Browsing: Opening a Frozen Car Door

Minivan's Sliding Doors Freeze Shut

The sliding doors on my 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan keep freezing shut in the winter. How do I prevent this?

Christie from Durango, CO

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I was advised to wipe the rubber surrounding the door with silicone. It is sold as a liquid at the drug store.(not the type in a tube for plumbing etc.)

Best Answer

Every winter before temps drop to freezing, I spray the tracks and all around the inside of the doors where they seal with WD40. Works like a charm. No more frozen shut doors. You need to respray upon occasion to keep them from freezing. After having frozen shut doors several times one winter, grr. someone mentioned WD40 and out of desperation, plus I had a can on hand. I tried it. I have now been using it for several years. By the way, it doesn't hurt your paint either:-)

I had the same problem with my 2005 one. Traded it as I got sick of my son being late for school every time the doors were stuck.

Perhaps try spraying WD-40 all along the seals and do it often.

Or contact the dealership where you bought it and see what they have to say.

This may sound crazy but you should try it. WD-40 is a miracle tool. Google it and you will find a multitude of uses for WD-40. It displaces moisture from hinges and locks.

I live in Chicago and the problem has already happened over 5 times this year to BOTH DOORS! I will try the WD-40. Thanks!

Ok. So I see everyone with a Toyota Sienna in new england winter is suffering from frozen doors - me too. I have manual doors, they freeze shut when it's cold and there's any moisture in the air! I'd like to try the WD 40, but how do I do this if the doors are already frozen?

We don't have a garage. Help!

We don't have a garage. Help!

It happens to our Kia Sedona (new) as well - everytime it is below freezing (which is most of the winter in Canada!). The dealer said some lithium grease would do the trick and put it on the chain and rubber seals. It worked for two (warmer) days, and then we're right back to sliding doors not opening. I'm sure going to try the WD40. Thanks for the idea.

Our '04 minivan has this problem for a long time. WD40 does cure it but you will need to reapply it liberally throughout the winter.

By the looks of it there hasn't been a response in awhile. I have an 04 sienna which had the doors freeze shut at temps just below freezing, was extremely difficult to open until vehicle warmed up. The solution wasn't to lubricate, didn't work, but rather to replace the seals altogether. The 05 models and up have a re engineered seal, which upon replacing completely solved the problem.

We've been well below freezing, 10F and lower and have had no issues. There should be a Toyota campaign for this part, but there isn't. Cost was approx. $150 labour included. Try bugging Toyota head office, maybe enough complaints will lead to a campaign to replace an obviously poorly engineered part.

Spray the door jam with some wd40 or some pam cooking oil that should help.

Dear fellow Sienna owners,

I have experienced a similar problem over the years. I went to Google to search for help and came across this site. I called Toyota Corporate and they told me there was a service notice was sent to dealers in 2008. I have an appt. on Tuesday morning to see what they have to tell me. I will report back.

All the best for a wonderful holiday and new year to all.

Toadboy

Opening a Frozen Car Door
Opening a Frozen Car Door
Consumer Advice Cars Winter DrivingSeptember 17, 2008
Cabinet Door
Keeping Cabinet Doors From Slamming Shut
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Opening Frozen Car Door
Opening a Door That is Frozen Shut
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 19, 2016 at 10:06:38 PM on 10.0.0.99 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.