Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cat Peeing on Floor

Recently, my roommate and I decided to get two kittens. They are brothers and now, they are about 2 to 3 months old. We got them at 5 weeks old, and yes that is young, but they were going to be left in a box on the side of the road.

Flick is fine. He uses the litter box every time. Finn, on the other hand, recently started peeing on the floor. However, sometimes he will go in the litter box. No poop, just pee. Before, he was using the litter box fine. We haven't moved it or anything. Please help. How do we stop this?

By Britini from London, ON

By Maryeileen [76]11/13/2009

He needs to be seen by a vet; in fact, as with any new pets, they should be taken to a vet for a check-up and any necessary vaccinations.

By Colleen Stuchal [4]11/13/2009

I agree with the others, he may be sick. Also try giving him his own box. Some cats refuse to share the litter boxes.

By Penny [5]11/13/2009

Some cats also do not like to share a litter box or if they think its dirty they also will not use it or it could be he is sick try a second litter box and have your vet check him out good luck and take care.

By Susan [8]11/13/2009

Another thing is to neutralize the area that the cat peed on with vinegar and water. Never use any cleaning product with ammonia as cat urine is ammonia and they will go back to the same spot.

By Susan [8]11/13/2009

Sounds like a urinary tract infection. I have 2 cats and had this same situation one time. Please take him to the vet.

By Sandra [13]11/10/2009

He may be sick. I would take him to a vet. Have you changed the brand of litter you are using?

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cat Peeing on Floor

I have a cat who is 2 years old, he was neutered when he was 6 months old. In the last year he has started peeing on the floor. Sometimes next to his litter box even. I have to remind him to go to his litter box. Do you have any solutions for this problem or a way explain the change in behavior?

Cecile from Canada

A Towel

We have had luck in the past placing a towel over the spot (we slept with the towel a few nights so that it smelled like us). Another member of my family has used a Pheromone spray with some success that you can buy from your vet. You may want to be sure that your cat does not have a UTI. Also, if it is a male cat that has not be neutered he is scent marking the house and he should be altered. He will continue to urinate around your house. Good luck! (12/11/2001)

By hemsath

Sprinkle Vinegar

I once read somewhere to sprinkle vinegar on the areas where you don't want the cats to go. Now whether it works or not, I don't know, but it's worth a try. I don't think that it would leave an odor from the vinegar, either, since your just sprinkling it on. Hope it helps! (12/12/2001)

By April

Nature's Miracle

Oxiclean works very well. If you have a carpet shampooer or steam cleaner, put in a solution of Oxiclean instead of using carpet shampoo. If you don't have one, spray the area well with Oxiclean.

I'd check anything you use on a piece of carpet in a closet or out of the way place first to make sure it doesn't change the color of the carpet.

There are also enzyme products like Nature's Miracle that work, also. The problem with carpets is that they are thick and there is also padding and flooring beneath. Make sure that you get down to the flooring with whatever you use to really get rid of the smell. Any little bit left, even if you can't smell it, still smells like the place to do it to the pet. (12/12/2001)

By Susan

Here are some tips to try:

• Have your cat neutered or spayed if it is not already.

• Baking soda and water mixed and sprayed and left on for a couple of hours.

• Orange peelings in the area, to dissuade future use.

• Vinegar and water spray.

• Lacquer under carpet, let dry and then clean with any of above cleaners.

• Aluminum foil placed over the area with a rock or something to hold it down.

• Coin can, fill a aluminum can with five pennies, and shake at the cat when he is trying to use the box.

• Water bottle to spray at the cat when he is inappropriately using the spot on the carpet

• Last but not least, put a litter box there.
(09/02/2004)

By Racer

Bathroom Training

If you can put the cat in a bathroom and he pees on a rug in the bathroom instead of the litter box. Take a top from a storage bin and put the rug on it (training pads under the rug and or baking soda reduce odor). Next place litter on the rug see how it goes for a few days.

Home depot sells carpet runner. Get the stuff that is 49 cents a foot and place over his "Favorite" spots (cats don't like to get their paws wet).

Place a litter pan over his favorite spots. I just went through this myself. I even got an under the bed box and filled it with 35pounds of litter. I have six litter boxes in the area that was used for a bathroom and covered the area with runner, and set pans on top. Be patient. oust full strength or if you catch him baking soda immediately as it draws the pee out and then after it is somewhat dry remove from carpet and pour a liberal amount of oust on the spot. My hoover was operating overtime. Good luck and within three weeks this should improve things. I realize it is not the quick fix and of course remember the treats and praise when he uses the box.

P.S. When the enzyme cleaners work it can smell worse, just re-clean the area 24 hours later. Good luck. (09/22/2004)

By Mother of Pee Queen

Oxyclean, Vinegar and Oxyclean

I have used oxiclean and then followed up with white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, the peroxide kills the bacteria. I also mix baking soda and water and shampoo the mistake area. My girlfriend puts white pepper on her pale blue rug and cats do not go back to rugs, sofa or to her dirt in her plants. I am now planning to use the vinegar after reading this site. (11/15/2004)

By kathy

Out

Walmart sells a product called Out that works excellent. It contains enzymes and bacteria and also has a money back guarantee. It completely removes odor and prevents pets from going in the same place. Supermarkets also sell similar products that contain enzymes and bacteria. (11/18/2004)

By klawrence34

Rule Out Medical Problems

I'd rule out a medical problem, especially with a male cat. They tend to get feline urinary syndrome which can cause a blockage. Using unscented litter, or a recent change in kind used could also explain his behavior. (02/03/2006)

By cathy

Urinary Tract Disease

Since your cat is neutered and male, CHECK WITH YOUR VET about Urinary Tract Disease... it's most common in males after this. As they get older, it's worse. A big trigger to the constant urinating is a high ash content in their food (kind of like when we get a u.t.i. and eat salty foods) so a special food is needed. Purina makes a great Special Diet (red and white bag) and I think the wal-mart Special Kitty should have one. The vet's food was way to expensive and stinky: my mom has always had male cats, so this is first hand experience! Of course you should professionally clean the carpets if possible, because that smell is so hard to get rid of, and worse in summer! (02/03/2006)

By camo_angels

See a Vet

Take him to the vet asap. My cat started to do this and we took him to the vet. It turned out he had a blockage and we were lucky to have him treated when we did. He still had to be on an IV and be hospitalized for about a week. From that point on he has had to be on food made specifically for urinary tract health. (02/03/2006)

By brenda-ohio

Urinary Tract Infection

I'm dealing with the same problem with a cat with a urinary tract infection. Because it burns the cat has decided that it is the box that makes it burn. We are treating the infection and then my vet has recommended a different style of box with a different letter and a product called cataract (www.preciouscat.com) to draw her into using the new box. (02/05/2006)

By Jeanne

Nature's Miracle

There is a product called Nature's Miracle that you pour on the pee. Don't use soap first, just blot up the excess by standing on a folded towel placed over the pee, then pour this stuff on it. It has to soak the area. I used it on a couch, a chair and rugs. Darn cats. Three different episodes, three different cats. It left a water line on a white wing-back chair because that fabric was not water safe, but all the other areas left no mark and the smell is GONE. You can buy this stuff at most pet stores and farm stores that have pet areas. (07/23/2006)

By Sam

Archive: Cat Peeing on Floor

My cat is peeing on the floor and drinking lots of water.