though I had presents from my hubby or children.

Post your favorite stocking stuffer ideas.

Batteries make great stocking stuffers!

By this time of year September's school supplies are running down. Fill stockings with supplies like pens, pencils and glue sticks.

By Linda

Here is my favorite ideas for stocking stuffers I always put in a orange. This keeps my young grandsons happy until I can make breakfast. For my girls I always try to find nice fuzzy slipper socks so they can put something warm on their feet first thing. My guys I usually fill their stockings with small items such as a little travel bottle of cologne and other men's travel items. Every one gets a new toothbrush and I also give my daughter's new journals every year. My oldest Daughter loves to read so I try to stick a small book in her stocking with a new bookmark. There are so many ways to make bookmarks that I can give her a new one each year with out having to make the same thing twice. If I send a stocking to a grownup far away I always put some cards and envelopes with personalized address labels made on my compuiter. Hope this gives you some ideas

well, I am a 27 yr old married woman and these are some things that are usually in my stocking that I always appreciate;

nail polish

nail files

bath stuff (new loofah and pouf, bath gel, bubble bath etc.)

candles

ditto on the fuzzy socks!

little box of chocolate

different vareities of tea or hot chocolate

paperback novel

hope that gets ya going!

panties are great

candy

candles

picture frames

socks

movies

phone cover

pens

journal

make up

jewlery

Things I love to get in my stockings:

more fuzzy sox

lip gloss

perfume

bath salts

scented bath beads

body lotion

certificate for a massage or facial

dvd's

i could do with a new pair of Black Tights..!!! ok mum..?

I like to go to the dollar stores to find stocking stuffers. It's amazing what you can find for just $1.00

Well every year since I was about 13 I would get:

-Orange Chocolate

-Dvd

-gift certificate for a manicure

-journal with a pen

-disposable camera

-a rain check book

the rain check book was probably my favourite because my mum would make then herself and give them to my brother and sister and myself and they would say like "15 minute massage" or "free bedroom cleaning" or as we got older "borrow the car for a night" just fun things like that I really enjoyed so maybe your kids will too and here's another idea, when I was pregnant my mum and my aunts would make little booties and knit up little jackets or face cloths for my daughter I loved them!

Here is a great idea. It really wouldnt fit well in a stocking, as it is very long in height, but I paint stars on ceilings for folks that live close by (I also can paint them on poster board). Just look outside and lok up at the sky, thats what the ceiling will lok like, even on a poster board when I get through. It will be the size of a skylight you would purchase, shipped in a cyclinder, but not "mega costly, for the person who has everything already, and the frugal shopper.

When I was a child (eons ago!) my dad would bring home a box of oranges and we'd get a few in our stocking. For a kid born in the "prosperous 50's" this seemed downright stupid! Then my mother explained that when my dad was a child in the depression he would get a single orange for his entire Christmas,,,on a GOOD year. Sort of puts it all into perspevtive, doesn't it? My children ALWAYS get an orange in their stocking and as I put it in I say, "This is for you, Daddy."

i go to the dollar store heres the stuff my daughter gets

lip gloss

bath stuff\body spray

those washcloths that are balls you put into water they open up

christmas pen\

journal books

stickers

some of their jewelry is actually nice(beaded) bracelet /necklace

that flarp gooey stuff kids like

hair stuff(this is great there)

mini brush mini mirror

those bath tub tabs that color water

bath foam

i always have luck there

i usually take 2o bucks and go to town

boys are a lil harder to do there

the different color teddy bears are great as a gift just dress them up and for someone ya need to get a lil extra it is cute and thrifty

I need help getting my dad's stocking stuffed I have 3 sisters and a mom and we all have a hard time buying for him what should I do?

I always do a toothbrush, too (didn't see that noted yet). Merry Christmas!

I'm one of THOSE "coupon clippers".... My family and extended family never get tired of shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc. Last year I was able to assemble a basket of gourmet items (valued from $4 - $10 dollars originally) for my future sister-in-law with spices, seasonings and sauces that were being discontinued at my local grocery store. Note: NOT expired, just making rrom on their shelves for new lines of products. The store had them reduced to 4/$1.00. Some of the items were originally over $6.00 each. The basket was 25 cents at a tag sale and I was able to fill it for $3.00, not the nearly $60.00 it would have cost me had I paid full price!

Well these are some ideas I have gathered for men/my husbad:

cd/dvd repair kit

gum/mints

shaving kit

grooming supplies(deodorant, cologne, bodywash)

cellphone accessories

Ipod, MP3 or MP4

car fresheners

keychains

wallet

lottery scratch tickets

tylenol or other pain reliever

magazine for men (car, sports, workout)

humorous desktop calendar

gas card

money clip

massage gift certificate

fishing license

a little pouch of coins for a car wash

watch or new wedding ring

A small $1 photo album filled with pictures of yourself and kids at your nicest looking, silliest or from a special event or time spent with him.

A book of homemade coupons for a car detail, a night out with the guys, a night at with you, a favorite dish/dessert made for him, catering to his needs for one whole day, doing his chores, "naughty" coupons, massage, car wash anything- be creative!

My children: Ages 10,6,5 (all boys) and 1 (girl)

For the boys anything like:

coloring books (rolled up)

crayons, tape, glue, mini stapler

small building sets- lego, K'Nex

fake bugs and reptiles

playdoh

slime/flarp

hair styling stuff for spikes

not big on candy but they really like gum

books

flashcards (alphabet, multiplication etc)

card games or electronic handheld

hotwheels cars

yoyo

balls

musical instruments (have found a recorder/flute, harmonica, and tamborine at the $1 store)

movies

mini radio

watches

rubber/plastic dinosaurs or army men playsets

hot cocoa and other treats we don't get often

game console accesories: paddles, games, batteries

flashlights(definitely shake up)

pajamas

bubble bath

create an e-mail address for them to have and write their friends with- thats great spelling and punctuation practice.

Cookbooks for kids

craft supplies and ideas

for babies or girls:

bibs

rattles

clothes

babydolls

toothbrush

blocks

board or cloth books

small brush

hair things: bows, headbands

lotion

baby wash

shampoo

sippy cups/bottles

gas drops, infant tylenol or motrin

musical cd

balls

key ring

purse

ring stacker

toy cellphone

new washcloths

socks/shoes/booties

jewelry box (can be homemade)

jewelry (can also be homemade with beads)

The stockings are our favorite because those are specially ours and ours alone. We get a couple gifts each after that, but because we always use evryones stuff and share it all anyway we normally have family gifts: a box of books, movies, playdoh or craft supplies ETC..

My grandsons LOVE to receive a gold dollar coin in their stockings.

During this time of year i will go to the mall and ask for samples of perfume/cologne. They will give you the little sample bottles that are perfect to stuff stockings with.

I always got a tree ornament with the year on it. And when we were younger it was an engravable one with year and our name as there was three of us girls. I still love the idea to this day, and when I moved out on my own, I had a little collection for my own tree, with the memories behind them.