Making A Removable Door

I'm living with a family, in a room in their basement. They've been wonderful in accepting me and Roadie (fat, sweet, tabby cat), a cat that has been known to pee on the carpet at times. We've tried unsuccessfully to let him upstairs. He keeps peeing in the same spot (on the couch, often right in front of us).

We've been keeping him in my room and it seems to be working. The problem is that I'd like to let him roam in the basement but there's no door between the levels. Is there a way to create a removable "door" of some sort? I don't have a lot of $$$ but would love to leave my door open and let him roam down here. I've already tried (unsuccessfully) using a baby gate. I've included a picture of the hallway and landing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dawn and Roadie from Apple Valley, MN

Hi Dawn,

We used to have ferrets and wanted to contain them as well, but because they were small the typical baby gate didn't work as they could wriggle through. We bought pieces of flexible plexi-glass (Lowes or Home Depot) and just sort of flexed them along the wall so that it made a curved "gate" of sorts. It was slick so the ferrets (and maybe your cat) couldn't scale it. It works a little better if you can wedge it along a door frame, but will work with a slick wall too. You just need to get it a foot or more wider than your wall-to-wall measurement so you have some pressure from the plexi-glass to hold it in place. They will cut it for you at Lowes and Home Depot and there is no extra charge for it. Probably runs around $15 for a "gate".

The main problem is that the plexi-glass is close to clear and a lot of people don't see it if they aren't paying attention. If you walk into it, you can trip and fall over it, and the plexi-glass can crack and break under a lot of weight - just bumping hard into it won't hurt it though. Decals or colored tape across the top edge helped make it more visible.

I don't have cats, so really I am not sure if this would work. What about those screen doors at Lowes that are really just screens without any wood.I think it's just screen wire taped to the door frame. Like I say, I don't have cats, so I'm not sure if that would work. Good luck.

Just put a full screen door in the hallway for a door.that way the cat can see through and it will be visable enough so you won't run into it.I have a friend who did this to keep her cats out of certain rooms

If declawed, try a full screen door. If the cat has claws and trys to climb, put glass in the lower portion.

Get two spring curtain rods and a sheet. If you have a sewing machine available, make another pocket at the end that doesn't have one. This makes a great screen type door. You could also use a shower curtain for this.

Now that you have received some good advice on making a temporary door, I just wanted to mention. My parents are both vets, and anytime a cat (or dog) use the bathroom outside of their litter box, especially right in front of you, that is more than likely a sign that they are ill. It could be that they have urinary troubles (FUS, crystals, pain, infection), or other health concerns. Doing something 'naughty' in front of you is their way of screaming for help. Have your vet provide a full physical including a blood panel as well as a urinalysis ASAP!

Home and Garden Home Improvement DoorsApril 22, 2008
Door Hinge
Fixing Loose Door Hinges
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
Bite Plane
Maintaining a Bite Plane
Squeaky Door Hinge
Making a Door Squeak