Reusing Tins

In the past, I've used zip closed bags to store things like powdered sugar, dry pasta, or bread crumbs, but it recently occurred to me that I have accumulated several (various sized) metal tins that are sitting empty in my pantry. Why not re-purpose them instead of buying more and more zip closure bags? So, yesterday I emptied my bag of powdered sugar into an old upright cylindrical cookie tin. I put a label on it so it's easy to see what's inside. It's so much easier to dip into a tin to measure out a portion than sticking my hand in a 'dusty' powdered sugar bag.

This opens up a whole new set of ideas when it comes to storage. Even if it's not for food, what can you be reusing for storage that you already have in your home?

By webduck from Port Orchard, WA

I love tins that come with food, etc., even ones I find at thrift-shops. Always something to put into them! Some cookies at the dollar store come in them! Remember when we had Sucrets tins for pins? Too bad they went plastic.

I recently began doing the same thing. I began storing my oatmeal in an old Folger's coffee container after I ran it through the dishwasher. I am using an old Jif peanut butter jar to put flaxseeds in. The possibilities are endless.

Those tins not as good as ziploc bags at keeping insects away -- unless they are stored in a freezer.

On the other hand, insect larvae have been proven to be fine cheap sources of really good quality protein. Especially if you never knew you ate them.

I mostly reuse plastic or glass jars with screw top lids ( pasta sauce, peanut butter jars) that I use for home made chocolate syrup, fudge or caramel sauce, etc. I have been reusing empty cocoa powder containers for baking soda. I hate having open boxes in my pantry as I don't like thinking of the bugs that have crawled in them. Yuck.

When I use to live in snow country I used an empty large popcorn tin for holding ice melt. The can had a pretty winter scene and I didn't have to look at the ugly bag. I also use one to store my very precious Christmas angel tree top. I was afraid of it getting crushed with all the other decorations so the angel has her own tin and it fits perfect.

This year I started reusing my old tins to wrap christmas presents! I used a popcorn tin to give movie theater tickets with some "movie" candy from the dollar store. I rolled a t-shirt and put it in a cookie tin that had a christmas theme on it. The possibilities are endless and they can be used again next year!

I purchased a roll of nice contact paper at the $ store and cover my tins,I label them with markers & some things, like powdered sugar I use a zip bag inside a tin. I usually freeze anything powder-y, flour-y, rice-y Pasta-y for at least a 2 days so I don't accidentally get that 'extra' protein Tomatohanger was referring to!

Hubby's starting to catch on to this idea. When we had a industrial-size can of fruit cocktail and no idea what to put it in (we were fresh out of empty plastic butter tubs.) Then he remembered the empty, washed coffee tin. The fruit cocktail fit perfectly and into the fridge it went!

I do this as well, for a very practical reason. Since the cat was banished outside (due to allergies), we've had a mouse problem. They can't get into the metal tins!

Uses for Cookie Tins
Reusing Tins
Popcorn Tin Filled with Four Types of Popcorn
Uses for Popcorn Tins
Game made form an Altoids tin.
Crafts Made Using Altoids Tins
Altoids and Other Mint Tins
Uses for Altoid Candy or Mint Tins
A cookie tin filled with cookies.
Uses for Cookie Tins
🎉
🎄