MiscellaneousGardening

Mushroom Fungus

Category Miscellaneous
Q: I have mushrooms growing in my flowerbed from a tree stump. Any ideas how to get rid of them?

A:

Your mushrooms won't hurt anything, but if you consider them unsightly, simply remove them with a spade or pick them by hand and either turn them under the soil or throw them in the compost pile. The mushroom is actually the reproductive structure of the larger fungus growing under ground. Try and remove them before they mature and have the chance to release their reproductive spores. This will help you reduce the population, but unless you can remove the stump from your flowerbed completely, you'll probably see more mushrooms in the future. They grow on decaying matter and in moist conditions; an old stump provides the perfect mushroom feast. On the bright side, the site of mushrooms growing in your garden is a sign that your soil is rich in organic matter.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Here is a lot of information about getting rid of fungus in your garden.

http://herbarium.lsa.umich.edu/

Click on Databases and look for the one on Fungus.

Help! I can not get rid of the mushrooms growing on and by a tree stump.

PLEZZZZ HELP! I have a new house that has just started growing spores and mushrooms by my shrubs. The ??spores?? look like puffy white/yellow insides of cooked marshmellows & STINKS. The mushrooms have a white'ish stem & and brown/grey'ish tip. I don't think I've let them grow enought to to see if the upper part will sprout outward or not. Right now it just lays down against the stem. Honestly it looks like a mans ding dong. I can't seem to find what they are or how to get rid of them. Anyone got any suggestions? THANKS!!!! -Cathy

Hi Kathy L.

This looks like the one you are talking about.

Stinkhorn fungi produce a fruiting body that sticks up through the lawn when mature, resembling a giant finger. The tip of the stalk is covered by spores in a gooey slime that stinks. The terrible odor attracts flies and other insects, which pick up and spread the spores. Dig out or hand-pick the stinkhorns.

Here's a picture:

http://www.ipm. … PIMP-FU.001.html

hello ,

i like this site very much and often visit it.

From here i learned many thing about mushrooms . now i want to grow mushrooms, but in our district the seed of the mushroom isn't available so i want to make it of my own I hope you will help me

Heehee that's kind of funny because I recently went to a garden show and I bought a mushroom growing kit... I love mushrooms!! Especially oyster mushrooms... very good...

Help!! My lawn is invaded by fairy mushroom rings that start up in the spring and form circles all over my lawn. They kill any grass they come in contact with and the soil becomes spongy. I dug down to take out the earth which was full of stringy fibres and white milky fluid. Is digging out all the contaminated earth my only solution to get rid of these rings?

Can anyone tell me what they think this white bushy fungus is growing in my backyard in the grass? Just spotted it yesterday in two small spots....

Karen Please feel free to email me at realyfe AT aol.com