How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

How can I remove the glue from a "My Name Is" sticker on a polyester shirt?

By Bernadette from NJ

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Hairspray or vinegar also work very well!

Best Answer

A solvent that you can get at Home Depot: Goof Off. It removed all the adhesive left on a couple of hockey jerseys that I took the name bars off of in seconds.

Best Answer

I just voted and placed the I VOTED sticker on the lapel of my new polyester jacket only to find out it left a adhesive stain when I peeled it off later. My girlfriend suggested placing scotch tape across the area and pressing down with your finger then quickly ripping it off. Worked like a charm!

Best Answer

Use duct tape to take off the sticky stuff and then wash it to remove the residue.

Best Answer

Rub some cornstarch baby powder on it. Then brush off with a clothes brush, wash in warm water. Do not dryer dry unless you see it is off. If not, take a wet washcloth and rub it like you would a stain. Do not use any applications that would have an oil base to it. This will enhance the stain after the glue is off.

I had this problem too. I ended up soaking my shirt for a long time to try and loosen the sticky stuff and ended up having to pick it of piece by piece. Annoying, but my shirt still looks fine and it didn't cost me anything but time.

We used Shout stain removal on a white baseball jersey. Which had a white sticker that you would put a write a number on. The area was soaked with it over an hour then scrubbed with a medium brush in warm water. Then washed it came off pretty easy.

Goo Gone worked quickly. Spray on rub and it dries the glue and peel off immediately.

Answer

My daughter has splatters of spray adhesive on her polyester parka. I have tried going over it with an iron with a cloth on top with little success. How can I remove the adhesive stains?

By Yvonne

Answers:

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

Did you try Goo Gone? I'd read the instructions first, but it's a great adhesive remover.

Also, the original Dawn dishwashing liquid is a great grease dissolver.

Recently I found that Caress bath soap bar and bath gel remove my adhesive medical sticker residue from my skin. I used to use nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol, but this is much nicer.

I hope one of these work for you and good luck. (08/20/2010)

By metroplex

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used Stitchwichery on the wrong side of a pair of sweatpants. I did read the question regarding removal from polyester, but now I am desperate for help removing the glue from my son-in-laws very expensive sweats. I haven't told him yet what I did. Help. I have tried a hot iron and terry cloth towel method, Goo Gone, and stain remover. Nothing helps. Thanks.

By Sandra from Burlington, MA

Answers:

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

I didn't have Goo Be Gone, but it reminded me of "hand soap". A product I picked up at the 99 cent store. They don't sell it there any more, but I've seen it at hardware stores, and I bet automotive stores would have it too! It comes in a little tub, looks like a 16oz sour cream container. It contains pumice and says it removes grease, grime, dirt, ink, odors, paint, and much more. I used it on some clothes adhesive and it took it right off, I also use it for cleaning the fridge, especially the handles, and everything else that is hard to clean. Amazing how easy it works, hardly any elbow grease needed at all. I'm starting to think this is the only product one needs around the house. (07/21/2010)

By jcdines

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have removed a patch from a shirt, but the glue won't come off. I tried using an iron with no success. Any ideas?

By Shelby from Grosse Ile, MI

Answers:

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

Have you tried Goo Gone? It will usually remove any sticky substance. (02/11/2010)

By WeeWillie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I tried to use iron-on letters on a shirt. The letters did not stick, but the adhesive did. Any suggestions on removing the adhesive?

Jennifer from Casper, WY

Answers:

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

Deep Woods Off (bug spray) removes tree sap from clothes, so perhaps it would also remove adhesive. (01/06/2008)

By carolb

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

I just used the paper towel trick by placing the paper towel over the adhesive, putting a cloth over the towel, and ironing. It worked like a charm. Thanks! (04/15/2008)

By Early Retaliation

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

Just used GOO GONE successfully to take adhesive out of a Spandex and Rayon garment thanks to ThriftyFun! (07/25/2008)

By clee

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

Hairspray or vinegar also work very well! (08/08/2008)

By nayy

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

A solvent that you can get at Home Depot; Goof Off. It removed all the adhesive left on a couple of hockey jerseys that I took the name bars off of in seconds. (09/11/2008)

By bob

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

Brake cleaner (non flammable) works instantly on polyester to remove sticker adhesive out of clothing. (10/02/2008)

How to Remove Sticker Adhesive

I just voted and placed the "I VOTED" sticker on the lapel of my new polyester jacket only to find out it left an adhesive stain when I peeled it off later. My girlfriend suggested placing scotch tape across the area and pressing down with your finger then quickly ripping it off. Worked like a charm! (11/04/2008)

By John

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

The scotch tape idea from John is the best. I just took off sticker glue from a cotton sweater that has been there through several washes. (11/15/2008)

By Jimmy

How to Remove Adhesive from Clothes

I used the scotch tape method, as I like to avoid chemicals whenever possible. It worked eventually. Do not give up with only one application. I did it over and over - sometimes grabbing a piece that was pulling up with the tape to "help" it off. It did work well, though it takes some determination. Still way better than having to use chemicals in my opinion. (01/14/2009)

By J in NC.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
roll of tape
Removing Tape Residue From Clothing and Fabric
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 17, 2010
Removing a bandaid and leaving behind some adhesive residue.
Removing Adhesive Residue on Skin
applying adhesive on a window
Removing Adhesive from Glass
Plexiglass
Removing Adhesive from Plexiglass
Excess Adhesive on Floor Tiles
Removing Excess Adhesive From Floor Tiles
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 1:11:41 PM on 10.0.0.239 in 475 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.