Uses for Leftover Fabric Scraps

I have a ton of fabric pieces in fairly large sizes. I purchased a ton of them for using as clothing on my sculpture art dolls, I'll never be able to use it all up on those! I am just learning to sew on my machine. I would love to use them up in sewing projects. I have two daughters so it would be great to get some easy sewing ideas to create some fun things for them.

I have a suede waistcoat made of scraps. The scraps are of different colours and patterns, and most folk who saw it said it looked neat. You might need to do a fair bit of hand stitching, though, to join the scraps together.

Draw your pattern first, then make the panel out of scraps. Make the panels with a decent margin, say, 5cm / 2". Don't cut the excess material off until you have stitched all the panels together.

You can make almost anything - bags, lampshades, and so on.

Cloth scraps are great for making quilts

How old are you daughters? Yes, you can make lot of things for small girls with scraps. I made mine some tops in the shape of almost 3 corners with a draw string at the top & strings to tie in the back, also some shorts. They loved them. Search online for more info, good luck.

You can make scrunchies. Sew a tube about 10 inches long with the fabric inside out, then turn it, pull elastic through it pretty tight, then sew the ends. You could also make throw quilts, with a large piece of fleece or soft material as the back. We have lots of these snugglies around our house.

Thank you for all the tips :) my girls are 10 years old and 8 years old :) I love creating things for them but I'm still fairly new at machine sewing lol. I love it so far. I can hand sew a little but love learning on the machine :)

I love the idea of quilts I've always wanted to try that. is it difficult to do? especially for a beginner?

*recycleable gift bags

*make appliques by ironing onto fusible web and cutting out then fusing on to clothing etc.

*napkins

*make strips and sew together to make fabric "yarn" for knitting or weave for pillow covers.

*use fabric strips as ribbon on parcels.

One of my favorites is making pot holders with scraps. You can purchace a special material to go in the center that is heat resistant but I use old thick wash cloths and towels instead. I have also made dog toys with them.

Apron, very easy to make, can be made for birthday present too. With tiny scraps, fill-up cushion with them; perfect for yoga and exercises.

These are all wonderful ideas. I love making napkins that are colorful and setting the table which makes the meal seem special. I even have fun making napkin rings from leftover junk.

Also about the scrunchies idea. You can make a scrunchie for your pet's collar. Just make it an inch or so longer than the collar and scrunch it up. Your dog or kitty looks all dressed up. Mine has a green one on now for St. Pat's day. They are easy to make and fun to put on pets.

Also there is a group called the Linus group and they make quilts for Aids babies. Contact a local quilt store and see if they know of someone in your area that is from that group. Always good to give to those folks who protect our little ones.

I have a lot of scraps, too, and have been learning to crazy quilt. You can find instructions at There's www.caron-net.com/classes/classmayfiles/clasmay1.html and www.loopylace.com/crazyquiltstudio/lessons/gettingstart.htm There are lots of sites; these are my favorite so far. I'm uploading a picture from the loopylace site.

6" or 7 " squares pinned and sewn together (4 for each side) can become a nice project for your daughters to also learn how to make their own patch quilt pillow. Loose stuffing to be packed with their help will also help them appreciate crafting too. I taught my ganddaughters at 9 and 10 to first hand stitch, then gradually they learned how to make their own fleece pants on (slow speed for them) on the sewing machine.

Wow thank you all so much! Ha, ha I love the pet scrunchie idea too we have a chiuahua lol would be so cute. :) and love the idea of getting my girls involved in the sewing. my grandmother taught me a little when I was young, but we never had much time for her to teach me. So I just got the basics, she passed away three months ago at the age of 93 so she never got the chance to finish teaching me. Now it's up to me to learn and to pass it on to my girls :) Thanks so much everyone for the ideas! I so appreciate it :)

Hey I love scraps, you can make anything: Barbie clothes, Barbie beds, etc. for the girls. Sew a bunch of scraps together any old way then cut in squares and flip them around to make a new design. Sew them into pillows, bags, Christmas presents. Go to the library (I learn better when I can see how it is done in a book), there are tons of books about what to do with scraps. Don't give up sewing! I'm just back to it after 35 years and really love it. Good luck!

PS: some people make quilt-like greeting cards out of scraps!

Sounds like everyone is like me and has lots of scraps, maybe we aren't using our scraps because we are tired of them, after all we worked with them once. Do we need to trade some of our fabrics around, I for one would be willing to discuss ideas on a fabric exchange.

Perhaps we could make small panels of those scraps a certain size and trade if your scraps are really small. It might give someone without a machine a chance to make patchwork projects in exchange for some fabric they have or something.

Something to think about, might get some interaction going in communities.

I like the idea of trading fabric scraps!

Scrap Fabric Pencil Holder
Craft Ideas Using Scrap Fabric
Crafts Recycled CraftsMarch 17, 2009
Food Scraps
Uses for Food Scraps
Potholders From Fabric Scraps
Making Potholders From Fabric Scraps
sewing machine
Using Fabric Selvage Edges for Crafts
Craft Using Fleece
Crafts Using Fleece Scraps
🎄