Homemade Bread Has a Cake-like Texture

I have recently started making my bread, but it seems to have a slightly cake-like texture to it. The dough is not too dry. I knead it well, and it rises. What can I do to give it a more bread-like texture? All help welcome.

By Carole from Chelmsford, UK

Are you using unbleached all purpose flour? What type of bread are you making? What kind of yeast are you using? Are you using a bread maker or doing it by hand? Are you using a cookbook recipe or?

Jo

Hi carole, are you using bread making flour? Normal flour doesn't give you good results. Do you add bread improver? this may help. Try and find a good bread making book, at the library. I have found some in charity stores, read read read and you will find the answers. Also buy a very good black loaf pan. The right tin also makes a big difference, hope this has helped you, you will get there. Practice makes perfect. regards gail from Qld Australia.

One of the secrets for good home made bread is to use your potato water for the liquid, the added starch makes it rise better and more texture. Also, a commom problem is that people use way to much flour, I find that the less flour i can use to make it kneadable is better, yes, dough may be a bit sticky, but use flour for your board and hands, this will eliminate the problem. My Aunt, was a cook, and taught me how to make bread when I was young, bless her heart. Hope this helps.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadMarch 6, 2011
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread
🎄
🍂