Recipe Calls For Can Of Cheddar Soup

I saw a recipe recently that used a can of cheddar soup. It's the only ingredient I need that I don't have and don't want to make a large pot of it to get the equivalent of one can of soup. Any suggestions?

Ms. Carmen from Visalia, CA

Try a little velvetta cheese.

vguy

I have used any can of cream of anything soup and added cheddar cheese. Also sometimes made cream sauce with cheese = cheese sauce. 1 to 2 cups will do. An easy way to do this is to put ingredients in a blender. Then heat cook in sauce pan. You may have to adjust the liquid added to your main recipe.

Campbells makes this soup in the smaller cans. You can also get Fiesta Cheddar for a real nice kick!

When the recipe calls for a can of soup it means to open the can, & put it in undiluted.

Campbells makes Cheddar Cheese soup and it;s available in most supermarkets. When recipes mention a can of cheddar cheese soup, they often have Campbells in mind. Make sure the recipe calls for condensed soup. If not, you'll need to dilute the soup with a can of milk (or water).

Alternatively, you can use the cheddar cheese powder from an easily-available box of Macaroni and Cheese. Just dilute as necessary.

Recipezaar has a recipe for Homemade Cream Style Soup Mix Substitute # 184827 which is great for can soup substitute. It makes 3 cups of dry mix and can be used for chicken, mushroom, and celery. Just add cheese for cheese soup, maybe a 1/2 cup. " For 1/2 a can, divide measurements in half." Good for smaller recipes. I keep this in my pantry all the time. My preference, but I like it better than the canned.

No cheddar cheese soup in your pantry ? Me either.

Make a white sauce, with milk and flour, then add a combination of Velveeta cheese, and mild cheddar cheese. A dash of salt, a little pepper. Stir until all the cheese is melted, and sauce is smooth.

I believe that a can of condensed soup is a bit over 10 oz. Then you add milk or water to the soup, to prepare it. ( dilute it ) The amount you add is another 10 oz. So that's about 20 oz of the soup/liquid mixture.

Maybe if you made 2 cups ( 16 oz) of the white sauce, with the added cheese, the recipe would come close to the taste the recipe intended.

Campbell's makes a great cheese soup. I use it instead of velveeta for nachos. They also make a nacho cheese soup that is great. Cheaper and works just as good.

Many thanks for all the info. I never had this kind of soup from a can but didn't want to run to the store for one item. I ended up using the "cream of anything" mix I had in the pantry and adding both Velveeta and some sharp cheddar to equal one can of soup. The recipe turned out great. ms. carmen