40th Birthday Party Ideas

I am planning a 40th birthday party for my mom, and need help with ideas. I want it to be a dressy occasion, something fun and very memorable. I have a color scheme (teal and purple, her favorite colors).

I've hired a DJ, and have a location with a dance floor, tables and chairs, but I'm not sure what else to do, such as games, and how to make sure everyone has fun and stays interested. I'm obviously not 40, so I'm not sure what would be especially appealing to this age group. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

By Blue06 from Portland, OR

Depending on the time of day, there are a lot of things you can do food-wise without spending a bundle. Chips and dip, tortilla chips and salsa, etc. A gal I know heats cocktail wieners with BBQ sauce, then skewers them on toothpicks. Not expensive, but adds a touch of class.

For music, the "oldies" like the Eagles, BeeGees, Fleetwood Mac (I confess, I liked Barry Manilow). whatever music your mom likes... on a borrowed stereo or CD player.

Gifts? Again, when I was young and newly-married and broke, I used a small notepad and colorful pen and wrote a coupon book for those little favors my first hubby liked. Maybe your mom would appreciate coupons for you to take her out to dinner, or come in to cook for her, or clean the fridge. Even a home manicure-pedicure might be appreciated, if your mom's fashion-conscious.

btw. I think your mom's lucky to have a thoughtful kid like you!

A cupcake with candles on it for a 40th birthday.
40th Birthday Party Ideas
Holidays and Parties Parties BirthdayApril 19, 2009
Bicycle Themed Birthday Party
Bicycle Themed Birthday Party Ideas
swiss army knife
40th Birthday Gift Ideas for Men
Display of items surrounding a silver ball ornament with 40 written on it
40th Birthday Party Centerpiece Ideas
40th Birthday Posters and Photos
Making 40th Birthday Posters and Photos