Leukemia Positive Kitten Needs Good Home

I need to find a home for a leukemia positive kitten about 6 - 8 mos old. Found her at local dumpsters and I cannot keep her with my other cats who are negative. She is very sweet, a bit cross-eyed and desperately needs a new home asap. She's a dark tiger.tabby with white bib and feet. Please email me if anyone out there can give her a loving home.

Thanks,
Karyn from Natural Bridge, VA

Try to post her on your local craigs list. I would take her but I am in South Carolina

Try Pet Club of America and Petfinders.

http://www.petclub.org/foundpets.htm

http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

Good luck!

P.S. Positive-tested cats should not be introduced to a home that has negative-tested cats, however, false positives are very common so a cat that tests positive should be re-tested.

I have two cats, so, if they are negative they can't be with a cat who is positive?

Sandra, that is correct. I have edited my previous answer to read: Positive-tested cats should not be introduced to a home that has negative-tested cats, however, false positives are very common so a cat that tests positive should be re-tested.

Hello everyone, thank you for your ideas but I have found a home for this kitten. There is a sanctuary in Minnesota called Home for Life who will take her. I am getting her re-tested today with the IFA test which is required by HFL and then I will schedule a flight for her and they will pick her up at the airport. If you get a chance, check out their website, I have been told that I am very luck to have had these people offer to take her and that this is the best sanctuary for FIV and FELV positive cats. Thanks again.

Karyn

PS: Maryeileen you are quite right and as an extra note, the FELV virus can live outside the body for up to 2 hours, so if you pet or touch a cat and their saliva is on you, always wash thouroughly before touching any other cat. It can get on your clothes as well, so changing after contact with a positive cat is also essential.

I volunteered at our local shelter for quite a while. I chose to shelter a kitten with feline leukemia so he wouldn't be put down. I already had another healthy cat, but live in a two story house where the upper floor can be closed off from the lower floor. The kitten was kept upstairs and the other downstairs. The cats were never in contact with each other. The healthy cat stayed healthy and the sick kitty had a good home. He was such a special cat; we loved him dearly. He lived to be 6-1/2 years old and was never sick until the last two months of his life, where he went downhill quickly. When he died, he took a piece of our hearts with him. The only requirement is that they are kept separate from other cats. I considered finding another infected cat so he'd have someone to play with, but two cats upstairs would have been difficult. He was an absolutely fantastic pet that never cost us anything in medical bills; he seemed unbelievably healthy right up until he died. I now have another 'sick' cat that's the center of our household. It's hard to believe that Vets used to recommend putting pets like this down.

Pets AdoptingAugust 21, 2007
One Month Old Kittens
Feeding a One Month Old Kitten
Flea Bath
Giving a Kitten a Flea Bath
Black and White Kitten
Adopting a Kitten
Teething Kitten
Teething Kitten Advice
🎄