Freezing Squash and Green Beans

I specifically want to know how to preserve fresh squash and green beans I do not like what freezing does to them they have no taste when cooked.If any one can help please answer. Thanks.

Squash once it hardens does pretty well just keeping it in a cool, dry place. It will keep for a long time that way. If you choose to freeze green beans it's best if you blanch them first, then lay them out on a cookie sheet in the freezer till they are frozen and bag. They retain the best flavor that way.

- Susan

I have had pretty good sucess with freezing squash by, wasing them good and allow to dry. Then cut them up however you wish. Place in freezer bags and freeze. I do not blanch them as it seems to make them mushy when thawed. I hope this will be some help to you

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to squash. However. I raise improved pinto beans and pick and snap them when they are young and just start to plump. I then blanch them, let them dry a little, freeze them on cookie sheets and package them in vaccum seal bags. They have been delicious three years later, cooked with smoked pork bits, onions and seasoning. Hope this helps.

thank u for the information on squash. freezing squash it was really helpful.but would like to know if u just use freezer bags or the vaccuum pack bags

I would to freeze fresh summer squash and green beans

WHAT DOES BLANCH MEAN

My neighbor sliced her squash, dipped it in flour , layed it out in single pieces on a large tray , put in to the freezer until frozen then into ziplock bags for ever how many you wish to fry at a time. It works!

Keep in mind no way tastes like fresh picked and cooked immediately.

Almost every method of freezing summer squash says to blanch it. My wife (she grew up on a farm) ignores this advice. She washes it, slices it, and puts it in zip-close freezer bags. Nothing more. Saves energy and doesn't unnecessarily heat up the kitchen. My guess is that blanching the squash is what takes the flavor out of it. Ours is always tasty just as if it had come straight out of the garden.

what if you just freeze fresh green beans without blanching first. Will they be ok?

What if you don't blanch the squash first? We have our first garden and we didn't know it had to be blanched before freezing and we have just been washing it, cutting it up, and freezing it. Will it still be edible?? :-(

Thank you

I tried freezing yellow squash a new way. I sliced and spread in a single layer in microwave and cooked for 45 seconds. Remove and cool. Place in freezer on cookie sheet in single layer until frozen - then bag. This way you can take out the amount you want to cook.

I do not freeze green beans. I can them in the pressure cooker.

My friend told me to put sliced squash on a cookie sheet and let heat through. Take the squash out of the oven and immediately put squash and cookie sheet in the freezer. Take out after about 15 minutes an bag the squash. she says the squash are not as soggy. She frys them in winter months.

I make up my squash ahead of time in whatever recipe I am using and just thaw and heat and serve later on.

You don't need to blanch it- they say it is done just to save the flavor.

-check out pick-your-own.org. It will tell you how to do just about any type of preserving.

I cook green beans, and cool completely, then freeze in zip lock bags. Months later they taste fresh from the garden.

Re: freezing green beans, I have been freezing green beans for years. cook them , without any seasoning untill they are completly cooked, cool put in freezer containers,and freeze, When you get ready to eat , put in water with your seasoning, cook untill the water is almost gone, serve. {put just enough water to start them cooking good}

Well I wish I would have found this web site an hour ago. I Would have followed Elaine's directions for freezing squash. (next year) Insted I cut, cleaned, cut into smaller slices and it's now boiling. When cooked I'll rine and put into freezer containers and freeze. Hope it works.

Yea can it

Freezing Squash
Freezing Squash
Food and Recipes FreezingJune 2, 2002
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Freezing Green Beans
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Scattering of dried pinto beans with red peppers and cilantro. Cooking Dried Beans
Freezing Pinto Beans
🎉
🎄