Glass Holiday Orbs

These beautiful ornaments would make a lovely addition to any holiday tree. You can make them to keep or give away. You have to make them in stages, over the course of a few days only because the paint is on the inside and needs time to dry completely. The actual time spent crafting and expense are minimal considering the results you will achieve with very little effort. Have fun!

Crafter's Note: I happened to find the glass ornaments at a yard sale, where I paid fifty cents for four. The original price was ninety-nine cents each. Retail price is still not bad considering how much you pay for ornaments these days.

Approximate Time Painting - 15 - 30 minutes. Drying - depends on weather, in humid weather it will take a few days. The final assembly takes about 5 - 10 minutes.

• clear glass ornaments, any shape
  • craft paints - I used acrylic craft, glass, and metallic paints
  • small plastic or paper cups
  • wired ribbon
  • craft glue
  • ornament hooks

Instructions:

1. Carefully remove the gold fixture at the top of your ornament. Choose your paint colors and, using one at a time, drip some on the inside glass at the top of the ornament. Use enough paint so that it will run down inside the ornament. As the paint moves, twist and turn the ornament to swirl the paint - this takes a little patience, but you can't make a mistake. You will swirl one paint color before adding another and all of your designs will be different.
  2. When the ornament is painted to your liking, turn it upside down over a small plastic or paper cup to allow the excess paint to drain. Check the ornament every so often and wipe any paint that has collected around the top on a paper towel. Allow the ornament to sit in the top of the cup until the paint is dry.
  3. When the paint has dried, insert the gold fixture and use wired ribbon (I liked the look of wide ribbon) to tie a bow around the top. Glue the ribbon in place and add an ornament hook.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Those are so very beautiful! I love them!

Very beautiful ornaments, and clever idea for painting them on the inside. As the weather gets cooler, I get more in the mood for these winter projects.

These are absolutely beautiful. I was looking at the glass paint tonight at the local art & craft store and found that it was $5.00 / jar (color). It didn't take long for my husband to realize that that was way more than what I had invested in the clear ornaments. I'm curious, will everyday, crafters, acryllic paints work or do you HAVE to use the glass paints? Please email the answer (if you don't mind) to mrs_myr_beachbum AT yahoo.com Thank You so much for your help!

These are absolutely beautiful. I was looking at the glass paint tonight at the local art & craft store and found that it was $5.00 / jar (color). It didn't take long for my husband to realize that that was way more than what I had invested in the clear ornaments... I'm curious, will everyday, crafters, acryllic paints work or do you HAVE to use the glass paints?

Do you have to use the glass paints to make these gorgeous ornaments or can you use the everyday crafters acryllic paints?

Homemade Christmas Ornaments
Homemade Christmas Ornaments
Crafts Christmas OrnamentsAugust 31, 2007
Pretzel Christmas Ornament
Making a Pretzel Christmas Ornament
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
finished spool and pipe cleaner reindeer
Making a Spool Reindeer
🎉
🎄