Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Cat Peeing on Floor

0EmailPrintFollowSave

Recently, my roommate and I decided to get two kittens. They are brothers and now, they are about 2 to 3 months old. We got them at 5 weeks old, and yes that is young, but they were going to be left in a box on the side of the road.

Flick is fine. He uses the litter box every time. Finn, on the other hand, recently started peeing on the floor. However, sometimes he will go in the litter box. No poop, just pee. Before, he was using the litter box fine. We haven't moved it or anything. Please help. How do we stop this?

By Britini from London, ON

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Sandra 13 36 11/10/2009 Flag

He may be sick. I would take him to a vet. Have you changed the brand of litter you are using?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan 8 17 11/13/2009 Flag

Sounds like a urinary tract infection. I have 2 cats and had this same situation one time. Please take him to the vet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan 8 17 11/13/2009 Flag

Another thing is to neutralize the area that the cat peed on with vinegar and water. Never use any cleaning product with ammonia as cat urine is ammonia and they will go back to the same spot.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Penny 8 9 11/13/2009 Flag

Some cats also do not like to share a litter box or if they think its dirty they also will not use it or it could be he is sick try a second litter box and have your vet check him out good luck and take care.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Colleen Stuchal 6 76 11/13/2009 Flag

I agree with the others, he may be sick. Also try giving him his own box. Some cats refuse to share the litter boxes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Maryeileen 76 1,143 11/13/2009 Flag

He needs to be seen by a vet; in fact, as with any new pets, they should be taken to a vet for a check-up and any necessary vaccinations.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Cat Peeing on Floor

I have a cat who is 2 years old, he was neutered when he was 6 months old. In the last year he has started peeing on the floor.

Archive: Cat Peeing on Floor

My cat is peeing on the floor and drinking lots of water.

Todd from Owen Sound, Canada

Feedback:

RE: Cat Peeing on Floor

If the cat is drinking a lot, it could have kidney disease or diabetes. Put the cat in the bathroom with a clean empty litter box and wait for it to pee. When it does, collect some in a clean container (empty syringe is good or empty prescription bottle) and put it in the fridge if you can't get it to the vet right away. The vet will be able to see if there is any glucose in there, if it is concentrated, or if there are signs of infection. You will need to bring the cat to the vet too. Good luck. (02/14/2008)

By junebug_000

RE: Cat Peeing on Floor

Junebug is right, these symptoms could be diabetes (their symptoms: eating more but losing weight, breath that smells like nail polish remover, developing a peculiar walk). If it is diabetes your cat needs professional treatment fast, small animals can quickly die from dehydration. Wishing the best for your cat. (02/14/2008)

By perfume and powder

RE: Cat Peeing on Floor

I'm sorry, but I think your cat has a kidney disease. Please take your cat to a vet and make sure. Good luck. I hope I'm wrong. (02/14/2008)

By Smoochie

RE: Cat Peeing on Floor

(Sent in by email)

My cat started doing the same thing, he's an old guy, 16. I treated it as feline diabetes. I bought Precise cat food which is high protein and it really helped right away. http://www.precisepet.com/

A vet will have you giving insulin most likely. Because my cat is old and hates the vet, I treated it this way and it works well. (02/15/2008)

Sarah

RE: Cat Peeing on Floor

Just joining the "take your cat to the vet" chorus. It's definitely diabetes or kidney disease, and a special food isn't going to cure it. (02/15/2008)

By chretienne

RE: Cat Peeing on Floor

When my cat changed his urinary habits I thought it was so cute. He propped himself on the edge of the toilet bowl and did it there. I told my vet about it and his reply was " when a cat changes their usual spot for urinating it's a sign of too much ash in the diet". We changed his diet to a low ash one and he was fine after that. (02/15/2008)

By shebaro

RE: Cat Peeing on Floor

I know the primary problem seems like the urination issue, but if you do some research online, you will find that excessive thirst and urination are the bodies way of trying to "wash" something toxic out. Try looking up "earthclinic.com" for more advice. Was your cat exposed to anything toxic? I've heard that the Swiffer things can kill dogs and kids, and the Roundup spray for weeds is a neurotoxin. You might want to look through your cat's environment for dangers. Also, we've had great success with dandelion root powder to help animals and people detox. Good luck! (02/15/2008)

By Gina J.

RE: Cat Peeing on Floor

Visit the vet immediately. Our 13 yr. old kitty has failing kidneys, which is completely normal for this age. We started her on Science Diet KD, and she isn't urinating as much, but still drinks a lot of water. The vet said be sure she drinks as much as possible. Feline Urinary Syndrome and diabetes are also possibilities - that's why you need the vet.

Best way to collect a specimen: fill box with clean litter. Place sheet of plastic (cut a bag to make it flat) over the litter and use your hand to make a fist size indentation in one corner, also making a slight slope toward that corner. Be sure the plastic is big enough to hang over all the edges. Sprinkle a bit of litter over the plastic. When kitty pees, it will run to the low corner. Use a small, clean container to catch the liquid when you pick up the plastic. (02/15/2008)

By shishi

RE: Cat Peeing on Floor

Another possibility is Thyroid problems. My cat had the same problems, his thyroid levels were too low. They can check with a simple blood test. Good luck! (02/16/2008)

By diana1117

RE: Cat Peeing on Floor

Our neutered male cat began drinking excessive amounts of water and urinating frequently and in large amounts. We took him to the vet and my wife, who is an RN suggested we check the urine for glucose. This test is not normally done as part of routine testing, unless a problem is suspected. Sure enough his blood sugar was five times as high as normal!

We started him on an oral hypoglycemic med. but within 2 weeks he was showing signs of liver damage. Now he is on insulin 2 times daily every 12 hrs. We are still in the process of adjusting dosage, as the blood sugar is not controlled properly yet. REMEMBER - Drinking large amounts of water and frequent urination are classic signs of diabetes (in people as well as animals). (01/27/2009)

By R. W. B.