Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Unclogging a Bathroom Sink

My bathroom sinks keep clogging up, repeated use of Drano is not working. Help!

By Icu3 from Columbus

By Beth [25]01/30/2011

If the stopper in your sink doesn't pull out, you will need to get under the sink and undo what holds it in. Once you get that out you will probably find a lot of hair and gunk.

By susan [33]01/29/2011

You need a really good plunger. I had the same trouble and a relative told me of a plunger they'd gotten that was really good. It was not one of the expensive ones either. Once I got it I tried it on my stubborn sink and "low and behold" it worked. For the first time in years after using draino etc. on the sink, my drain was working like brand new. I shudder to think how much damage I did to the pipes with all the expensive drain cleaners.

By Jonnie Shambarger [2]01/29/2011

When mine starts running slow I take the U joint under the sink off and clean it out as that is where most of the hair and 'gunk' builds up. Be sure to have a bucket or other sizable pot or pan to catch any water that may be there.

By Anonymous [848]01/28/2011

It's really easy, I promise! Being that it's a bathroom sink it's probably just hair with gunk buildup clogging it. In most cases the clog is just within an inch or so below the sink level. Instead of continuing to use chemicals, especially if the pipes are not PVC, just remove the sink draining stopper, take some sort of heavy duty wire (like a wire clothes hanger) and make a small fish hook style hook at one end of the wire and then put it down the drain and start pulling the hair and gunk out. If it's one of the kind of sink stoppers that you can't get removed by turning and lifting then you'll just have to have a little more patience with maneuvering the wire down and back out with the hair and gunk build up. Take a deep breath if you have a weak stomach when you see whats doing the clogging. ;-)

By Chuck [6]01/28/2011

Try a foaming drain cleaner. One that says it will remove hair and sludge (gunk) such as liquid plumber.
Good luck.