Browsing: Preventing Stains on Clothing

Bibs for Protecting Clothes

My husband is so smart. After hearing me complain about how our 9 and 12 year old boys are constantly getting food stains on their clothing during meal times, he really came up with a brilliant idea. He made several sets of napkin/bib clips just like the dentist uses. We now make sure that the boys have a large paper napkin fastened around the neck at meal times. We even take the napkin/bib clips with us to restaurants. Now anything that manages to splash or spill lands on the paper instead of their shirts. For extra protection, we have them wear an additional paper napkin across the lap. (We call it the two-napkin rule.)

Lynda

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

How do you make the bib clips? Thanks

- Joyce

Thanks for the great idea. Sometimes napkins don't always stay tucked in. As a single dad with two messy sons (ages 8 and 11)I like any idea that will save money on cleaning and laundry.This will be a new rule for my boys as soon as I buy or make the napkin/bib holders.

I have made many sets of bib clips for my kids and my nephews and nieces. I take two alligator clips and attach one to each end of a small beaded chain or to a piece of ribbon. That is all you do is attach a large paper napkin to one of the clips and then drape the napkin around the neck before attaching the other side of the napkin to the other clip. It is the same concept the dentist uses when he cleans your teeth.

Excuse me for my English initially, but I was very interested by your article. The idea to hang a large paper napkin around the neck with a chain as the dentist is really very well. Since I bought myself a small chain and I use it regularly to attach my towel around the my neck.

Great idea! I will start having my boys wear a paper napkin attached around their necks with alligator clips during dinner. I bet their shirts stay clean and stain free.

Dentist bibs

Wouldn't it be simpler still to cut a hole in the bottom of a large garbage bag, and put it over them like a big stain-preventing poncho? Or just have them eat naked?

Seems simpler than fiddling with alligator clips and so forth, and the effect on the kids' social skills is about the same.

Paper bib

I like this idea so much that I ordered napkin/bib clips from a dental supply company along with the paper bibs. Now my kids keep their clothes stain- free during meals. Great protection when eating spaghetti!

I keep an old shirt of my husbands hanging in the kitchen to use as a craft smock and sometimes big. I put it on my son backwards....button in the back....if he's eating a chocolate pudding or something messy that undoubtedly he'd slop on himself, I put the old shirt on him. He doesn't mind at all. Once the shirt is stained enough, I just throw away as my hubby has plenty of old shirts for that purpose! The idea of the napkins and alligator clips is a good one but seems like too much trouble. Also if your child is not too old for wearing a bib, there are disposable ones out there now and how what about those plastic smocks you can buy? That can just be wiped off and doesn't need laundering. I like the old shirt idea. I just hang it back up after a meal even if it got slopped on....it doesn't matter. After it's been used several times, it goes in the wash and I don't worry if the stains don't come out. I can pitch it since it's an old out of style shirt anyway.

Although I remeber my parents forcing me to wear my paper napkin like a bib, I find myself insisting my kids do the same. Napkins on th elap only cover so much. My kids spill on their shirts more than their laps, so in my opinion you are better off tucking your paper napkin in your shirt collar.

I have been making my kids wear a paper napkin tucked into their shirt collars while eating since thet turned 4 years old. Saves lots of money by protecting their clothing. My oldest is 14 and he still tucks his napkin in his collar because he likes to eat spaghetti and he can't seem to keep the sauce off his clothes, so the paper napkin stays.

I am 13 years old and my parents still make me wear a paper napkin tucked around my shirt collar when we eat. I don't do it at school, but they make me wear the napkin at home and in restaurants. I would rather wear my napkin on my lap but, they still make me wear it like a bib. I guess it is better than walking around with food stains on your shirt, but I still don't like it. I hope when I turn 16 they will stop making me do this.

Eating pasta is always a task for anyone. It seems everytime I eat some little sauce splatter has to get on my shirt. I've runied several good shirts by eating the pasta so I bought myself a case of dental bibs and bib clips to protect myself. Now everytime I eat I take out a bib, unfold it, and clip in on the clips. Works great and it saves money instead of buying new shirts. The case of bibs I bought are colored white, so whenever I am eating pasta out I can clip on one of the white bibs and no one usually recognizes the fact I have a bib on.

My boys are 8 and 10 and they both like to paint and do art projects including finger painting. We use napkin clips at the dinner table to secure a paper napkin while dining but when painting, I attach a sheet of newspaper to the napkin clips and then secure around their necks. This keeps their clothes clean.

I found the perfect product to protect your clothing.

Check out this website. www.messnomorecloth.com

I have to agree with Curious Reader. Why go out of your way to humiliate your children. I raised three boys, all turned out great. All spilled a little food from time to time and I washed their clothes until they were teenagers then they did their own laundry. Please, let's let the kids grow up. A twelve years old with a bib is rediculous in my opinion.

What about using the sweater clips we all have in our jewelry boxes? Plain ones for boys, fancy for girls if you so desire.

Man With Fresh Stain on Shirt
Preventing Stains on Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundrySeptember 13, 2002
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Woman Holding Up Shirt With Iron Burn
Wrinkle Free Clothes Without Ironing
Sports fans drinking at a sports bar.
How Much Should You Tip at a Sports Bar?
Diagram of how to make a clothes pin rocking chair.
Making a Clothes Pin Chair
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 4:43:14 PM on 10.0.0.123 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.