Ant Hills on a Paver Walkway

Question:

How to get rid of ants and ant hills on a paver walkway?

Buttercup from Michigan

Answer:

Buttercup, There are several effective ways to control ants, but control methods vary depending on the type of ant you're dealing with. Here is a link to information on this site that addresses control measures for several different types of ants:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf63572362.tip.html

Once you figure out how to get your ant problem under control, consider ways to prevent problems from reoccurring in the future. There are several good brands of sealers and joint sand stabilizers on the market. These are designed specifically to keep weeds and ants from taking up residence in between the cracks of landscaping pavers. Although I have not thoroughly researched individual brands, several claim to be environmentally friendly and seem like a good, long-lasting alternative to using chemicals. My friends who are landscapers tell me that using them when installing pavers has become standard industry practice among many professionals. The stabilizers form an almost impenetrable barrier between the paver cracks by adhering the sand grains to each other and locking them into the joints. This prevents sand loss due to settling, while keeping out weeds and ants.

Good luck!
Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

sprinkle with oatmeal. The ants eat it and swell up and die.

I use the sugar-borax mixture dissolved in a little water and soak cotton balls. Put these on the anthills, or in a jar with holes poked in the lid and placed on the side so ants can get in. It takes a while, but they take the food back with them and the colonies are killed off. I had three of these in my yard for the better part of the summer. After one colony was killed off, I moved a jar to the next place I saw ants. Slowly, my yard became mine again.

Try pouring boiling water on the hill. Since the hill is located on/near a paved surface, the hot water won't make dead spots on your lawn, but it will kill the ants.

I find that each type of ant is attracted to something different...sugar or proteins. The tiny black ones in Texas are "sugar" ants, as are the lightest red ones.

But the "small red" ones that are really aggressive when stirred, are protein hunters. Pharoah ants are

similar to Carpenter ants in appearance but more "playful" and lively. Carpenter ants are after termites which are full of cellulose, I understand, often eating into the termite trails of wood as well. Pharoah ants are fairly harmless eating dead bugs mostly, cleaning up the garden. The sugar ants are harmless as well, I hear.

The huge FIRE ANTS and the medium fire ants are

easy to recognize because they are fighters and are darkest red in color, stinging to protect and defend their territory,often bullies to smaller ants. All ants don't need eradication, you know, because many perform a good function.

One might checktheir children and their own habits to see if any of them are dropping popcycle sticks, candy pieces, bubble gum, sugared gum, fruit, or juices/colas, ice cream, chocolate,etc in the paths/yard/garden.Once this is corrected, one might not find many ants because they will have nothing with which to support themselves and their queen . If we just concentrate on those that hurt

humans we can also try to make peace with the others and teach our children the same? (I hope I am remembering my temporary workdays at a pest control center correctly after several years of absence.)

We are to have dominion over all creatures

on the Earth, according to the Holy Bible, but not destroy them all, as many who don't understand this do. Some laws have gone ridiculously overboard protecting some creatures, and I don't advocate

protecting creature life over human life. God clearly

describes how we are to learn from even the lowly ant

as to working a lot, teamwork, harvesting, and storing for times when we may not be able to do so. He obviously created the ant with purpose in mind, don't you agree?He certainly speaks of the ant often. Good luck and God bless you and yours.

My grandmother would use her left over coffee

grinds.

I have found a great product for ants. I fight the little tiny black ones every year. They would show up in our kitchen and both bathrooms. I found a product called "Andro". I bought mine at Lowe's. I just sprinkles a few of the grandules around the outside of my house and we have seen no ants since. I'm not sure what is in it, but the workers take it back to the nest to feed the Queen and it kills her. Once she is dead the nest is gone. It is recommended for all types of ants. Works like a charm!!

Ant Hill in Forest
Getting Rid of Ant Hills
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsSeptember 7, 2006
Slip Meter
American Slip Meter Reviews
Black Ant
Natural Ant Deterrents
Grass Growing in Pavement Cracks
Solutions for Grass Growing in Pavement Cracks
Ants on the wall of a house.
Homemade Ant Killer Recipes
🎉
🎄